Eating Out

Options
Hi,

I am supposed to going out with friends tonight for a Thai meal, and I am unsure as what to choose which would be a lower calorie option (aside from not having the curry). We have a voucher for a starter and a main (with rice dish) each and I was hoping someone may be able to offer any advice please.

Replies

• charliemouse70
    charliemouse70 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    How often do you eat out?
    If this is a rare treat, I'd forget about calorie counting and enjoy it! Have a low cal breakfast and lunch, enjoy what you eat on the meal out and then get back to counting tomorrow morning. Oh, and if you do workout/gym/classes this week don't add those calories onto your daily total.
    You'll probably still lose weight - it's worked for me so far.
  • fattybruce
    Options
    Thank you for the advice :smile:

Ironically, I dont eat out that often but I am out again for a meal on Sunday! I am trying to include more exercise to increase my calorie allowance, but was just wondering which foods would be the better option to choose
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    I have a thin friend who never eats rice. I usually only eat half the rice I am given; I like the texture. Any kind of meat on a stick has to be lower in calories than the curry (which is delicious btw).
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I would honestly get the foods you like there and not worry about it if it is not something you do often.

In terms of logging, log everything else you ate that day but I would not personally bother logging the dinner as there is no real way of knowing most of the time how much your really eating calories wise. Just make a note on the diary in the notes section that you went out to eat that day.

Obviously working out a little more or giving yourself wiggle room everyday in your deficit can help offset those days you do go out to dinner. So that the net calories for the week evens out.
  • chrs86
    chrs86 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm not an expert but I would suggest eating a light lunch to bring down your normal calorie consumption for the day. When dinner rolls around order what you love and enjoy it. I try to only eat out 1-2 times per month now and that is what I usually do. Good luck and enjoy dinner.
  • jlahorn
    jlahorn Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Chicken satay, chicken larb, tom yum soup, and summer rolls are some of my favorite thai dishes and are relatively healthy.

Avoid anything made with coconut milk if you're trying to keep the calories down.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I kind of agree with the sentiment to have a "cheat" meal if you don't indulge much. But if you do want to really want to stay light, there are a few rules that pretty much apply to any restaurant food:

1) start your meal with a salad or brothy soup (tom yum is excellent)
    2) stay away from anything fried aka crispy, go with steamed or grilled instead.
    3) keep portions of noodles and rice low - calories add up quickly
    4) avoid sauces based in peanut, coconut. While delicious, they are high in fat and calories (ex: pad thai, kow soi)

My personal favorites are the chicken satay (NO peanut sauce dip), steamed dumplings and "the odd couple". At my local restaurant this dish is a mix of grilled/country style chicken and beef with steamed veggies and rice on the side. I usually avoid the rice altogether by giving it to my Hubby. :)

Have fun!
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    ** Fresh/summer rolls as an appetizer (easy on the peanut sauce for dipping). YUM.

Tom Yum w/ shrimp soup
    Satay skewers
  • Monty_P
    Monty_P Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I would eat anything you want but just have smaller portions.

Thai people tend to have a lot of dishes that they just plonk in the middle and share. And there are very few larger people in Thailand.

Edit: I have just realised this is irrelevant considering you have vouchers!

I would second Tom Yum and then a steamed bass sort of dish as everything else is fried with lots of sugar and MSG.

Thai's love their sugar.
  • Chase510
    Options
    I agree that the chicken satay would be a good option.

We had Thai last week and I got the garlic & white pepper chicken with 1/2 the rice.
  • walterm852
    walterm852 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Enjoy tonight, enjoy your friends and conversation and get ready for a new food chapter for you. You may not get what you usually like, but you may find something that you enjoy, can copy at home, and can help you continue your intended path.

A nutritionist told me "when in doubt, stick to proteins and veggies".

My 1 tip- become friends with an apple, carrots and celery. A pitfall of mine in the based is to be too low on cals going in, and thus, I over ate. If I find I am low, or just feeling hunger as I am going out, an apple really takes the edge off and keeps me off the bread or whatever prior to the main meal

HAVE FUN ....