Does anyone go to planet fitness?

Options
Do you REALLY feel comfortable there ? ( since their whole motto is no judgments''
AND the no scale at the gym policy- is it a blessing or just stupid to you?

Replies

• Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I hear they don't let you deadlift. No mi gusta
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    There was a scale at the one I went to so Idk where you got that.

Every franchise is different.
    One of the lovely ladies on my FL goes to one and they have a squat rack and she's allowed to deadlift.

I popped in one when I was home for Thanksgiving and they didn't even have a smith machine and a very strange set up.
    One of the ones I used to go to let me deadlift but didn't have squat racks.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options

One of the lovely ladies on my FL goes to one and they have a squat rack and she's allowed to deadlift.

I popped in one when I was home for Thanksgiving and they didn't even have a smith machine and a very strange set up.

LOL Smith Machine
  • prime853
    prime853 Posts: 519
    Options
    LOLD at smith machines

Planet fitness doesn't care about the people who go to it
    brb no deadlifting
    brb no squat racks
    brb brb brb chit overall gym

jokes on you if your wasting your money there
  • LishieFruit89
    Options

LOL Smith Machine

Yeah I know but it was surprising it didn't exist
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    getting rid of squat racks
    no deadlifting
    no "grunting" or "loud noises"
    lunk alarm

nope, I will pass…
  • MM_1982
    MM_1982 Posts: 374
    Options
    The commercials turn me off from that place. Any place that markets itself to "average Joe's" is not some place I'd like to workout at. Who wants to be average? Isn't the whole point of going to the gym is to be much better than average?

Plus, the free pizza, no deadlifts, and lunk alarms are just lulzy.
  • wanna_b_there
    wanna_b_there Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Planet Fatness
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Planet Fatness

Planet No Gainz
  • tthomas1976
    tthomas1976 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I go to LA Fitness. I had a PF membershipt for a while. I don't do the weights but I wasn't too keen on their locker rooms. They had this rubbery type stuff on the floor that you had to wipe your feet off and it was black so you couldn't see what you were walking on. Each person has their own needs but I want to see what I'm walking on, etc. Plus no pool. I decided to stay at LA Fit as it worked out better for me.
  • wanna_b_there
    wanna_b_there Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Planet Fatness

Planet No Gainz

Planet FartMess
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Train Hard......................or go to Planet Fitness
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    I might if I had never worked out before. But they just don't have what I need. And the "no judgement zone" thing is the judgiest thing ever.
  • LishieFruit89
    Options
    Seriously?!

Yeah, it isn't the *best* gym out there but for people who aren't comfortable in gyms, it's a pretty good place to start.
    Yeah, some of their business models are strange (pizza, etc).

But you don't need to be a ginormous d0uche about this gym.
    Especially since the rules and equipment vary by franchise.
    One of my friends has been very successful at her Planet Fitness.

So shut it.
  • xxnellie146xx
    xxnellie146xx Posts: 996 Member
    Options
    I'm sure they all differ, but I like the one I go to. Everyone is nice, they have a scale, weights, squat racks, and the other things people were saying they don't have. OP, I would check out the one closest to you and see if you like it as it seems that vary from gym to gym.
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    I have a membership and it works for me...My parents went there and they liked it because it is not Gold's gym. PF is NOT for those people looking to seriously build there body..more cardio and tone based. It all depends on what your goals are...
  • rlv20
    rlv20 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think it's important to realize that every single Planet Fitness is different. There are three within easy driving distance of me, but I only go to one because it has the equipment I want - dedicated lifting area, squat racks, smith machines, and a huge selection of free weights + all the cardio equipment you could ever want, tanning beds, massage chairs, etc.

The other two are glorified cardio mills and I haven't been back since checking them out once. I'd never pay for a membership there.

Go check out the one closest to you. If it suits your needs, it's certainly worth $10 per month.
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Who wants to be average? Isn't the whole point of going to the gym is to be much better than average?

Find a guy who weighs 350lbs. He wants to be average. It's a very narrow view to think everyone working out should just give up unless they aspire to be an Olympic athlete.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    Seriously?!

Yeah, it isn't the *best* gym out there but for people who aren't comfortable in gyms, it's a pretty good place to start.
    Yeah, some of their business models are strange (pizza, etc).

But you don't need to be a ginormous d0uche about this gym.
    Especially since the rules and equipment vary by franchise.
    One of my friends has been very successful at her Planet Fitness.

So shut it.

There are plenty of people on here who are going to hate on PF regardless. It's the trendy thing to do.

PF is a franchise, each location is owned and operated by different people. The PF location I go to doesn't use the lunk alarm and has no rules about deadlifting. My PF has more freeweights than most local gyms. Many locations DO have squat racks.

The two local gyms I know of have a history of employee thefts from lockers and many other disturbing things, I'll take PF for a fraction of the price.
  • maybeazure
    maybeazure Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Planet Fatness

Wow. Pretty sure you are the judgmental type person that makes a lot of people intimidated by the gym. My guess is that Planet Fitness isn't marketing itself to you. It's marketing itself to people like me. People who have no idea what a smith machine is, and don't want to dead lift. People who just want to lose weight and get more fit so we don't die early, and would rather not feel like we were being made fun of while we are doing it.