calories over a day or over a week?

Options
Just wondering how everyone tracks their calories. I like to bank mine so that I can be over on some days and under on some while staying within my goal. Is this going to hurt my weight loss?

Replies

• davemap
    davemap Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Also curious of answer to this, had awful day today but had mass amount of calories left last 2 days
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I did alternate day IF for weight loss and it went more by weekly calories. Now in maintenance I go by weekly, instead of daily.
  • PudgyFellow123
    PudgyFellow123 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    from what I understand, it's a weekly count. So yes, if you go over on some days, you can make up for it within that week.

I personally wouldn't try to have a off day on purpose but you're only human.
  • togmo
    togmo Posts: 257
    Options
    Generally I think the calculators you use estimate things on a weekly basis and divide the weekly caloric intake into 7 days. At the end of the day if you are eating less food than you need to maintain your current weight you will lose weight.

I estimate my activity levels for the week and this tells me based on my height, weight, age etc how much I can eat in a week and divides it into 7 days telling me how many calories I can consume daily. At the moment I am trying to build muscle without putting on weight so I am eating near maintenance so I simply try and eat that many calories each day. If I have more one day, I try and have a little less the next. Technically speaking if I eat exactly this many calories every day and I do a big workout on say Monday, then that day I have lost a little bit of weight (un-noticeable) and if on Tuesday I sit around in front of the television all day then that day I have put on a little weight (again un-noticeable) but on average I remain the same weight...

Your biggest concern really is making sure you have enough macro and micro nutrients. I use this site mainly to track my protein intake which up until I started counting I didn't nearly get enough off.
  • kmillers
    kmillers Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I also have been using it as a weekly "bank" of calories, however, I just wanted to make sure. I kinda panic when the number turns red even if it was green by 300 the day before. :0):glasses:
  • togmo
    togmo Posts: 257
    Options
    I embrace red!

I am on maintenance and actually try and eat around 2500-3000kcals a day but I have customized my pal and set it to 2300. I aim to see red below every line - except perhaps sodium although this too is often red...