Hummas??

Options
I have never had hummas and lots of people rave about it. Do you like it and what do you eat it with/on?

Replies

• frankysgurl
    frankysgurl Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I usually cut up a ww pita into triangles and I also cut up celery and carrots sticks to dip it with.
  • kiittenforever
    kiittenforever Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    It is awesome with cucumbers, baby carrots and celery. Sometimes I just eat it by itself :)

Nice dip for pita bread
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    on sandwiches
    with pita chips
    on triscuits with daiya vegan cheese
    with cut up veggies-best is tomatoes,cucumbers,broc/cauliflower,carrots
  • Michellekutz1
    Options
    Sounds good any brand/type you suggest?
  • KLizKnits
    Options
    My favorite is the Sabra Roasted Red Pepper Hummus. I eat it with pretzel crisps most often but also use it on sandwiches instead of mayo.

If you can't find the roasted red pepper flavor, try buying the peppers in a jar and adding them yourself. So yummy!
  • spg71
    spg71 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I cant decide if Hummas is evil for you. Deep down it must be bad for you as i can eat a entire tub for tea along with some cucumber and pitta bread.

NOM NOM NOM

p.s

There is a lovely one in the UK with sweet red onion in it as well thats even more

NOM NOM NOM NOM
  • claudiakendall98
    claudiakendall98 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Cut up an Apple and dip them in Hummus .
  • KHalseth
    KHalseth Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I like the Hummas with Pine Nuts in it. To make it more healthy, use it as a veggie dip. While it has fat, it is healthier than ranch dressing as a veggie dip.
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    My kids and I love hummus! They only really eat it with pita chips or sometimes the veggie chips. I enjoy it like that very much but usually eat it with various raw veggies. My favorite brand is Sabra. I've always loved the roasted red pepper, spinach & artichoke and the roasted garlic flavors. But I recently bought the spicy and supremely spicy flavors, and they are awesome too! Just watch how much you eat. One serving is 2 tablespoons, and that is not a lot. I have to measure mine out or I can't stop because it's so good.
  • MizTerry
    MizTerry Posts: 3,763 Member
    Options
    Hummus is good. Sabra is my favorite brand. I eat mine with celery, carrots or pita chips.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I really like hummus. I make my own. There are a lot of different flavors and recipes to try. I usually serve my hummus with veggies or use it as a spread for wraps. It work well as a sauce for a greek style pizza too. Here is the recipe I made this week.

http://soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2014/01/wasabi-hummus.html
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Here is the basic recipe I use.

Traditional Hummus

1 can garbanzo beans (drained, reserving liquid)
    3 Tbsp tahini
    juice of 1 lemon
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tsp salt

Add can of garbanzo beans, 1/3 cup of the liquid from the can, tahini, lemon juice, garlic and salt to the food processor. Blend until smooth. Add more liquid depending on how thick you like it.

To serve: I spread 2 Tbsp on a plate. Make a moat in the hummus with the back of a spoon. Drizzle moat with olive oil. Sprinkle with paprika and chili powder. In the very center place a black olive and finely chopped pickled jalapeno. It looks like something from my favorite Greek restaurant. Serve with pita or veggies for dipping.
  • BeckyS32
    BeckyS32 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    There is a Smoky Chipotle Hummus on allrecipes.com. It is amazing! I have only tried store bought once and didn't care for it too much but it may have been the kind I bought. :)
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I like it on my shawarma's :P deeeelish. Though I cooked it in chicken yesterday and it was a nice variation to breaded chicken. (since breaded chicken is to be avoided for me) Haven't really tried it any other way but I imagine it would be a nice dip. Definitely better for you than my usual dip (Caesar dressing)
  • kstiffler10
    kstiffler10 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I tried today a hummus deviled egg, and it was so good!!! Instead of mayo and mustard add the hummus.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    love hummus - usually with raw veg or pita or crackers but I think it would be a good replacement for refried beans in some kind of veggie wrap and the deviled egg sounds good might try that and I like home made also basic recipe as posted you can also make it with black beans but it looks nasty :frown:
  • alexandriax03
    alexandriax03 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    on sandwiches
    with pita chips
    on triscuits with daiya vegan cheese
    with cut up veggies-best is tomatoes,cucumbers,broc/cauliflower,carrots

How do you like Daiya cheeses?
  • pain_is_weakness
    pain_is_weakness Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    MG I could talk all day about humus, my favorite is the roasted pine nut kind. You can eat it as a dip with like any veggie, on sandwiches, I eat it with crackers, pretzels and veggies, basically anything I have
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I mix it in my tuna so I use less mayo.
    With Naked Pita Chips
    Or Dip in Veggies

I like Open Nature - Garlic and Chive and Sabra Roasted Red Pepper
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Yay for hummus. Pepper strips and carrots and good hummus vessels.