Replies

• JewelsinBigD
    JewelsinBigD Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Dymatize is the best!
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    Shakelogy by beachbody is what I use it has lots of good ingredients in it. If you would like more info contact me at chrr2326@gmail.com

This is against the Community Guidelines.
  • MissMintyMoo
    MissMintyMoo Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Great thread, my 9 year old is vegetarian, our school has banned many things from lunch, I worry about her protein intake.

I had no idea jelly is protein!
  • Levesque_7
    Options
    Shakelogy by beachbody is what I use it has lots of good ingredients in it. If you would like more info contact me at chrr2326@gmail.com

ya think this is a beachbody rep? hahaha sorry but no ads or hocking stuff on the forums
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    It's also animal based.

On that for the OP; yes, a nice chunky meat sandwich.
    Can be low in fat if needed.

As for all kids not being allowed to bring in stuff that one kid is allergic to - wow... as ever the Simpsons provides a scarily realistic window into American life for us pommies!
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    Options
    I think you're likely referring to the new trend of adding taurine and glycine, which by regulations can be counted as a protein source, but are not utilized by the body in the same fashion.

A number of companies are doing this, as the cost of raw whey has increased a great deal in recent times.

Look for the two ingredients I mentioned following the main protein sources in the product on the nutritional label. Law requires them to be listed, so if you pay attention you can avoid them easily.

Giant Sports is a major offender, as is MuscleTech and Gaspari. That's just a start.

I just bought a MuscleTech powder to try. And sorry if I sound dense, but taurine & glycine are... bad?

They are not inherently bad, it's just that your body doesn't utlize these two ingredients the same way it would actual protein.

For example, MuscleTech Phase 8 contains taurine and glycine filler, so while your diary is recording you getting 23 grams of protein per scoop (or whatever it happens to say it contains), you are more than likely getting around 18 grams per scoop. That's a fairly significant difference, however, will it impact your body composition over time? Likely not.

The point is that they are being dishonest and if that rubs you the wrong way, you shouldn't buy their products.

Thanks for explaining. :flowerforyou: I am going to look into this a bit more.
  • VastBreak
    VastBreak Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the excellent suggestions!

Taurine is what I had heard of previously and could not remember!! I read about it back over the summer but we weren't using protein powder at that time so I didn't pay great attention!

I guess this is only an issue for kindergarten in our school. For all the other grades they separate them in the cafeteria if allergies are present. In kindergarten they often eat in the classroom and don't really trust the kids to not touch and interact. Then you have dropped food on the floor and plenty of others options of ways the allergic kids can come in contact with the problem foods.
  • togmo
    togmo Posts: 257
    Options
    It's also animal based.

I was thinking the same thing - isn't jelly full of gelatine which is an animal product?
    That is also true for most jelly candies like gummi bears, they too generally contain gelatine.