Build Muscle and lose fat

Options
2»

Replies

• RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Weight training WILL help you build muscle, which will in turn increase your LBM and increase your metabolism and help you burn fat. If you are trying to burn fat you will need to increase your cardio - more days a week. You don't have to do it as intensely as you are on your non-weight days, but try to get in 30 minutes of moderate cardio (working at about 70-80% of your MHR) - AND most important - you can NOT exercise away a bad diet! Eat fresh foods, lots of protein and cut out refined and processed foods. You will see results doing this, and maybe quickly depending on your body!
    Weight training will help you MAINTAIN muscle while in a deficit.....
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    It always makes me laugh when people say you can't lose weight and gain muscle. I have lost almost 85 pounds in 300 days and gained about 30 pounds in muscle weight. It's a balance for sure and I rarely have huge loss weeks but I am taking it off steady and seeing results in my waist and my upper body is showing the growth in muscle. I make sure I eat healthy protein and limit my carbs and I am able to lift heavier every week. Make sure you take measurements because the fat comes off but the muscle may offset the scale. I have dropped 4 pant sizes and 2 shirt sizes. I work out 5-6 times a week and do my cardio after I lift on lift days. I also swim 3-4 times a week for added burns. Good luck!

how did you measure this, because it equates to about .7lbs of muscle gain per week. Even if you were morbidly obese it would be nearly impossible to gain that kind of mass, especially on a deficit. Heck, that be difficult on a surplus.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Weight training WILL help you build muscle, which will in turn increase your LBM and increase your metabolism and help you burn fat. If you are trying to burn fat you will need to increase your cardio - more days a week. You don't have to do it as intensely as you are on your non-weight days, but try to get in 30 minutes of moderate cardio (working at about 70-80% of your MHR) - AND most important - you can NOT exercise away a bad diet! Eat fresh foods, lots of protein and cut out refined and processed foods. You will see results doing this, and maybe quickly depending on your body!

You don't have to cut out refined or processed foods to lose weight. It's all based on calories. But I agree you can't out train a bad diet, but its more about total caloric intake than the type calories, although for muscle retention, it's all about protein. But pending you hit your protein goals and weight train, it doesn't matter if you get your protein from a cow or from mcdonalds.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/903628-one-year-of-barbells-and-ice-cream-my-story-so-far-pics?hl=a+year+of+lifting+and+ice+cream