Sugar in non-fat food

Options
I have to severely limit my intake of sugar while l'm losing weight. Figured I'd go for the fat-free yogurts etc., until I read the nutritional info. and noticed that often the fat-free version has more sugar in it than the low-fat version. So now, for example, I'm eating regular, plain Greek yogurt with only 5 g of sugar, while my fat-free yogurt has twice that much sugar. READ LABELS CAREFULLY before you choose what's best for you.

Replies

• RominaSullivan
    Options
    I know, I don't get this and was meaning to write a post about it!

I drink 2% milk and was considering switching to 1% but noticed that the sugars and carbs were higher. The calorie & fat difference is not that much and since I tend to eat high in sugars anyway (fruits, etc), I don't know if the switch would be beneficial or not. And I hate the taste of 1% milk! so I only want to make the switch if it's REALLY better for me.

I don't understand this nutritional stuff that much so hopefully people will post some helpful answers here!

What's the best thing to do??
  • Alioth
    Alioth Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Agreed! How could we live without Greek yogurt? Manufacturers sneak corn syrup into all kinds of other low-fat or non-fat "diet" food. It's a trap. :frown: I recently bought some Breyer's no sugar added (Splenda) rich and creamy half-fat ice cream because it didn't have the corn syrup (unlike the nonfat frozen yogurt). 'Cause I really don't need a sugar rush right before bed. I used to wake up hungry around 2 am, and I don't anymore since I quit corn syrup.

I totally agree about 2% milk too, although since I started changing my eating habits, 1% has become a lot more tolerable to my tastebuds.