Milk GROSS

Options

Replies

• mikeruz
    mikeruz Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    My kids drink Lactose Free Milk Lactaid and I enjoy Unsweetened Almond Milk. The Almond milk definately has an interesting taste the first time but I have come to enjoy it with my raisin brand!
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    This stuff is awesome...

chocolate.jpg

150 Calories/8 oz
    4.5g fat
    3g saturated
    13g carbs
    1g fiber
    11g sugar
    12g protein
  • leaner426
    Options
    Silk Light Chocolate Soy Milk or Almond milk. Both are good substitutes and taste good. They do not taste like milk so be prepared to give your taste buds a chance to adjust.
  • uponaworld
    uponaworld Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I drink Silk all the time! I prefer the Plain version rather than the vanilla or chocolate. Those two are much too sweet, and the plain version goes with everything! I also buy some chai concentrate by Tazo and drink that with silk in the morning and it's a wonderful start to the day!
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    My son likes the vanilla and chocolate soy milk. He can drink regular milk but he likes these better. I do not like unsweetened almond milk I know people say it takes on the flavor of what you put it with I tried it in smoothies and it made me gag.

They just found out my niece is intolerant to milk and they give her goats milk I have never tried it I can't say what it tastes like but she can't drink soy milk or almond milk either she is intolerant to almost all except the goats milk might be worth at try.
  • hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Time to jump on the bandwagon here... almond milk!
    I personally prefer unsweetened almond milk (with cereal/smoothies), but if I'm drinking it alone sometimes I'll indulge in the chocolate almond milk ;) I use the silk variety (although I'm sure other brands are just as good), and the unsweetened is only 30 calories a cup, while the chocolate is only 120. For this, even the chocolate almond milk is 10 calories less per cup than the 2% I used to consume. However, be careful when people suggest vanilla almond milk! My dad picked up vanilla unsweetened almond milk before... I love unsweetened, and I love vanilla, but something about them both together... I did not like it at all. But then again, he purchased the packages that didn't need refrigeration until after opening it, so that could have changed the taste slightly. Make sure you purchase it cold! I'm sure soy milk and all that other stuff is just as good, but I personally favor the almond milk due to the nutritional values and the taste. :) I say just have fun experimenting with different milks until you find one you love! No harm in that ^-^
  • MarieRich
    MarieRich Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You can always use it to cleanse yourself if you feel the need to down that route.

I have been trying to figure out if it is in fact lactose intolerance or something else. Milk has become a cleanse for me....3 pounds down! :)
  • fitmomhappymom
    fitmomhappymom Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    The concept of milk grosses me out. Drinking an animals milk is just weird to me. I do eat meat, but there is just something about drinking milk that creeps me out.
    I drink and cook with Silk.
  • MarieRich
    MarieRich Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I think almond milk sounds delicious!
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    I drink 100% Lactose Free Milk... still tastes like good ol' milk... without making me sick :)
  • jayouzts
    jayouzts Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I like the almond milk and unsweetened soy. I'm not even lactose intolerant; I started buying non-dairy milks because they keep longer than diary.

Try a few different ones and see which ones you like best. You may find you like some brands more than others depending on the cereal you choose.
  • mrsfoster102613
    mrsfoster102613 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    If you are not concerned about being vegan, you can try goat’s milk for savory dishes (though I don’t suggest it for cereal because it does have a slight tang to it).

I realize you are mostly concerned with milk for your cereal, though. I have used coconut milk, almond milk and soy milk in the past but do not use soy milk any longer (I have read it produces a great deal of mucus, so thanks but no thanks). I sometimes buy organic coconut milk, but I mostly use homemade almond milk. It’s super easy to make, cheaper than buying it from the store and will not have any nasty, added chemicals or preservatives.

All you need is one cup of almonds, five cups of water (or more or less; keep in mind the more you use the less creamy the milk will be), a half of a teaspoon of lemon juice and a pinch of salt. Blend and strain through a nut milk bag (cheese cloth can also work and so can panty hose if you don’t have the other two options). Store in a tightly-sealed container (like a mason jar). Keeps for about a week.

You can also add various items for sweetness if you’d like: cinnamon, vanilla, honey, maple syrup, agave, dates, stevia etc. Totally your call. Since you are using it for cereal, you might really like adding a hint of sweetness to it.

Best of luck!

~Andrea
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I have only tried soy and almond milk (other than cow's milk). I like them both, but mostly drink soy. Partly because it has more protein and I tend to short on protein, but mostly because I started drinking it many years ago when it was the only milk alternative available in my area and it's just habit now.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Good Karma Unsweetened Flaxmilk
    For shakes Tempt Chocolate Hemp Milk
    Cheese - and Cream Cheese - Diaya
    Yogurt and Ice cream - So Delicious Brand
  • tattedlady75
    tattedlady75 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I am not lactose intolerant, but I only use Silk Light Soy milk on my cereal either the plain or vanilla. My son loves the Silk Very Vanilla Soy milk.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I love unsweetened almond milk, especially the vanilla flavor. Trader Joe's brand is my favorite, but Almond Breeze is great too.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I think almond milk sounds delicious!

There's also chocolate almond milk too, my daughter's drinking that at supper time right now :) When her pediatrician told us we needed to do an elimination diet and to start with dairy I was nervous, but I've found out that it's not really that hard-there's lots of dairy free options that are similar in cost. Next up is gluten, now that's the one I'm really dreading!
  • kakemono
    kakemono Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I like Unsweetened Almond Milk or Full-Fat Coconut Milk.

Some people with lactose intolerance can handle some milk. You may look at getting raw milk from specific cows not containing A1 casein, but only A2 casein... or goat milk.
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Almond Milk is AWESOME. I don't drink regular milk PERIOD. Haven't since I was 13 or 14... got scared of it with all of the hormones and BS they put in it, so I've been on alternatives for a long time. Can't even stand how milk tastes. Almond Milk however? Is amazing!!
  • hotjodels
    hotjodels Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Lactaid milk is a must in my house. also almond milk is awesome on cereal.