Lowering cholesterol through diet?

Options
2»

Replies

• just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    Especially for women. In fact, medicating women for high cholesterol has been shown to be very dangerous. Some doctors (especially GPs and docs who want to sell you meds) don't know or don't recognize this.

PREGNANT women will never ever be prescribed drugs and their cholesterol will be high because they need it for the developing baby.

Doctors are always quick to prescribe something regardless of whether or not you're male or female.

OP: I would advise against statin drugs. They do more harm than good, and I don't just mean the side effects. Have you had your hormone levels checked? Hormones play a big role in your cholesterol and the levels that it's at.
  • imju5tme
    imju5tme Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    In October of last year, 2013, I was informed by my doctor that my numbers were critically high (cholesterol was 339 and triglycerides were at 273, with the other numbers similarly bad). I was given the option of going on medication immediately, or taking 3 months to try to make SOME sort of positive change in my health after which, she'd decide. I chose to try to change my lifestyle since I DO NOT want to be put on medication.

The day after that appointment, my best friend showed me MFP. I decided to pull up my big-girl pants and get myself and my health under control. I started exercising (walking and elliptical) and watching what I eat (both quality AND quantity). I didn't cut out foods, I improved and portioned them. I didn't jump on any 'diet' plan... I understood from the moment I left my doctor's office that I have to keep this lifestyle for as long as I live. That meant moderation, NOT restriction.

By lurking in the forums here, I've seen what people have to say about various paths that have worked for them, and I've used my brain to filter through what will or will not work for ME.

I had another appointment with my doctor on January 6, earlier this month. From making simple changes (get up and MOVE, damnit!!! and food? LOG LOG LOG!!!), my cholesterol had dropped 74 points (it's still high, but I'm a work in progress). My triglycerides dropped 152 points to a normal range 121 (shocked the tar out of me!). My LDL's dropped by 30 points. My HDL's increased by 9 points. Best of all, NO MEDICATION FOR ME!!! :drinker:

That said, yes, just making small changes has VASTLY improved my health. I feel better. I have more energy. I've LOVING the side effect of having lost over 30 lbs in this process. Making those small changes can DEFINITELY improve one's cholesterol levels (and without medication - but listen to your doctor). I still eat red meat. I still have dairy. I still have wine. I just do so... smarter.

editted because I can't spell... :grumble:
    wow... I REALLY can't spell.:angry:
  • centexhusker
    centexhusker Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I was on a statin drug for about 4 years because I was borderline high and because my brother had a heart attack when he was 32. I was doing fine until I started having side effects (terrible skin rash). My new Dr took me off the Zocor and wanted me to take Zetia but I convinced him to let me try to lower it naturally. I'm having my levels checked in about a month for the first time since getting of the meds. One of my peeps on MFP who had great success lowering his levels suggested the following foods:

Oatmeal, lots of natural fiber, lots of veggies and fruits, beans (pinto,navy,kidney, black), limited red meats, nuts (almonds,walnuts), avocado, salmon, chicken, very little processed foods, whole wheat products, flaxseed

Also fish oil and 30-40 minutes of excercise 5 days a week.

I try to limit my saturated fats especially and avoid anything with trans fats

I try to replace my bad fats with more monu-poly fats

I hope my levels will be ok. Best of luck to everyone :)
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    I dropped mine 60 points by cutting out most meat (all cow). I have no desire to live life with out cheese. I ate mainly processed fake meat products such as Quorn and Morning Star Farms, but had to cut those out of my diet due to an auto immune disease, they seem to cause inflammation and give me a great deal of pain.

Sugar is a big contributor to cholesterol as well.

Exercise and fish oil are also a big help.

Good luck!
  • joe_d
    joe_d Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Quoted from above: "OP: I would advise against statin drugs. They do more harm than good, and I don't just mean the side effects."

Statins do more harm than good? I understand that some people may have side effects, but what's the rationale for this unconditional statement that statins are bad? And please, don't come back with anything that isn't based on multiple scientific studies in peer reviewed journals.

In fact, my doc tells me that there's growing evidence that statins do more than just lower cholesterol--they tend to harden unstable plaques in your coronary arteries (unstable plaque rupture is actually one of the leading causes of heart attacks--especially the ones that tend to be fatal). And secondly, they may also reduce arterial inflammation. Inflammation plays a large role in the development of arterial plaques, and I honestly believe this is an area that isn't well understood by Medicine today. But as more research is done on inflammation and how to control it, we might see a real improvement in reducing heart disease.

So frankly, if my statin is providing the above two protections to my coronary arteries, I'm perfectly OK with staying on it for life. My coronary arteries already tried to kill me once, I'd rather not give them a second chance.

So folks need to stop demonizing statins without talking to their own health care providers and getting the real scoop on the pros and cons of a medical therapy.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options
    Regardless of what studies show re the relationship between cholesterol levels and risk of heart disease, I have no desire to argue with my doctor about being put on statins at every visit. My cholesterol levels have never been low, but my blood results tend to correlate with how much saturated fat I consume. My doctor has suggested a lower fat diet (20%) with saturated fat <8% of total calories. At these fat levels, my cholesterol at least drops into the normal range and he quits with the statin talk. I don't know if that's how things are supposed to work or whether that's just what happens to me, or if it's pure coincidence and my cholesterol levels are actually controlled by the phases of the moon. Idk, but I don't want to take pills I don't need. So if I can control the # through diet and not have to listen to him yammer about pills, I'm all about that.
    That's the thing, cholesterol, the actual sterol itself as nothing to do with heart disease, it's basically the size and number of total particles called lipoprotein (capsules that carry cholesterol) and a persons lifestyle and genetics that dictates how the body then decides which type is produced. Small dense LDL lipoproteins are universally considered atherogenic while the larger phenotype less so and many in the field put a protective status on larger ones.

No doubt. I just would prefer to not argue with him about being put on medication. And I am able to get my numbers into normal ranges through low-fat diet and exercise. And that's enough to keep him from pushing the pills.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Regardless of what studies show re the relationship between cholesterol levels and risk of heart disease, I have no desire to argue with my doctor about being put on statins at every visit. My cholesterol levels have never been low, but my blood results tend to correlate with how much saturated fat I consume. My doctor has suggested a lower fat diet (20%) with saturated fat <8% of total calories. At these fat levels, my cholesterol at least drops into the normal range and he quits with the statin talk. I don't know if that's how things are supposed to work or whether that's just what happens to me, or if it's pure coincidence and my cholesterol levels are actually controlled by the phases of the moon. Idk, but I don't want to take pills I don't need. So if I can control the # through diet and not have to listen to him yammer about pills, I'm all about that.
    That's the thing, cholesterol, the actual sterol itself as nothing to do with heart disease, it's basically the size and number of total particles called lipoprotein (capsules that carry cholesterol) and a persons lifestyle and genetics that dictates how the body then decides which type is produced. Small dense LDL lipoproteins are universally considered atherogenic while the larger phenotype less so and many in the field put a protective status on larger ones.

No doubt. I just would prefer to not argue with him about being put on medication. And I am able to get my numbers into normal ranges through low-fat diet and exercise. And that's enough to keep him from pushing the pills.
    I understand totally. Personally I reduced my carbs to around 200 a day and upped my fats which help launch my HDL to just over 100 and I reduced my trigs to under 50, currrently at 38. LDL was reduced slightly but my LDL particle numbers are low ........ Of course I also attribute this with a complete change in my physical activity and weight loss over thew last 5 years as well. My Dr can't believe what has happened over this time because it's a 180 in his mind, seriously, he's stumped.
  • eccentriq
    eccentriq Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    While there are slight lifestyle differences and physiological composittion, my doctors says my cholestoral levels are the best he's seen meanwhile my BF's, well lets say he could do better, a lot better.

How do I do it?

* I actually cut out all red meat of my diet (it wasnt hard or intentional) it sort of just happened and its been great ever since (I don't look back)
    * Omega 3 Fish Oil, this one specifically. No fishy smell or taste (gulp down 2 religiously/day) http://www.amazon.com/Coromega-Omega-3-Supplement-Squeeze-90-Count/dp/B000FFQATA
    * Cut back on the sodium
  • jessicameadsstephens
    Options
    My Dr told me to try diet and exercise and I have but my results didnt show much difference 4 months later. Now they are having me take Fish Oil everyday and see if that will help. Its a cheap way I buy the Burpless ones at Target and take with my dinner and havent had any issue with them.
  • sullus
    sullus Posts: 2,839 Member
    Options
    I can't speak to whether you need cholesterol meds, (for example - my mom is 5'1, maybe 110 lbs on a bad day, is a complete fanatic about low fat everything .. and has been cholesterol meds for as long as I can remember.)

Exercise is going to have a much larger impact on your cholesterol than diet will. I got my cholesterol from 300 to 160, eating bacon, eggs, and butter (sometimes all at the same time) all the while ...
  • krathbun01
    krathbun01 Posts: 6
    Options
    I just got my lab results and my Triglycerides are the only normal one. I have lost over 100lbs and eat mainly fruits and veggies.
    I am having them rechecked because they drew blood late afternoon after drinking and eating all day so I don't believe these are correct. (I had not ate in 4 hours) prior to lab draw but still not a true fasting. I thought oh mine will be great with loosing weight and eating healthy. Just not always true.