Dog walking

Options
123457»

Replies

• dawnee68
    dawnee68 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    We have a little Staffy, mostly walk after dark as it's just too hot in the day. I log all of my walks.
  • MandaLeigh123
    MandaLeigh123 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    My 15lb adopted, one-eyed Peke is not a good walking partner. It can take us 30 minutes to go a block. He prefers sniffing to walking. He gets his exercise playing fetch. I don't log the walks bc I am basically just standing there. Maybe I should start holding yoga poses or something.

Regarding taking pets in the cold:
    You absolutely must be careful when taking pets out in freezing conditions. Even big, long haired dogs can get cracked and bleeding paws and noses in frigid temperatures. If it's hurting you to breathe, it's hurting their lungs to breath as well. Also depending on your location, salted roads can be a danger. The chemical salt gets between your dogs pads and can cause burning. There are wax products to protect your pups feet, as well as booties for long treks in the cold.
    Take a few seconds to google "taking care of a dog in cold conditions" and you'll see plenty of veterinary advice to back this up.
    We use a wax called Mushers and also
    use lil rubber booties. Anyway, all depends on your dogs breed, weight, age, etc. but I've read if it's 20F/-7C 30 minutes max outside is good for bigger dogs, 15-20mins for smaller dogs.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Who here has dogs? Do you log your "dog walking" calories burnt? I love the fact that I can do something I really enjoy (apart from lately, when it's rained and rained and rained), and it's good for me too.

1530492_10151779040210213_1911677213_n.jpg

Yes. Twice a day walks (or if I pedal on the bike and they walk along) gets counted as recovery movement and the calories burned. Usually, they are two 20 minute walks - one in the morning and one in the evening.

8499738184_bdab0259b1_n.jpg
  • epemae
    epemae Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I definitely count my dog walks as exercise! They love it, I love spending time with them and one day I'll be able to go as fast as they would like me to. It's really great to have exercise buddies who are always ready to go!