What size weights?

misspenny762
misspenny762 Posts: 279 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm pretty new to the whole strength training deal but I really want to start lifting weights to tone my arms. What size should I start with? I can do 10 reps with a 10 lb dumbbell fairly easily and I'm thinking about starting with that for bicep curls but I've heard it's better to use smaller weights for other exercises such as lateral raises etc. and a local store is offering a pretty good deal on a set that includes 2 lbs, 5 lbs, 8 lbs but I'm wondering if that's worth it or if I only really need a 5 lb and a 10 lb... Or should I push myself and get a larger weight than 10 lb? I'm pretty lost as I've never really lifted weights seriously before. Which weights should I buy to start?

Replies

• I think the 2 5 and 8 pound weights are a good deal. It really depends on your personal strength though. If you can do 10 reps with a 10 lb dumbbell then you should stick to that general are. Some exercises are harder and others are easier. For me doing a chest press with a 10 pound weight is cake but doing lateral raises with a 10 lb weight would almost destroy me. so I would suggest maybe and 8-15 pound range.
  • NH_1970
    NH_1970 Posts: 544 Member
    Try more exercises with the 10lbs would be my suggestion, before upping- like triceps curls/ extensions/kick backs, lateral raises etc. My friend Rick said that if I can do 15 reps - 3 times (with a little bit of a pause between continuing with the next set like this lift weight 15 times pause lift weight 15 times pause lift 15 end. - move onto next exercise do the same thing.) without difficulty it meant it was time to up it. He also meant if I wasn't suffering from any pain or soreness the day after as well. (signs to take it gentler on the self.) and good job with the bicep curls :) He also said if I ever had pain in my joints than I was doing something wrong, and to get the right form on lifting before trying any more.

oh and I started with 5lb weights and still use those except the bicep curls which I upped to 10 lbs recently because I can do that weight with a little bit of difficulty but not so much that I'm in agony or anything similar.
  • I'd take a look at some routines and the equipment required for them. http://www.stronglifts.com/ was the routine we decided on and purchased an olympic barbell and basic power rack, just bought weights as we needed them.

We liked the idea of starting from the bar and building up 5lbs every workout until we plateaued. Really eliminates the need to know where to start.
This discussion has been closed.