Measurement???

Options
I have been here just over two months now and haven’t yet measured myself. Some people talk about it all the time. Do people recommending doing it? How often do you do it? What areas do you measure. I am only unsure because if the scale goes up I get disheartened I didn't want to start measuring and that also get me down it might do more harm than good.

Replies

• Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I never used to measure... but now I measure everything. I don't do it often (every few months, maybe?) but it is great to see the numbers change. Sometimes, when you look at yourself, everyday, you just don't see it. But when the number tell you that you've lost 8 inches off your stomach... man that's a good feeling!
  • nikkijean8
    nikkijean8 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I would definitely recommend measuring yourself! Just don't do it too often - once a month seems to be pretty good for me. If you do it too often, then you will get down when the numbers don't go down fast enough. I find this feedback matters a lot more to me than what the scale is reading - in fact, it's cheered me up a few times when the pounds weren't coming off as fast as I had hoped they would.
    I especially think this is important if you work out a lot - you may find that you see changes with the tape measure even if you don't drop much weight for a little while.
    I measure the areas I care the most about. The waist, hips, and thighs. I also measure my chest (just under your bust) and arms, but that's more out of curiosity than anything. Of all those areas, I put the most stock in my waist measurement, so if you're not convinced about measuring yourself, you may want to just start there.
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options
    Yes measure yourself!!

It's great motivation.

I do it weekly with my weigh in. I always see changes every Sunday whether it be a drastic change or a small change. It keeps me motivated through out the week and lets me know what I need to focus on more. Once week one of my thighs were bigger than the other thigh so I knew to do a little extra on the bigger thigh to slim it down.

**I also measure myself a lot so I can give a good review about workout programs that claim fast & good results**
    (and yes Insanity is a great workout program to have those inches melt off! Went from size 14/15 pushing 16 to size 11 within a month and a half)
  • marymooster
    marymooster Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    measuring is great once a month is enough... it will show changes the scale wont
  • timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Yes measuring does help and I wouldn't do it any more freq. than once a month so that you can actually see a little change because it will more like say and inch or 2 off your waist for example in that time.....also MFP has a place you can put those to keep track, it is where you place your weight.....
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I measure once a month. If I went strictly by the scale, I would be completely discouraged for the past 3 months, since the scale hasn't moved.
  • TabiHerbalifeCoach
    Options
    Normally I measure 1-2 times a month, but when doing the 30 day shred i measure at the end of every level. i measure,

Neck, arms, bust, waist, hips and thighs.
  • Ellem86
    Ellem86 Posts: 204
    Options
    I'm also really big on measuring. I measure the same areas as Sassy mentioned above.

I have lost 7 inches off my waist since January, if I hadn't been measuring I would have been very discouraged as I've only lost 8.5 pounds in that time.