plantar fasciitis and foot brace

Options
Not saying this is for everyone.....but I have suffered with plantar fasciitis for couple of years, I think once you have it, you are prone to reaggrivating it....I don't think it ever truely goes 100% away......anyhow, a couple months ago someone said you could get a brace to wear at night that helps.......well, IT DOES!!!!!!!! I puchased mine at Walgreen's for around $30 and it is worth every penny....when I would get up in the morning before, I could barely walk....I would do the streches and all and they did help some but not like the brace has....It has made my fasciitis atleast 80% better and that is amazing to me because it is very painful and I am not willing to rest it because I walk/run alot and that just reaggrivates it....now the brace takes a little getting used to sleeping in it....but that is nothing compared to the pain you suffer day in and day out with the fasciitis.......sorry to have rambled on for sooo long but the brace is soooo worth a try....:bigsmile:

Replies

• countrymama08
    Options
    I second the use of a night brace. I have used one on and off for years. I would caution people on the type they buy. I have one from the podiatrist and it is great. It is like a boot. I got rid of an old one so I bought one made by nexcare that used straps to keep your foot flexed. It hurt my foot more. The one I have now is great. I usually wind up pulling it off in the middle of the night though.
  • apehead1
    apehead1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling with this issue now ever since May,

Is there anyway you can send a picture of the brace or a link to the brace you are mentioning,

I'm in canada and have no idea what the brace looks like

thanks
  • timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    I've been struggling with this issue now ever since May,

Is there anyway you can send a picture of the brace or a link to the brace you are mentioning,

I'm in canada and have no idea what the brace looks like

thanks

I am CRAPPY with the computer....but I will take a picture of the brace today and place it in my profile.....that is the easiest for me and you will be able to see it there....but probably will get to it later today...
  • apehead1
    apehead1 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    thanx
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    Mine did go away and I have not dealt with it for probably 4 years now, so there is hope! Glad you discovered the brace as it is helpful. When I was dealing with it, I also have custom made inserts (rather $$$$) for my shoes which helped alleviate the pain as well. Good luck!
  • countrymama08
    Options
    Mine did go away and I have not dealt with it for probably 4 years now, so there is hope! Glad you discovered the brace as it is helpful. When I was dealing with it, I also have custom made inserts (rather $$$$) for my shoes which helped alleviate the pain as well. Good luck!

I wear sneakers to work daily with inserts. Mine are not custom made but they are rigid and from the podiatrist. When I went to him, I showed him the nice cushy dr scholl things and he said you need something more rigid to support the arch. I hate wearing sneakers all the time but I figure I will be able to gradually work into normal shoes once I get some of the weight off my feet. :-)
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,186 Member
    Options
    It was at least 15 years ago when I first started having problems with my feet. Back then it was just a "strain". 8 years ago they started calling it plantar fasciitis. 8 years ago I got custom orthotics for my shoes. Best $$ I never spent....insurance covered them at the time. But wayyyy back when they were calling it a "strain" I found relief by rolling up a pair of socks and putting it in the arch of my foot, inside a sock, and then wrapping it fairly tight with an ace bandage covering the foot and ankle to keep it from relaxing through the night. Occasionally it will flare up, usually during the summer when I am going barefoot. I never did find a pill that would kill that pain. I react badly to steroids so I never got the cortizone shots.
  • countrymama08
    Options
    Occasionally it will flare up, usually during the summer when I am going barefoot.

This is huge. The Dr told me to wear shoes all the time. I said I could not wear shoes in the house. I bought a pair of sneaks to use with the Wii (I did Wii active barefoot and had a really bad flare up) and I have croc flip flops for in the house so I have some support. I just have to wear shoes all the time for now.
  • ezrida
    Options
    Hi
    I have heel pain diagnosed as plantar fasciitis and I have been checked by a podiatrist. My podiatrist recommended the use of a night splint and I have found a good website explanation at:
    http://www.plantar-fasciitis-elrofeet.com/Foot_Night_Splint.html
    Take care & good luck