Wanting Advice

Options
Hi, I kinda want to get in touch with someone who has been naturally over weight. What I mean by that is their body has just settled there, not because they have a bad diet.

I am 20, 5'3, and am 230+, and I eat well. I have been going to the gym, and with all these components I am still 230+.

Really hoping if I could get in contact with someone whose been there... had that body that they eat well, exercises, yet it still keeps the 80+ lbs on, but have come through it or made progress.

Replies

• lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I have an endocrine disorder that makes loosing weight pretty challenging...so I kind of get where you are coming from. That having been said, if you are super accurate in measuring your intake, and you are working out consistently, it will come off. My ticker shows that I have lost 30lbs...but I started loosing weight before I joined here and am actually down 65lbs. It takes time, persistence and a whole lot of sweat equity in some cases...but you CAN do it. You might want to visit your doctor just to rule out any metabolic or endocrine problems just in case though.
  • Emberrise
    Emberrise Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have an endocrine disorder that makes loosing weight pretty challenging...so I kind of get where you are coming from. That having been said, if you are super accurate in measuring your intake, and you are working out consistently, it will come off. My ticker shows that I have lost 30lbs...but I started loosing weight before I joined here and am actually down 65lbs. It takes time, persistence and a whole lot of sweat equity in some cases...but you CAN do it. You might want to visit your doctor just to rule out any metabolic or endocrine problems just in case though.

Thanks, it's difficult because with effort I lose at most 4lbs and then I'll gain it back so easily... I've been to the doctor and she basically assumed I ate junk food for breakfast, lunch and dinner...... which is farthest from the truth.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Yes there are medical conditions than can influence weight, but basically, being overweight is down to energy balance. It's not about eating "well" or "healthy" vs eating "bad" or "unhealthy", it's about the energy that you're taking in and the energy that you're expending. Both of those things can be affected by medical issues, but before you go down that route, have you actually used MFP for a significant period of time? Have you determined an appropriate calorie deficit and tracked your food (weighing it all accurately) over a period of time?
  • d3mon4ngel
    d3mon4ngel Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    You can eat healthy food and still put on weight if you eat too much of it, just like you can eat junk food and still lose weight if you eat at a calorie deficit.

You asked for advice, so here's my 2 pence :smile:

Ensure you have put your settings in correctly. Just put in your everyday lifestyle, not including exercise.
    Set yourself a moderate deficit, and weigh and log all your food, every day.
    Remember that this is a marathon, not a sprint. You didn't gain weight overnight, so don't expect to lose it overnight either.
    Don't beat yourself up if you have a bad day and go over your calories. Sometimes life happens, it's no big deal.
    Eat at least half your exercise calories back.
    Take your before photos now! I realise there's a high chance that you dislike being caught on film, but trust me. When you compare photos in a few months or years time, you won't believe how much of a difference you've made.

Good luck - you can do this! :flowerforyou:
  • lindsaymarcin
    lindsaymarcin Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I was having this problem too for a long time....eating healthier (eating more fruits, veges, using olive oil, etc) and was even going to the gym. I'd walk, lift, and even got myself jogging up to 3 miles. I did this for almost 6 months and lost nothing! I was so frustrated that I gave up. It wasn't until this past November that I finally decided to talk to the doctor about my discouragement with losing weight. He told me that it didn't matter how healthy I ate or how much exercise I did, if I was still eating the same amount of calories (ex. 100 cal. candy bar or 100 cal. in sliced apples) I was not going to lose weight! He also informed me that if I wanted to lose a significant amount that I needed to get down to a 1200 calorie diet which would not be an easy task. He suggested looking into some calorie counting apps and go from there. So, mfp was the first app that showed up as being free and I thought I would give it a chance. I'm on a 1200 calorie diet now and though the first week was a bit of a struggle I have figured out what foods help me feel fuller and I drink a ton of water! I have bought a food scale and make sure to measure out all my food to the portion sizes listed on foods. This is the only way to do it right and have it work! Do not just "eye" it! I have been on here since November and it is the only thing that has worked for me. I hope it does for you too!
  • jcorpern
    jcorpern Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    You can eat healthy food and still put on weight if you eat too much of it, just like you can eat junk food and still lose weight if you eat at a calorie deficit.

You asked for advice, so here's my 2 pence :smile:

Ensure you have put your settings in correctly. Just put in your everyday lifestyle, not including exercise.
    Set yourself a moderate deficit, and weigh and log all your food, every day.
    Remember that this is a marathon, not a sprint. You didn't gain weight overnight, so don't expect to lose it overnight either.
    Don't beat yourself up if you have a bad day and go over your calories. Sometimes life happens, it's no big deal.
    Eat at least half your exercise calories back.
    Take your before photos now! I realise there's a high chance that you dislike being caught on film, but trust me. When you compare photos in a few months or years time, you won't believe how much of a difference you've made.

Good luck - you can do this! :flowerforyou:

This! Good sound advice!