more cardio?

Options
I'm currently 171 and want to loose belly weight. Should I focus more on cardio then do ab workouts?

Replies

• parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Focus on your diet first and foremost. Do cardio if you want to work on cardiovascular health, and do weights if you want to help prevent the loss of lean body mass and to get stronger.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I've just been doing belly exercises and I think it's working. I don't know if cardio actually does anything for you other than make you sweat.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    You can't spot remove fat. You can strengthen your core doing core work, but that won't somehow target the fat around your midsection. All you can do is reduce your total body fat until your body does away with the belly fat you don't like.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Use your diet to reduce your BF% thus reducing the fat around your midsection. Doing ab work doesn't spot reduce fat...it doesn't work that way sadly. Do cardio for your cardiovascular health...it is weight lifting for your heart and lungs. Do strength training for your muscles and skeletal structure...compound lifts will do more for your core than isolated ab workouts...if you are going to do isolated ab workouts, there are many that are better than situps or crunches...those are about the worst thing you can do will all of that twisting of your spine.

Diet for weight control and fat loss, exercise for fitness.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I've just been doing belly exercises and I think it's working. I don't know if cardio actually does anything for you other than make you sweat.

"cardio" improved cardiovascular health. It also burns calories, as does any exercise. The more you burn, the more you can eat and still lose.

"Cardio is a very broad term, but some cardio exercises can also provide other benefits such as preventing loss of muscle and bone density, increased strength and endurance, improve balance, reduce stress and depression.