Even longer way to go, but I'm ready!

Hi everyone! I am embarking on this lifestyle improvement journey, and I am brand new to dieting and working out. I am 27, 5'5 and 265 lbs. Ugh, that is so scary to even write! But there it is.

So far, I have quit smoking cigarettes beginning of November. I reduced my morning calorie intake (prior to joining MFP) by switching to Slim-fast protein shakes and black tea with honey, instead of a bagel with cream cheese and coffee with lots of creamer. Exercise is not the easiest, but I have just acquired a membership to my local KROC center (like a YMCA, but run by the Salvation Army instead) and am ready to rock and roll. I am starting by setting a goal of 50 lbs.

I am going to begin working out Tuesday morning, after I get necessary gym bag items all ready to go. I plan to work out 2-3 times a week for about 45 min- 1 hour. Does anyone have any work out routine suggestion for women who haven't been in a gym in entirely too long?

Replies

• mlima14
    mlima14 Posts: 112 Member
    Hi there and welcome. I would like to let you know that the slim-fast shake is a way to start, but keep in mind that you won't be drinking slim fast the rest of your life. Try healthier, and leaner versions of what you eat, that way you could stick to those meals without feeling deprived. I make a 3 egg white + 1 whole egg omelet with spinach, onions and olives for breakfast and it's only 121 calories and it fills you up a lot. I add the whole egg because it tastes better for me, I don't like the egg whites alone. I also add a mandarin or orange in the morning and that's between 40 to 90 calories depending on the size. So right there you only have about 200 calories in breakfast plus you're not starving. That's always a plus for me. I get mean when I'm hungry so my hubby appreciates it when I make healthier, leaner versions of food. :wink:

Anyways, just add me if you like, we are here to help each other out.
  • DoctahJenn
    DoctahJenn Posts: 616 Member
    Hey there! Feel free to add me, though I don't have as far to go. But I promise to be supportive!!

My mom has always had bad knees, and she used to swear by water walking/water aerobics as an easy way to transition into exercise. If that's not your thing, my best advice is to find something you will really want to do, like finding a class of some sort. I do martial arts, myself, which is a great workout and tons of fun, or you can try a cycling class. Whatever you do, start slow! If you're not used to working out, don't overdo it or you'll burn out or hurt yourself. (I did that with running last year and completely ruined my exercise by getting tendinitis three weeks in. Sigh!)