Stopping sugar cravings

Options
Besides Shakeology (cause I know many will post about it) is anyone aware of any real food or supplement that is supposed to curb sugar cravings?

Sharon

Replies

• healwithin
    Options
    My Doctor suggested that I take a teaspoon of Raw Walnut Oil when I am craving sweet. It seems to help!
    Also, I have in the past taken an Ayurvedic herb - Gymnema sylvestre (Shardunikha). My sense that it seemed to block the bodies ability to taste the sweet rather than stop the craving.....
    Also, yacon is a root that they make into syrup sort of like honey that is sweet tasting but has little to no insulin effect.
    Good Luck!
    Duncan
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    Options
    Not eating sugar.

I know that's a wimpy answer, but the less you eat sugar (and sugar substitutes), the more it'll taste disgusting. Know those people who say cake or cookies or whatever are gross? Yea they don't eat sugar, so it doesn't taste good.

The best way to get over the cravings is to force yourself to not eat it for a week or two. Then you won't have the cravings. Good luck!! :flowerforyou:
  • pitapocket
    pitapocket Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Not eating sugar.

I know that's a wimpy answer, but the less you eat sugar (and sugar substitutes), the more it'll taste disgusting. Know those people who say cake or cookies or whatever are gross? Yea they don't eat sugar, so it doesn't taste good.

The best way to get over the cravings is to force yourself to not eat it for a week or two. Then you won't have the cravings. Good luck!! :flowerforyou:

So True
  • telcochik
    telcochik Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. Most of the time I'm able to overcome the craving with willpower but this weekend I had an overpowering urge to eat something sweet. Sugar free chocolate pudding did the trick but I was curious to see how others overcome the urge when it strikes.

Walnut oil sounds interesting though. I'll do some research to see what I can find out about its properties.

Thanks!
    Sharon
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Not eating sugar.

I'm so sorry, I have to disagree a little with this statement. I have not eaten refined sugar for 8 years and I have not had sugar substitutes for about 4 years. I also avoid fruit juice and have for 8 years. But if you look at my diary you will see plenty of natural sugar (fruit). Because I still like sweet things. Cutting sugar out of your diet may not "stop" sugar cravings. But, for me, binging on grapes is better than eating a bag of oreos, so I've made my choice.

I'm not saying this to discourage or encourage anyone to not eat sugar, but you should know that not eating sugar may not diminish your love of sweets.
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Besides Shakeology (cause I know many will post about it) is anyone aware of any real food or supplement that is supposed to curb sugar cravings?

Sharon

Yeah eating Low carb...that is what has worked for me...other than that, I used to curb it with sugar free jello :heart:
  • Oranda
    Oranda Posts: 121
    Options
    I've heard the eating salty things makes you crave sugar and vice versa. So I would think that keeping your sodium intake in check may help with the sugar cravings as well. :)
  • think48
    think48 Posts: 366 Member
    Options

I'm so sorry, I have to disagree a little with this statement. I have not eaten refined sugar for 8 years and I have not had sugar substitutes for about 4 years. I also avoid fruit juice and have for 8 years. But if you look at my diary you will see plenty of natural sugar (fruit). Because I still like sweet things. Cutting sugar out of your diet may not "stop" sugar cravings. But, for me, binging on grapes is better than eating a bag of oreos, so I've made my choice.

I'm not saying this to discourage or encourage anyone to not eat sugar, but you should know that not eating sugar may not diminish your love of sweets.

I have to say, I agree with you. I gave up sugar for 40 days once during a fast. I am a HUGE sugar fan. I gave it all up. I craved it every minute of every one of those days. I fought it, but it never went away. I think some people just love the taste too much. I do agree, however, that in general the less you eat things, the less you crave them, but, that is not always the case.