Where are my rowers out there?

Options
Anyone out there feeling the burn on the rowing machine?
'Cause damn this is hard and I am dripping sweat all over my living room floor.

I have a water rower. It has a nice pull and the sloshing is quite nice in the morning.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WaterRower

Current goal is 5000 meters in 20 minutes but I also need to find a long-tern pace.
What are your goals?

Replies

• JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I did that machine ONE time. It's the only workout that has ever made me puke. :sick:
  • suncluster
    suncluster Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    My fit friend would say that is how you know it is working. I hate her...LOL

I did that machine ONE time. It's the only workout that has ever made me puke. :sick:
  • simbersea
    simbersea Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    I love rowing! I have a Concept 2 at home, and there is one at the gym. I think its the best single piece of equipment there is. Right now I am using it for intervals. I'm trying to get all my splits below 2 minutes.
  • NCSteveVH
    NCSteveVH Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Here's one! I row 3 times a week and love it! Sometimes I'll just row easy for 12K meters, other days I'll do some interval training. I use a Concept 2 rower at my work. If I had an extra $1200 sitting around, I'd buy one. But for now I'm the only one in my gym who uses it so let's not praise it too much or others may figure out what a great workout a rower can be....
  • simbersea
    Options

My coaches would have patted you on the back and said "good job, way to work" :drinker:
  • suncluster
    Options
    Pardon I am still new to the lingo. What is a split?
    I love rowing! I have a Concept 2 at home, and there is one at the gym. I think its the best single piece of equipment there is. Right now I am using it for intervals. I'm trying to get all my splits below 2 minutes.
  • craigheon
    craigheon Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I row mainly for warm-ups / cool downs. Every once in a while I'll do a 1000m row for time. I just started... best time so far was 4:50 for 1000m. Concept 2 Rowing machine ftw!
  • suncluster
    Options
    3x per week is my schedule. Trying real hard to find a pace that I can sustain. Tonight I am trying for 2:05.
    2:00 is too fast and 2:10 gets boring.
    Here's one! I row 3 times a week and love it! Sometimes I'll just row easy for 12K meters, other days I'll do some interval training. I use a Concept 2 rower at my work. If I had an extra $1200 sitting around, I'd buy one. But for now I'm the only one in my gym who uses it so let's not praise it too much or others may figure out what a great workout a rower can be....
  • NCSteveVH
    Options
    A split in indoor rowing is how fast you can row 500 meters....
  • simbersea
    Options
    500 meters :)

Avg rowers can avg 2 min splits, good rowers are 1:45-1:55. (These are women times, most men can easily do sub 2 splits)
  • NCSteveVH
    Options
    3x per week is my schedule. Trying real hard to find a pace that I can sustain. Tonight I am trying for 2:05.
    2:00 is too fast and 2:10 gets boring.

Nice! 2:05 splits are really good in my rowing world. I can keep that pace for interval training but am more in the 2:15 range for my 12K rows. But I'm getting more efficient every session.
  • simbersea
    Options
    The incredible thing about rowing is how versitile it is. You can change up your workout all the time. Try hitting your 5000 but keeping your strokes at a steady 23. Next time, try dropping your stroke rate down. Since the machine measures power, you will have to increase your power to keep the same time at the lower rate. Or try doing sits at race speed - around 31-33 strokes. That willwear you out fast :)
  • NCSteveVH
    Options
    I guess I better pull faster!
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Me! I love it!
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Oh man, I love rowing, but my gym doesn't have a machine. I grew up around it. Both of my parents were rowers (in Soviet Russia XD).
  • suncluster
    Options
    you mean I need to stay coherent during a row so I can watch the monitor? Ha, ha. I turn into the hulk - slobbering,sweating, and growling.

The incredible thing about rowing is how versitile it is. You can change up your workout all the time. Try hitting your 5000 but keeping your strokes at a steady 23. Next time, try dropping your stroke rate down. Since the machine measures power, you will have to increase your power to keep the same time at the lower rate. Or try doing sits at race speed - around 31-33 strokes. That willwear you out fast :)
  • dsnapp3
    dsnapp3 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I too love the rowing machine. I've been lucky to own a Concept 2 for the last 5 years or so. Currently, I'm primarily using it for warm ups - a quick 1500m, for my bodyweight training circuits I've been doing for the past few months (variations of squats, lunges, push ups, pull ups, dips, jumping jacks, etc)

When I do a cardio session, it's usually 5000m or 30 min (avg about 7250m - goal is 7500).

Here is a great training kind of program for rowers that I found and followed a bit on the Concept 2 forums:
    http://thepeteplan.wordpress.com/the-pete-plan/

Also, one approach I always have is to increase the avg split through the row with a goal to beat my previous time over the same distance. For example on a 5000m row, if my starting pace for the first 1000m split is 2:05, then I target 2:04 for the next, 2:03 next, etc until the final 500m and then it's a sprint.

Another approach while doing the above is to add an interval ladder session into a longer row. Say you're 2500m into a 5000m session - do a 30s sprint, 30sec easy row, 40s sprint, 40 sec east, 50 sprint, 50 easy, 1min sprint, 1m easy, and then continue on to finish the session. Great way to break it up and up the intensity for a bit of strength gain.

Enjoy
  • bmonagle
    bmonagle Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I just go 30 minutes pace 30- 33 set at 4 five times a week in the evening and on a recumbent stationary bike 7 days a week in the morning for 30 minutes. I have had good results
  • player30
    player30 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I Just started rowing three weeks ago & really like it. Currently I am just increasing time.
  • saschka7
    saschka7 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I am still a noobie at the rowing machine but I really like it. The only thing I hate about it is when I go to the gym, it;s in front of a window that faces full into the sun and I will NOT be that person who wears sunglasses indoors on a rowing machine (but I have been sorely tempted).

Once I got the technique down, I was amazed at what a good workout it is. I watched some videos on youtube and read up on some websites and thereby got some good pointers. Also, unlike the elliptical machine, it does not hurt my knees.