Saying hello :-)

Options
Hi everyone, I'm new to mfp, signed up on Monday as I'm thinking about stopping ww as I've had varied success for a while and I often end up feel like I'm throwing money away, especially if I'm away with work and miss meetings. I thought I'd try doing both alongside each other to decide, but I think I've decided already. I'd like to lose a fair bit of weight, but do it healthily through diet and exercise, so please come and say hello.

Replies

• joaniegray
    joaniegray Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    hello - This is my first visit 'back' as I did weight watchers for 1 year, and lost 35 pounds (I am now 7 pounds to my goal). I found WW very good but cannot afford it. I joined WW last January and promised myself one year.

THIS is a good site, one only needs to be determined i think. i am hoping to lose the next 7 pounds here, and not to gain back the weight i lost.

What motivated me to losing the weight was hearing a gym trainer say only 20 percent of weight loss is due to exercise, 80 percent is what you eat! That plus learning that most of my weight gain has been due to emotional eating - those were the two things that got me going - so good luck, let's all do this together.

:flowerforyou:
  • girldownsouth
    girldownsouth Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Thanks, good luck with your last 7lbs!
  • bf43005
    bf43005 Posts: 287
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP. I have friends who had great success with WW but if you don't stick with it you will just gain the weight back (though that goes for anything). I have never done WW and don't understand the points system and it seems rather odd that fruit would be 0 points/calories as I've heard people explain.
    I enjoy MFP because I feel it's opened my eyes to the calories in things. That really jump started my weight loss. I have fallen in love with going to the gym, the friends I have made there, and the new found strength I have.
    Mostly what I wanted to say is this site is great if you use it, and I hope you will.
    Feel free to add me as a friend if you would like. Best of luck!!
  • PamelaLavender
    PamelaLavender Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Welcome - I flipped from WW's to MFP. I had success with WW's as I lost 100 lbs and learned something's but after a while and going through 3 different programs I felt I really wasn't getting my bang for the buck and was just paying to hear the same things over and over. Now I use the that 1 hr I spent attending the meeting and standing in line for weigh in for getting in my evening work out or go for an evening jog. I like the food journal here way better - love being able to track other things beside just points (cals, fat, fiber, sodium, ect. ) Not knocking WW's but I just like to know more than it's point value -

Feel free to add me.

Much success.
  • Mz745Li
    Options
    Hi there!! I joined this past Monday as well. I too have a considerable amount of weight to loose and found that this site is better much more friendlier than SparkPeople. I've never done WW, too expensive for me but previously using SP, I lost 15lbs.

Good Luck in Lost!!
  • girldownsouth
    girldownsouth Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I think the free fruit is too encourage people to eat fruit and veg instead of things like low calorie junk food for similar points value. Your points are calculated to account for free fruit and veg, but some people definitely abused it, I read things online where people were eating entire punnets of grapes in a sitting. So far I really like it here, the things I liked were the tracker, which is better on here, loads more in the database, and I love the nutrition stuff, I'm quite scientific and all that sort of thing makes it fun for me! I also liked the community, which again is better here, I'm already finding it really friendly and have gained a lot of motivation since joining. Think I'll be cancelling my ww membership before the next payment!
  • korede1989
    Options
    hello welcome to MFP.......nice to have you on board
  • Naaer
    Naaer Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    MFP is a GREAT website...I have lost seventeen pounds since last summer(I gained weight over the holidays...ugh) But am in the process of getting off the holiday weight...I have, also, done WW with success(I lost twenty pounds on it), but I gained it all back when I went off of the program...This program is FREE, so to me, this is a no-brainer...Plus--the support here is terrific and thiere is a TON of good information on this site...Welcome to MFP...

Reaan:bigsmile:
  • PamelaLavender
    PamelaLavender Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Girldownunder -

So true about the fruit & veggies most folks on WW's see Zero pt's and go gun ho on the eating but don't stop and realize that after a certain point if you consume enough cal's it's eventually has to add up; it cannot stay at zero forever and when they get on the scale they always complained about having a gain and all they ate was zero point fruits and veggies. Too many cal's in = a weight gain on the scale and there's no getting around that.

That's one of my main reasons for leaving and coming to MFP - I wanted to be able to track more than just points.