Heart Rate Monitor inaccurate?

bekylouisex3
bekylouisex3 Posts: 242 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey :smile: I've just finished my workout and have had some problems with my HRM. In the middle of my workout it stayed around 50-80bpm, which wasnt correct as I checked my pulse and it was going really fast! This caused my calories burnt to be around 50 in the first 15 minutes where normally it would be above 100.

It seemed to have started working properly again after I wiped some water off of the chest strap sensors and my bpm went up to 120ish (i cant remember the exact numbers lol). I know that the sensors need to be wet to work, but can too much sweat cause the sensors to read inaccurately?

I just wondered about this so in further workouts I can make sure that I take breaks to towel off and have my water, because I normally don't towel off until the end.

Thanks for your help guys :flowerforyou:

Replies

• Hi!
    I've been using a HRM for about a year now and have not had any problems like that with it. I have found that if it's not accurate I need to move it around a bit, it might be too high or too low, but another thing might be interference from a HRM someone near me is wearing. If I see someone next to me at the gym has one I try and move away.. That's my experience with it anyway, I hope that helps :)
  • Have you been cleaning the chest strap after workouts? Seems a bit gross, but when sweat dries on the strap, the salt can crust up and cause the sensors to have problems reading. I typically rinse the strap off after every workout and throw it in the washer every couple of weeks. Check the users guide to find the care information for your strap.

Another issue that can cause readings like that is a low battery - if you've had your HRM for about a year or so, that could be the problem.
This discussion has been closed.