What are the best foods to eat?

Options
Hi guys, I am trying to eat a bit better to see if it'll help me lose a couple of pounds!
For my breakfast I have been eating a 30g bowl of bran flakes with a little bit of semi-skimmed milk.
For lunch, a tin of various kinds of weight watchers soup, then a ryvita cracker with light philadelphia spread.
For me, breakfast and lunch are fine as they fill me up enough without me being hungry and I also try and drink alot of water throughout the day.
Dinner time is where I struggle!
I live with my partner (we're both 22) and I find it difficult to make meals that we both like and are healthy. Neither of us are particularly keen on veg but I do like peas and carrots.
On a typical week, the meals I'll probably make are spaghetti bolognaise with garlic bread, chicken with a sauce and rice, share a pizza with some chips (fries), frozen fish with some chips (fries), chicken pie and chips, crispy chicken breasts with super noodles.

I know we probably eat too many chips and should have potatoes instead, but I suppose it's more a convenience thing and I never really know how to make tasty potatoes!
Anyone got any ideas on what we can change to be healthier?

We're not overweight or anything, I'm 5ft5 and around 135lbs but would like to lose around half a stone

Replies

• MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    You can oven fry potatoes by cutting them thin, tossing with some olive oil and your favorite seasonings, and then baking them in the oven until crisp. I actually use bread dipping seasoning mix. Yummy!

And def don't need potatoes of any kind with pizza. If anything a salad on the side. Put some diced potatoes in your chicken pie and skip the fries there, too.

Try whole grain or whole grain blend pastas for your spaghetti night, pass on the garlic bread. I assume crispy chicken is fried? Try broiling or grilling your chicken. I don't know what super noodles are.

You are going to have to work some fruits and veggies in there somewhere. I don't even see peas and carrots on your menu. I make a turkey meatloaf with spinach inside of it. I swear, you would never know it's there other than wondering what the green stuff is.

L
  • seasha86
    Options
    If you go to kraftfoods.com there is a tasty version of spaghetti bolognaise that is lower in fat and tastes really good! Bake your chicken and fish and if you must have fries bake them too. Go for brown rice instead of white rice(if that's what you use). I find good recipes on eatingwell.com, eatbetteramerica.com, and sparkrecipes.com.