Advice Please on Alcohol

Options
Hi i am back trying to loose weight again.....i am after some advice please.

The big question is are all calories the same, ie if I choose to have a couple of glasses of wine instead of a sandwich, will this still be counted as the same calorie content and will I still loose weight at the same rate, or is there something else I need to be aware of with Alcohol calories.

:drinker:

Replies

• joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Hate to say it but I don't loose when I drink, even if it is counted in my cals.......
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Calories are equal in terms of energy, however a sandwich gives you fiber and vitamins and minerals and also carbohydrates, so if you are looking for a healthier option that will keep you going longer then a sandwich is the obvious choice. However if you eat a balanced diet, are meeting your macros (carbs, protein, fat) and your vitamin and mineral intakes then the odd glass of wine when you have leftover calories isn't going to hurt. However, if you decided to swap every sandwich for a couple of glasses of wine then you're going to have problems!
  • KinoM
    KinoM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    It's no different from other calories in that sense, but may affect your ability to choose healthy foods afterwards, and may exacerbate cravings for salty and fatty foods. But if that all fits into your calories for the week then go for it.
  • hastingsmassage
    hastingsmassage Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I lose 0 lbs when I have a glass or two of wine in the evening.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    The way I understand it is that your body will burn up the alcohol before it will any food calories. Therefore, the calories from food have a tendancy to turn to fat. I hope that someone here can explain this better.
  • lynheff
    lynheff Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    From a weight loss perspective, yes the calories are the same. But since alcohol doesn't fill you up or provide any nutrition, most people find that it leads to going over their calorie limit. In addition, if you are drinking with friends, there is usually some kind of high calorie food that goes along with the party. I usually order a club soda and save that 125-150 calories for something more filling. Hope that helps.
  • Rochester_mom
    Rochester_mom Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I am a wine lover, so it's hard for me to admit, but I lose more weight when I am off the booze. I find it hard to stay within my calorie range when I have two glasses of wine. Try it both ways keeping within your macros with and without wine and see what works best for you. Good luck!
  • davemap
    davemap Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I personally cant loose any weight if i drink at all even a couple on saturday seems to kill me, I read somewhere its due to metabolism having to stop processing normal and start clearing out alcohol (could be wrong i read this on the interweb)
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Hate to say it but I don't loose when I drink, even if it is counted in my cals.......

I'm with you. If I drink, no matter if it fits into my calories, it seems to work against me. I'm not even a heavy drinker. I think alcohol works differently on some people.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    So long as you accurately measure the quantity (I have a 125ml pub measure glass to make sure), record the calories and remain under your daily calorie allowance you will lose weight. Regular wine consumption certainly hasn't stopped me losing, and a couple of glasses will sometime help me get over a plateau.

However, I reckon it's a good idea to only drink out of your exercise calories, i.e. get all the nutrition you need from your food first and keep the booze for a treat. The lower your calorie goal, the more this matters.

Hence my MFP motto: "Will run for wine." :drinker:
  • SLLeask
    SLLeask Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I have lost weight whilst not altering my alcohol consumption. Yes, I would probably have lost more if I cut out alcohol. But since I am in this for the long haul and I enjoy alcohol, I flatly refuse to give it up! My journey to my goal weight may take a little longer but I shall be happy all the way! But that's just me, different strokes for different folks and all that! :flowerforyou:
  • emilyisbonkers
    emilyisbonkers Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    alcohol also lowers your inhibitions and you are more likely to eat more calories :(
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I've lost weight without giving up alcohol, but I do measure it carefully and log it accurately. I've also swapped a pre-dinner beer for a gin and slimline tonic, and really cut down on crisps, cheese and biscuits - the sort of things that "need" wine with them :wink:

But I've also made sure I do enough exercise so I have calories to spare for alchol without compromising a healthy varied diet with lots of lean meat/fish, fruit, veg, sensible carbs etc.
  • KinoM
    KinoM Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    In my own experience I've had regular drinks throughout my loss to date, and it's not caused any problems. Once you log it and fit it into your week, and don't make any food choices that are outside of your weekly targets, it's fine.
  • rachael1805
    rachael1805 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I'm not speaking from personal experience, but I have heard that the pressure alcohol puts on your liver to cleanse itself from alcohol inhibits the body from effectively shedding fat- no scientific proof, just hear-say...
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Calories are equal in terms of energy, however a sandwich gives you fiber and vitamins and minerals and also carbohydrates, so if you are looking for a healthier option that will keep you going longer then a sandwich is the obvious choice. However if you eat a balanced diet, are meeting your macros (carbs, protein, fat) and your vitamin and mineral intakes then the odd glass of wine when you have leftover calories isn't going to hurt. However, if you decided to swap every sandwich for a couple of glasses of wine then you're going to have problems!

Definitely this!
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    The water I mix with my scotch has 0 calories. Now then is the glass half full or empty?
  • tessiebear40
    tessiebear40 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I joined My Fitness Pal last June. My tracker is incorrect by the way, I am at goal since December after losing 21lbs. I wanted to lose weight but not drastically change my lifestyle as I needed to find a way to eat, drink and exercise in a way that I can sustain this for life. I lost weight while still drinking wine, etc. I exercised more if I wanted to have a drink while my 1200 cals a day were used on good, non processed food. I also do not eat more when I drink. I hope this helps but everyone is different
  • shell13b
    shell13b Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I wondered the same thing when I started dieting again...found this helpful

http://www.disabled-world.com/fitness/diets/alcohol-diet.php