How much should I work out a day?

Options
I would like to work out everyday of the week. What I had originally planned was on days I work I would go on the treadmill for half an hour and then after the treadmill do some little workouts (jumping jacks, sit-ups, etc.) for about 5-10 minutes. Then on days I don't work take my dog for a walk, go on the treadmill for half an hour, do my little workout and then go on the treadmill again in the evening for half an hour again. Is it too much to go on the treadmill twice in one day? I don't want to be doing too much and then get discouraged and stop.

Replies

• Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    aren't you the same poster that wants to lose 50lbs in 5 months? If so, you're going to have to work out a lot harder than that every day.
  • ericalynn2525
    Options
    I asked if it was possible. Reading what people have said, I've decided to take it slower.
  • Michiiba
    Options
    Your body needs time to recover so working out everyday of the week isn't ideal, probably get tired of it also.

What I do is lift weights 3 times(M,W,F) a week and twice a week i'll do high intensity cardio on Wednesday or Friday and then again on Saturday or Sunday... usually jumping rope for 15-20mins.

Treadmill or walking the dog twice a day isn't going to hurt anything, but if your heart rate isn't going up your not really working anything out. Doesn't mean you have to kill yourself doing wind sprints or anything, but just casual walking is more of a convenience then a workout.

Hope that helps.
  • sarahmichel101
    sarahmichel101 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Your body needs time to recover so working out everyday of the week isn't ideal, probably get tired of it also.

What I do is lift weights 3 times(M,W,F) a week and twice a week i'll do high intensity cardio on Wednesday or Friday and then again on Saturday or Sunday... usually jumping rope for 15-20mins.

Treadmill or walking the dog twice a day isn't going to hurt anything, but if your heart rate isn't going up your not really working anything out. Doesn't mean you have to kill yourself doing wind sprints or anything, but just casual walking is more of a convenience then a workout.

Hope that helps.
    Hey there!
    I have been walking 7 days a week (2 times on Tuesday and Thursday) along with swimming laps 3-4 times a week. Its only been about a month, but it is going well for me thus far. Keep in mind, even though I am very out of shape I am only 23 and have a lot of energy. I don't think your plan is too much at all!

In response to this post, I do agree that strength training is important. However, I do disagree a little on the walking. For someone in my shape (Original poster may not be as bad as me) walking certainly gets my heart up. I now walk 3.8 to 4 mph, but still gets my heart going and the sweat flowing! I don't think it is the activity that should be evaluated here, I think it is the intensity.
  • Shoechick5
    Shoechick5 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I asked if it was possible. Reading what people have said, I've decided to take it slower.

Good plan
  • sarahmichel101
    Options

Good plan

You always hear people saying .5-2 lbs a week is safe and healthy. Maybe shoot for "try" for 40 but let yourself be happy with 30?
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    I work out 1.5 - 3 hours daily with very few rest days. I have to force myself to take off days just because I like the activity. It really depends on the person. We used to go hunting and gathering daily.. it's only recently we sit on our *kitten* all day and think that walking for 10 minutes is strenuous.
  • HittinMyGoals
    HittinMyGoals Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Sarahmichel and Michiiba are correct, not to beat a dead horse but how intense are your workouts? are you walking on the treadmill? Running? Whatever your fitness level is just figure out what is a "hard" workout and see how your body responses. Personally, I lift hard for 1 hour and then run/jog/walk (whatever I'm feeling like) for 30 minutes everyday. That works for me to meet my goals but obviously that is not for everyone. Good luck fella:)
  • sarahmichel101
    Options
    I work out 1.5 - 3 hours daily with very few rest days. I have to force myself to take off days just because I like the activity. It really depends on the person. We used to go hunting and gathering daily.. it's only recently we sit on our *kitten* all day and think that walking for 10 minutes is strenuous.
    You know after doing much research on the bones and diets of prehistoric as well as current hunter and gatherers, the thought that they constantly walked looking for food is a myth. Email me if you want to talk about it!