questions questions questions

Options
So I added sodium and cholestrol (sp?) to my food dairy to see maybe if thats where I am going wrong in my journey

What are the goals suppose to be or how could I find out what would be good for me? Ive heard that protein goal on here is pretty low and adding sodium the sodium goal is 2500. Seems like alot to me. and 300 for cholestrol?? I really gotta get this going since im trying something new to get off of my hump.

Does anyone find eating more than your three basic meals helpful?Like breakfast,snack,lunch,snack ect.

In the past at eating 1200 calories or eating my exercise calories I felt starving all the time. Now im eating more and lower cal. and sometimes dont get alot of my calories but I dont feel hungry anymore.Should I just eat anyway? Ive never heard of starvation mode till this site and its got me freaked out :). I know starving yourself is no good but I dont feel hungry anymore. Im usually only off of goal by a hundred or so.

what exercises do you find to be helping you loose weight or tone up? Ive been running,cycling and lifting weights and nothing :(. I wish I had a personal trainer and nutritionist on hand 24-7

Replies

• NYJetsFan
    Options
    Always eat your calories! You just need to make wise choices. Don't trick your body into thinking that it won't get food soon otherwise it won't get rid of fat, etc for fear that no more is coming!

2500 is the norm for sodium. I also find that the protein goal is lower than what I should be eating. Also, consider your fiber intake. It's really overwhelming sometimes, but once you figure out how to get the best calorie bang for your food buck, you'll be great.

Here's a website that might help: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/healthy-diet/NU00200
    Click on each one of the subjects for an idea of what your goals should be.
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Cholesterol and Sodium are maximums, not minimums, you want to eat less than that. But remember, they are still needed and used by your body, so you need to make sure you have enough, but eating way more than the "goal" on a regular basis would be bad for most people.

Calories is more of a ball park goal. Since a deficit is already figured in, if you go over, it won't really hurt much, and if your under it won't really hurt much (unless of course you're well under 1200 on a regular basis).

All of the other stuff you can track on MFP, you're "goal" is the RDA. Which is mid-range between minimum and maximum for a regular diet. You don't want to be way over or way under everyday, but you have a fair amount of wiggle room. Unless you're already deficient in something, then since you'll need more of it until you're no longer deficient, the RDA becomes a minimum.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    You've already gotten really good advice for most things, so I won't say the same thing.

The standard recommendation for cholesterol is under 300 mg per day. That is only if you are otherwise healthy and don't have a history of heart disease, high blood cholesterol, etc. If you have any of those things the recommendation drops to below 200 mg per day.

The standard recommendation for sodium is under 2300 mg per day. (It's been changed from 2500mg per day in the US.) That is only if you are otherwise healthy and don't have a history of heart disease, high blood pressure, etc. If you are at risk for those things, then the recommendation drops to under 1500 mg per day. However, if you have low blood pressure or neurocardiogenic syncopy, then you should consume more sodium to help elevate blood pressure to normal levels.

Any range that you get on any software program is going to be a standard range that is considered healthy for the average population. Not everyone falls under that balloon of healthy, average population, so I highly recommend checking with your doctor if you have any health issues.
  • NYJetsFan
    Options
    The standard recommendation for sodium is under 2300 mg per day. (It's been changed from 2500mg per day in the US.) That is only if you are otherwise healthy and don't have a history of heart disease, high blood pressure, etc. If you are at risk for those things, then the recommendation drops to under 1500 mg per day. However, if you have low blood pressure or neurocardiogenic syncopy, then you should consume more sodium to help elevate blood pressure to normal levels.

Tonya,
    Thanks for clearing that up! I had no idea that the recommendation for sodium changed. Never too old to learn!
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options

Tonya,
    Thanks for clearing that up! I had no idea that the recommendation for sodium changed. Never too old to learn!

Yeah, they change things every few years just to keep us on our toes. LOL I think that is why we do so many hours of continuing education. One of the benefits of being back in school with a focus on nutrition is that I get to learn the newest recommendations. I still don't like the new pyramid, though. Just adds work for those of us doing recommendations to people on their individual eating. ;)