Newbie Diabetic from Indy

Options
Hello! I've been using MFP off and on for the last four years now. I've been struggling with weight ever since graduating college and getting married. I was a body builder in college, taking my stacks and lifting five days and running 10 miles a week. Once I graduated and started working a second shift job to get my foot in the door, my healthy lifestyle went to hell. I just found out this week that I've developed Type 2 diabetes...somehow I knew this was coming, but I wasn't really prepared for it at 27 years old.

So here I am. Now equipped with the mentality that I have no choice in the matter. I have to get healthy now. Receiving this news at a younger age might have actually been a god send for me to actually open my eyes.

I'm finally getting together with a primary care physician next week to go over nutrition, medication, etc. I've just recently joined the local YMCA and going to get off to a great start of the year.

Currently at ~ 290lbs and have a goal of ~ 200lbs for starters. I know this is going to be slow and painful, but i'm looking forward to it.

I'll see you guys in the forums!

-Cody

Replies

• mrsirishred
    mrsirishred Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Cody, welcome to MFP. You have come to a great place to guide your efforts. You will find your recovery much easier than you expect if you are faithful in keeping your diary as it helps you be honest.with yourself. And getting back in an exercise routine will absolutely give you a rush that will make everything else in your day even better. Best of luck...you can live drug free and in control!
    Red
  • alyrpal
    alyrpal Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Cody, I am type 2. You can possibly beat it or hold it at bay with weight loss and increased exercise as you probably know. You are a big guy and the strain on your knees and hips could lead to arthritis in later life so avoid weights and running, its cycling and swimming you want to go for. I am only about 25lbs overweight and I am an impatient person. What I am doing is riding my bike hard for an hour a day which lops off 700 calories off what I ate. This is huge help to your diet. Doing exercise when you are on a diet you have to be careful, two hours cycling is too much for me. I get very tired for the rest of the day, but an hour is ok. If its bad weather I walk or row on a machine (boring ).
    Good luck with your efforts you have chosen a great way to loose weight, a food diary is the best. I'm here because I did it successfully before, but lapsed. It wont happen again.
    Cheers
    Al
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    Hi Cody! The fact that you have a history of enjoying exercise is going to help you find and stick to an exercise program you enjoy. Read everything you can about diabetes and ask your doctor for a referral to a diabetes educator so you can gain as much information as possible. Welcome to the group. ~Lynn /Glucerna