Orange Theory

Options
Anyone been to Orange Theory? My boyfriend and I are fighting about it right now (the cost).

I've been to a few of the classes. I was hooked after the first one last week, and felt GREAT (just the right amount of sore).

I signed up that day. They offered 1 class/week for $60/month, 2/week for $90 (that's after a $10 military discount). Unlimited is $139/month (after military discount).

Additional classes are $14 each.

I signed up for the 1/week but the owner gave me 4 free classes to use anytime in the next year. I had to pay $21.60 for a chest strap.

I'm signed up to go 3 times this week. I'd like to go 3 times/week from now on. If I sign up for the unlimited, I'd go 4-5 days a week. It's month-to-month with no contract.

Anyway. I only have about $600-800/month in "spending" money, but it's MINE. And I feel better physically after only 4 of these classes than I've ever felt before, and it fits perfectly into my schedule. Plus it's dark and cold outside so neither of us like me running after work.

He thinks it's "stupid to pay to work out when you can work out at home for free." And that it's overpriced.

The last two classes I've basically woken up and been stealthy and snuck out at 5:30am.

What do you think? Is it worth $139/month for a class that makes me feel awesome? Or should I just keep trucking it by myself...which I've been trying for YEARS by the way.

Replies

• Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I agree with your boyfriend.
    And I don't think sneaking out to do something so he doesn't find out is very good for your relationship.
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    My first question for you after reading your post is this - do you think you'll tire of the same classes over and over again? I'm not suggesting there's a right or wrong answer, I'm just asking. $139 sounds like a lot to me, but then I only pay $35/month for my gym and it has everything I need - cardio I like and fully stocked weight areas (they offer classes, too). I guess with some place like Orange Theory, I would worry about what else I could do there if I don't want classes, or get tired of classes. There's a newer one right by my house and it seems it's just classes, yes? Anyhow, if there is truly no long term contract or termination fee, then maybe it's not a big deal to just do for a month or two or three if you do get burned out on it.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    I have no idea what Orange Theory is. But- my husband and I had a similar disagreement when I decided I wanted to join a gym, and he used the same argument yours is making. Until very recently, he would occasionally complain about the price of my gym (it's a little expensive, but it's NICEEEE) and here's my argument for it: I am simply not one of those 'self-disciplined' types who can workout regularly at home. THe kids, the cat, the chores etc... all distract me. I need the gym atmosphere, and the fact that we spend a pretty penny on it is yet another motivating factor.

Make a sound case, and hopefully your guy is reasonable. Best of Luck!
  • riddlespriger
    Options
    Since you enjoy the class and can afford it, I say continue to go. Since there is no contract if you ever wanted to stop going you could without any consquences.
  • thedonnyg
    Options
    I say sign up for the classes. We could all work out at home, but home is full of distractions. Sometimes you need a different setting to allow you to focus on your goals. It'll be money well spent, in my opinion.
  • timberowl
    timberowl Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of just doing it until I reach my goal weight. Then maybe doing the once a week option after that. I'm trying to lose 24 more lbs. It seems like with the 550-800 calories per class I'd be burning that should happen pretty quickly.

DelReyMi, I agree. I always tell myself that "I'll work out as soon as I get home" or "I'll head straight to the gym" but it doesn't happen. The moment I get off work all I can focus on is eating dinner and going to bed.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,249 Member
    Options
    $139 a month sounds a little pricy to me but if you can afford it and enjoy it; why not?
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I don't know what Orange Theory is, but those classes seem very expensive.

My gym is $30/mo and has tons of classes that you don't pay extra for, plus a full weight room, cardio, raquetball, basketball, and a lap pool.

I would seriously consider researching other options.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,503 Member
    Options
    Anyone been to Orange Theory? My boyfriend and I are fighting about it right now (the cost).

I've been to a few of the classes. I was hooked after the first one last week, and felt GREAT (just the right amount of sore).

I signed up that day. They offered 1 class/week for $60/month, 2/week for $90 (that's after a $10 military discount). Unlimited is $139/month (after military discount).

Additional classes are $14 each.

I signed up for the 1/week but the owner gave me 4 free classes to use anytime in the next year. I had to pay $21.60 for a chest strap.

I'm signed up to go 3 times this week. I'd like to go 3 times/week from now on. If I sign up for the unlimited, I'd go 4-5 days a week. It's month-to-month with no contract.

Anyway. I only have about $600-800/month in "spending" money, but it's MINE. And I feel better physically after only 4 of these classes than I've ever felt before, and it fits perfectly into my schedule. Plus it's dark and cold outside so neither of us like me running after work.

He thinks it's "stupid to pay to work out when you can work out at home for free." And that it's overpriced.

The last two classes I've basically woken up and been stealthy and snuck out at 5:30am.

What do you think? Is it worth $139/month for a class that makes me feel awesome? Or should I just keep trucking it by myself...which I've been trying for YEARS by the way.
    If it's your money and the classes aren't bankrupting you, then take the classes if you like them. While working out at home is FREE, the issue for people is actually doing it. I can workout at home for free too, but it's not the same intensity as if I'm in the gym itself.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • timberowl
    Options
    $139 a month sounds a little pricy to me but if you can afford it and enjoy it; why not?

It is definitely pricey, even for the city I live in, where everything seems to have a "city surcharge." I wish it was cheaper, but it's not.

And what's unique is that a) your heart rate is displayed on the screen for everyone to see, and b) the instructor calls you out. They'll shout things like "Kara, why are you still in the green zone!!! Step it up!" and come up and show you if you're doing the exercise wrong.

I also love that all my exercise for the day is done within one hour and then when I get home I can just kick back and relax.

My BodyMedia arm band has verified that the heart rate monitor chest strap they have is relatively accurate (usually about a 80-100-calorie difference).
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Could you join a gym that offers classes for free that is cheaper?
  • NCSteveVH
    NCSteveVH Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    If you like it and it keeps you motivated, I think it's a great investment (especially since it's month-to-month and you have no long term obligation). I belong to a Crossfit box and I pay $140 a month and have no problem paying that. I go five days per week and actually look forward waking up at 5:00 am to do the workout of the day; l thoroughly enjoy it when I'm there busting my butt with my CF buddies; and my endorphins flow for hours afterwards. My wife sees how much I enjoy it and doesn't quibble about the monthly cost. And she's enjoying the results!
  • timberowl
    Options
    Not the same kind of classes...I've been to a lot of different kinds of fitness "group classes" and while they help a lot nothing's felt as good as this one.
  • obsidianwings
    obsidianwings Posts: 1,237 Member
    Options
    Its a rip. But you can more than afford it out of your personal spending money so your partner will just have to deal with it. Don't keep it a secret though
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Not the same kind of classes...I've been to a lot of different kinds of fitness "group classes" and while they help a lot nothing's felt as good as this one.

Well, it's your money, right? So do with it what you will. I do agree you don't have to spend a lot of money to get fit...but eh. Whatever floats your boat. But I hope this doesn't mean you have to sneak around just to do it. That really seems odd.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    If you want to do it, do it. Don't be sneaky about it, this will only make the situation worse for no reason at all!!
  • 125KC
    125KC Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I think YOU need to do what works for YOU. Your BF does not have to like, agree or even support it, however he should RESPECT your choices.

As you say your are not putting anyone else out by paying for these classes, so other than not liking or disagreeing, your BF has no say in the matter.

Sneaking out, well, I don't agree with that - you shouldn't have to.
  • tpfoodie
    tpfoodie Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    It's your money, do what you want with it. My gym costs me $125, and while I think that's insanely expensive it has a great atmosphere, lots of machines, and a number of classes that I really enjoy. I say go for it if you want it.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Seems like your decision is made. You don't need approval from random internet people on how you spend your money. If it's worth it to YOU, then it's worth it. Any investment in your health is worthwhile. I doubt the feedback you get is going to convince your partner, anyway, even if everyone said it was worth the price.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Wow, that's expensive. Though it's not a whole lot more than I've paid for some yoga studio memberships or what people pay for rock climbing gyms.

I say do it until you're tired of it. If you don't get tired of it, that's great! If you do, at least you won't always wonder if that was your magic bullet and resent him for discouraging it.