Paleo diet weight loss results

Options
Hey guys,
So I'm really interested in the paleo diet, I wanted to know if anyone has had good results with losing weight? Please put in your advice, and post pics if you have them! Thanks alot!

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,634 Member
    Options
    If the interest is in the diet itself, then you should try it. But good results happen with weight loss if calorie deficit is consistent. One can eat paleo and exceed their calorie limit and not lose weight at all.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    If the interest is in the diet itself, then you should try it. But good results happen with weight loss if calorie deficit is consistent. One can eat paleo and exceed their calorie limit and not lose weight at all.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

This. I did a Whole30 (very restrictive Paleo), and I felt good, and it didn't suck too hard for me, but when I went off it, I ended up bingeing over the holidays. I'm doing another, and plan to reintroduce foods slowly. I don't think it is responsible for weight loss any more than a deficit. While I gained part of the weight I lost back after being at my thinnest for about 6 months, the bulk of my weight loss came from eating pretty much whatever I wanted, but staying under 1500 calories a day. It's the deficit that does it. If Paleo helps you feel better and helps with the deficit, then give it a shot.
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options

^^^THIS^^^

Problem with diets is when you quit the diet, the weight can come back in a big hurry.

Calories in less than calories out = weight loss. It really is that simple.
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Everyone does at first... but then you'll hit a plateau if you're going way over on calories (which is actually easier to do then you might thing, even with no grains.)
  • laurie62ann
    laurie62ann Posts: 433 Member
    Options

^^^THIS^^^

Problem with diets is when you quit the diet, the weight can come back in a big hurry.

Calories in less than calories out = weight loss. It really is that simple.

Why diet? Make life style changes that will last you a life time of feeling great!
  • Lucidlyatliberty
    Options
    I've tried many many things. I was so into paleo I even went and bought books and restocked my whole house. Yes I lost weight because I wasn't eating a whole lot, i even felt more energy in the beginning, but I began to get mild colds very often and my cellulite came back full force. My body was full of mucus and my breathing became labored much faster when jogging. Fat is fat, yes some kinds are better than others but please dont mistake it or being as good for you as fruit., paleo was a phase for me. A three month set back.. Finally starting to see my cellulite reduce after a few months of a low fat diet. And my energy is coming back as well.
  • driii123
    driii123 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I did Paleo as well for 30 days with no weight loss. I just felt deprived of the foods I used to love so went back at them hard.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Hey guys,
    So I'm really interested in the paleo diet, I wanted to know if anyone has had good results with losing weight? Please put in your advice, and post pics if you have them! Thanks alot!

Many people find they are more successful in their weight loss when they keep their carb intake to a relatively low level, which for a lot of paleo folks means around <100g/day. I would play with your macros and see what works best for you.

The downsides to a Paleo type diet are it's more expensive than eating processed foods and I suppose it can take a bit more time to prepare fresh vegetables/meats/fruits than heating up processed foods. Personally, I don't consider those factors to be deal breakers. To really see great progress though, I'd still suggest logging all of your foods and hitting your macros daily. There's no reason you can't do this while eating paleo foods. Best of luck. :smile:
  • rem10210
    rem10210 Posts: 40 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Not to bee too repetitive, but THIS!
    I tried Paleo and loved how I felt, I lost fat and inches in the month-ish I did it. However, it was not sustainable FOR ME. Everyone is different. I have a friend who has been doing it for for a while and lost over 20lbs and loves it.
  • goldilocks509
    goldilocks509 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
  • Paleobarry11
    Options
    Hello,
    I played around with the paleo diet for about 6 months last year then last April 2013 I read "The. Paleo coach " by Jason Seib and I changed my way of thinking stopped looking at paleo as a diet and more of a sustainable lifestyle and so far I have lost 133 pounds !
    Respectfully , Barry