i understand 2-3pounds...but 11lbs?!?!?!?!

Options
2»

Replies

• GiGi76
    GiGi76 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    i agree with edorice... a pound is a pound but the scale doesnt always tell the truth as far as progress goes... are your clothes fitting better??? Maybe you should start taking your measurements and only weigh yourself once a week or every other week!!! make sure you are weighing yourself in the same spot too... i notice that when i move the scale just a little it can be off by as much a 3lbs!!! But like edorice said this is probably a sodium issue... it really makes you retain alot of water and makes the scale go crazy :noway: !!! In a couple of days i bet it is normal again!!! :flowerforyou:
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    your muscles are most likely retaining water from the workouts, and you are probably gaining muscle everyone is different but i always gain weight first also. you will gain first then you will lean out just wait it out you will see. also are you eating enough if not your body may be thinking it is fasting???? stay away from the scale for awhile lol and see how your clothes are fitting maybe you are losing inches first.

Your body maybe retaining water. Muscle mass gain of 11 lbs is hardly possible. It takes pro body builders months to gain that. Also where is your sodium intake at? High sodium and high water intake=Retained water weight. Yes keeping cals in check help but if your diet consists of tons of salt then you will still retain water.
  • fat_forever
    Options
    As others have stated, it is impossible for anyone to gain 11 pounds in one week. The only way that is possible is if it's water weight., not actual body weight. Heck, On several occasions, I've lost 10 pounds in less than an hour. Both times I lost it doing a high energy aerobics class. I got on a doctor's type of scale minutes before the class, took the class, then weighed myself on the same scale as I was leaving the class and I had dropped 10 pounds. It was all water weight.

What that tells me is that when you weighed yourself at first, then weighed yourself a week later, you didn't gain 11 pounds, you most likely were dehydrated the first time you weighed yourself, then, when you weighed yourself a week later, you were hydrated. The water was the reason your weight varied so much. This is why I tell people that they shouldn't weigh themselves. Weight is just a number and can fluctuate for no apparent reason. Instead, just go by how you look and feel. Who cares what they weigh if they look and feel good? Weight is just a number and means nothing.
  • luvz2bfitMOM
    Options
    LOL, no not pregnant. i've for the last 5months have teater-totered between 166-169. then recently went down to 165 then 162. i weighed myself 5 days later and it said 169. then i weighed myself 2 days after that (which is my weigh in day) and it said a whopping 173! yea i havent been that high in FOREVER! my food intake was within cals allowed (1200 plus whatever exercise) so even if i ate within my cals allowed after i worked out, it wasnt like it was 2000 or more1 and even if it was i wouldnt gain that much!

stepped on the scale today and is 171. not at all the weight i should be and i have no clue wehat it is. my husband has gotton on same weight, same place, same routine and its not off. this is the first week i started MYSITNESSPAL and i'm extremly discouraged! ive been battling my weight for months at the same number as i work out 4-6x a week. just isnt fair and i dont know what to do. thanks for all your comments
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    You didn't mention your sodium intake....it really can have a huge impact, and sodium is hiding inside of sooo many foods, in shocking amounts. Many reduced calorie foods especially have horrid levels of sodium.

I'd be willing to bet that was the culprit here. You can't put on that much fat or muscle in such a short amount of time...

are you on your period?
  • luvz2bfitMOM
    Options
    dont know on my sodium intake bc this sight doesnt show me that, if it does, where?

no not on period or even close to it, and even when i was about to start i would only gain like 3.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    dont know on my sodium intake bc this sight doesnt show me that, if it does, where?

no not on period or even close to it, and even when i was about to start i would only gain like 3.

Easy, honey... Just click the magic orange button on your Food Diary. :happy:
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    Oh, one other thing.... make sure your scale had good batteries! :laugh:
  • KarenBorter
    KarenBorter Posts: 1,157 Member
    Options
    are you keeping a food diary? If so, the sodium is one of your columns. If not then go to Food/Settings and check "nutrients tracked" and add Sodium to one of the drop down menus :) Maybe open up your food diary to other users/your friends so they can take a gander at what you have been eating for the last week?
  • luvz2bfitMOM
    Options
    yay!!!! GREAT NEWS EVERYONE! LOL......found the loop hole. from day one i have been weighing on my bathroom rugs.....so recently i was washing them and weighed without rugs and thats where the 11 lbs came from! went back and forth today....with rug i weigh 9 lbs less! lol.....wow, i'm such a dork and it didnt hit me that i was on the rugs the WHOLE time. so i actually started 10 lbs heavier from day one....which means i have 10 more to loose than i thought (45 pounds just went to 55lbs that i need to loose).....i'm ok with that and super excited i found what was wrong! thanks so much for all your suggestions!