working out with a knee injury

I recently developed a knee injury and need to find a exercise program I can use to help me loose weight. Any suggestions?
Thank you

Replies

• SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Talk to a physiotherapist about what you can and cannot do with your knees. Some people find high volume bodyweight work to be killer and still manage to barbell squat, for others either would be absolutely impossible. You need expert advice tailored to your specific needs.
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    Weight loss happens purely due to a calorie deficit; eat less than your body burns, and you'll lose weight - no exercise required! That being said, exercise can definitely help you create that calorie deficit as well as help you maintain muscle mass as you lose weight. (My favourite part of exercise is that I get to eat more each day!)

Low impact exercises are going to be your friend - depending on the extent of your knee injury, you could try elliptical, stationary/outdoor biking, swimming. Pushups or other plank-based exercises might be possible, but it's hard to make recommendations without more details on your particular injury.

I'd like to reiterate that weight loss is all about the diet. Trust me, I've spent YEARS trying to out-exercise overeating, and it's just not worth it. Count your calories (MFP has some great tools for that!) and good luck with the knee!! :flowerforyou: