I don't want to exercise.......ever!!

Options
Yes, I know exercise has many benefits including improvement of emotional health, stamina, better sleep at night, more energy, and the list goes on and on, however I DO NOT WANT TO EXERCISE....EVER! How can I change my mindset? any help with this? I see some people posting on here that they love to run and I feel like even talking a walk would be forcing myself. i need to exercise. Those benefits I listed I could use all of them. Please, how can I learn to love exercise?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    What kind of things do you think of when you think "exercise?" Personally, i hate all the DVD crap...I loath cardio machines, etc. I love lifting weights and other than that my exercise is largely recreational. I get out and ride my bike for 45 minutes to an hour a few times per week...I go for nice walks...I hike in the mountains...I play pick up basketball with my buddies...I hit the pool for a nice swim, I golf (walking the course), etc. All of these things are "exercise"...but I really don't think of them in that way...it's just me being active and enjoying myself.

There are any number of things you can do...I think people just get locked into this idea that you have to drone away for hours on end on an elliptical or treadmill or jump around like some *kitten* to a DVD. Reality is that you just need to get out there and move for 30 - 60 minutes 3-5 times per week for your overall health and well being. Obviously if you have greater fitness aspirations you'll have to do more...but general health and well being only requires around 150 minutes of moving around weekly.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Find exercises that you actually like doing. Do you prefer aerobics? Long walks on the beach? Belly dance? Zumba? Weight lifting? Swimming? Soccer? Surely there is some activity you enjoy doing?

If I had my druthers I wouldn't exercise at all. In fact, I'm back for a second round of loss because I stopped exercising and tracking this past year. Set a small goal. 15 or 20 minutes. Get into your workout clothes and go do something. It's a fair bet that once you start you'll go a little longer than you planned. Keep at it until it becomes a habit.
  • LRoslin
    LRoslin Posts: 128
    Options
    I used to hate to exercise. Even as a kid in gym class. I think part of it was not wanting others to see me run and sweat and look ridiculous. I hate looking foolish. Even going for walks around the neighborhood are cause for anxiety; I hate dogs and a lot of our neighbors have dogs. I've also used the excuse that my foot hurts--I have a gorilloid navicular bone, which causes my tendons to ache if I do high impact or too much at once. But I needed to exercise, I mean really needed to for my fitness level, if not for weight loss.

One way I started getting into the habit was walking TO somewhere. I never liked just walking to walk. So I would walk to the mailbox to mail a letter, rather than leave it in our box. Or walk down to the drugstore, which is a mile away (we live in a walk-friendly area, luckily) to get a prescription. For some people, having a purpose to the walk makes all the difference. You can think of it as conserving gas rather than exercising! Or park farther away than you normally would when you go shopping. Then you may start liking how you feel when you get more walking in your day, and look for other ways to incorporate movement into your days.

Make sure you've got really good shoes, and orthotics if you need them.

For the winter, I got Leslie Sansone's walk away the pounds DVDs. They're low impact, which I need due to my foot issues, and I really like them (not everyone does). I've worked my way up to doing the 4 mile workout, which felt fantastic! I look at exercise as being like my emotional vitamins. I need them regularly.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Find an activity you love to do.

Simple.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Find something you can *tolerate* doing. I won't say find something you *like*, because I used to hate exercise too. I didn't hate doing fun things I wanted to do, when I wanted to do it, but attach the word exercise and it becomes this obligation or burden.

After doing something you can tolerate for awhile, you will enjoy the benefits and eventually want to do it. I remember the morning I woke up and in the first minute of waking up I was excited about getting up to do my workout. I never thought that would ever happen to me. After you find yourself liking it, try a bunch of different things, you might find other things that you like better than what was just tolerable before.

Walking is a great place to start if you never did any other exercise. Try Leslie Sansone walk at home videos.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Yes, I know exercise has many benefits including improvement of emotional health, stamina, better sleep at night, more energy, and the list goes on and on, however I DO NOT WANT TO EXERCISE....EVER! How can I change my mindset? any help with this? I see some people posting on here that they love to run and I feel like even talking a walk would be forcing myself. i need to exercise. Those benefits I listed I could use all of them. Please, how can I learn to love exercise?
    Most people hate physical activity that's too hard for them to do or activity they suck at. Key is finding one that you can do. Once you do, it's much easier to start enjoying it.

My DW takes ballroom dancing lessons and is now competing in amateur contests. The dancing is the majority of her exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    1. Why don't you like to exercise?

2. What exercises have you tried?

3. How long have you stuck to an exercise regime?

4. What do you like to do in your free time?

When I'm out of shape, I hate exercising. When I have stuck to a regime for a while and I'm feeling good, I love it. A lot of hating exercise has to do with being out of shape and getting frustrated with performance or soreness. The reason why people who run often say they love it is because they've probably passed the initial hurdles so they feel better when they are exercising.

Also, if you hate a certain kind of exercise and you are forcing yourself to do that exercise (I hear this with running a lot), of course you are going to hate it! There are so many ways to exercise, you just have to try new things. If you can tie it into a hobby, even better.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    then don't...instead find an "activity" you like to do that includes movement of the body...dancing, swimming, walking, biking, digging a ditch???
  • SrJoben
    SrJoben Posts: 484 Member
    Options

This post sounds suspiciously like you're saying you hate stuff you haven't actually done.

Try some varied forms of physical activity. And I don't mean once. Try them each several times. Because you're an adult aren't you? You do things that need doing even if they're not fun. So in the short term suck it up and do it. The point is to do them enough that you actually know what they're like before you decide they are not for you. Many activities just feel weird and akward the first time or two.

If you diligently and thoroughly try several things I'm sure you will find something you like. Or at least something you can tolerate for the sake of your health.

Don't be like that kid who declares he hates brocolli before ever taking a bite. Or that guy who complains about not finding love but hasn't asked anyone out in years.
  • bjg2993
    bjg2993 Posts: 107
    Options
    I am exactly the same, don't worry. Just try and walk as much as possible, take the stairs instead of a lift etc. I usually do an hour or so per day on average, and I'm still losing weight and toning, just perhaps not as quickly as those who exercise religiously.

I think people are very quick to judge people who genuinely don't enjoy exercising, especially when they are dieting.

I've tried running, team sports (hockey, rounders, pair badminton etc.), the gym, swimming, trampolining... Enough in my time to know I don't enjoy it, especially not the agony strenuous fitness activities put me in. I don't like it enough to keep it up much longer than a couple of sessions and I don't really have the spare time to commit to something.

Maybe you could try something more relaxed, like yoga or pilates? I've never minded either of them personally (I used to do yoga at home a lot), and they are effective for toning and reducing stress. If I had to take up an exercise long term, it would be one of those.

P.S, I don't recommend the ditch digging as suggested by SezxyStef - as an archaeology student going on four years that stuff is not fun and very painful! haha.
  • hearthemelody
    hearthemelody Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Have you tried weight lifting?

I used to think that cardio was the only way to exercise and it makes me miserable!

Message me if you like!
  • jackpotclown
    jackpotclown Posts: 3,291 Member
    Options
    .....get the chair.....\m/
  • FabulouslyMade
    Options
    What kind of things do you think of when you think "exercise?" Personally, i hate all the DVD crap...I loath cardio machines, etc. I love lifting weights and other than that my exercise is largely recreational. I get out and ride my bike for 45 minutes to an hour a few times per week...I go for nice walks...I hike in the mountains...I play pick up basketball with my buddies...I hit the pool for a nice swim, I golf (walking the course), etc. All of these things are "exercise"...but I really don't think of them in that way...it's just me being active and enjoying myself.

There are any number of things you can do...I think people just get locked into this idea that you have to drone away for hours on end on an elliptical or treadmill or jump around like some *kitten* to a DVD. Reality is that you just need to get out there and move for 30 - 60 minutes 3-5 times per week for your overall health and well being. Obviously if you have greater fitness aspirations you'll have to do more...but general health and well being only requires around 150 minutes of moving around weekly.

When i hear exercise I'm thinking of sweating, high impact cardio.. running.... ellipticals, p90x type of things that I do not want to do! can't I just go for a simple long walk.. is that good enough for exercise?
  • FabulouslyMade
    Options
    Find exercises that you actually like doing. Do you prefer aerobics? Long walks on the beach? Belly dance? Zumba? Weight lifting? Swimming? Soccer? Surely there is some activity you enjoy doing?

If I had my druthers I wouldn't exercise at all. In fact, I'm back for a second round of loss because I stopped exercising and tracking this past year. Set a small goal. 15 or 20 minutes. Get into your workout clothes and go do something. It's a fair bet that once you start you'll go a little longer than you planned. Keep at it until it becomes a habit.

Thanks. I will do that, start with a few minutes per day doing something like walking and increase it over time. I can do that
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Just find something you like. Then you'll do it because you like it, not because you "have" to. As for running, I hate it. Not all of use are meant for Nike commercials. I run on occasion for conditioning, and lift weights because I like (actually love) doing it.
  • FabulouslyMade
    Options
    Have you tried weight lifting?

I used to think that cardio was the only way to exercise and it makes me miserable!

Message me if you like!

I have not done any weight lifting. anything I can do from home? easy things of course I don't own a bench press or any of that
  • FabulouslyMade
    Options

This post sounds suspiciously like you're saying you hate stuff you haven't actually done.

Try some varied forms of physical activity. And I don't mean once. Try them each several times. Because you're an adult aren't you? You do things that need doing even if they're not fun. So in the short term suck it up and do it. The point is to do them enough that you actually know what they're like before you decide they are not for you. Many activities just feel weird and akward the first time or two.

If you diligently and thoroughly try several things I'm sure you will find something you like. Or at least something you can tolerate for the sake of your health.

Don't be like that kid who declares he hates brocolli before ever taking a bite. Or that guy who complains about not finding love but hasn't asked anyone out in years.

Got it, sucking it up!. u are right. I'm open to trying it, just kind of want to figure out how to start. I will do it for my health. Thanks
  • FabulouslyMade
    Options
    then don't...instead find an "activity" you like to do that includes movement of the body...dancing, swimming, walking, biking, digging a ditch???

LOL @ the ditch digging but I see what you mean. Okay, I need to get out and try some new things. I do love to dance!
  • lyzmorrison
    lyzmorrison Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Don't think of it as exercise! Think of it as challenging yourself.

Challenge yourself to walk a mile...or do the elliptical hard for 15 minutes....or 20 minutes....just give yourself a challenge. Then when you have done it, you'll feel proud of yourself!

When I started at the gym, I hated every single second. But by the time I got home I felt so good that I had actually done it and not quit. Now I love the gym and continue to give myself challenges.

Eventually it becomes less about "exercise" and more about doing things you didn't think you could do. And that's what makes it fun.
  • Kriistabell
    Kriistabell Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I hate exercise too when I think of cardio and ellipticals and stuff. So I never do that. But I LOVE exercise! Because I love to play basketball, tennis, kickball, boxing, challenging myself with lifting weights, zumba! Just like everyone else said, do what you enjoy doing. If you hate the treadmill you won't stick to it - so don't bother with it. Also, walking is great, or riding your bike (fun!). You can walk more often and see results for sure, just pick up the pace a little bit and a good trick is to be aware of your core while you walk so you can keep it tight.