How many calories do I burn?

Options
I'm 18, 5'4 and 125 lbs. if I walk at a brisk pace for 30 mins my pedometer says I burn around 100 calories, does that sound accurate?

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I'm 18, 5'4 and 125 lbs. if I walk at a brisk pace for 30 mins my pedometer says I burn around 100 calories, does that sound accurate?

That would be about right for gross calories. Net, you're looking at about 65 calories.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Not sure what "brisk" means but if you're walking at least 3mph, that sounds like a reasonable calorie burn.
  • Mandi5Dogs
    Mandi5Dogs Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, yes. I had been using the calories burned from the elliptical machines, but when I started using a HR monitor I discovered they were very different. My trainer said I really needed to go by HR, not what the machines told me because the monitors use your fitness level based on heart beats, not just weight and age. So as you become more fit, your calories expended goes down. Ughhh......
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    A heart rate monitor would give you a more accurate burn. Pedometers etc. don't take into account if you are going up and down hills or any other condition that would effect your heart rate. But on average that sounds about right.
  • amyk225
    amyk225 Posts: 154
    Options
    I would definatly recommend a HRM, if i walk fast for one hour i burn at least 400 calories and thats not me killing myself,.......
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Yeah sounds about right
  • robbimoraes4
    Options
    I have a heart rate monitor, but every time I finish a workout it says I've burned 0 calories and I can't figure out why but it's super frustrating and I just stopped using it
  • YorriaRaine
    YorriaRaine Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I have a heart rate monitor, but every time I finish a workout it says I've burned 0 calories and I can't figure out why but it's super frustrating and I just stopped using it

Is it detecting your heart rate at all? If your using one with a chest strap you need to wet the strap part that touches your skin.

If it detects your heart rate but does not tell you your burning calories, sounds like a malfunction in the hrm. You could send it in under warranty more than likely if its under a year old.

Could also need a replaced battery.
  • robbimoraes4
    Options
    Oh, I haven't been wetting the belt, that might be it and does it have to touch my skin because I've been wearing it over my tanktop?