toning with weights.. its complicated. appreciate advice

Options
I started at 370 I have released 204 pounds.

my thing is now.. I have Rheumatoid Arthritis stemming from my body attack itself because I had ulcerative colitis which is a auto immune disease . fun I know lol.. its what helped pack on the weight.. steroids prednisone high dose for two years.. i was 17.

anyway its left me with RA in both my wrists and in my left elbow.. I cant do push ups.. and when I say I cant i mean i cant.. i have tried girly, wall, you name it.. anything that requires pressure on the wrists or straightening my elbow is painful.. i still continue to try.. i do chest flys.. they hurt, but i do them.. i do like overhead presses. it hurts, but i push through. i dont let it keep me from doing things.. i have to modify sometimes, but i never quit,

my question is what type of weight toning exercises can i do that wont aggravate my ra.. so far i don't have loose skin although i know i cant control that, but i know if i continue to exercise and tone as i go it may not be as bad when im finished.

i have been toning as i have been releasing the weight.. . my profile pic is two weeks old.. my log is open so you can see my pics.. you can message me , leave a comment here or join my group if you would like support as well.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/18785-motivation-support-and-accountability

i am 31 pounds from my goal weight of 135

any advice would be appreciated..

thanks in advance

Replies

• HawkeyeTy
    HawkeyeTy Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I have no advice, I think you're doing pretty damn well...
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    not sure about you RA..but here is what i will suggest..

1. get a copy of starting strength and new rules of lifting for woman and read them.
    2. Once you have read these, familiar yourself with the form of compound movements - barbell squats, deadlifts, overhead press, rows, pull ups/chin ups, bench press.
    3 . Develop a program around these moves where you are lifting heavy, probably in the 6-10 rep range, about four sets each exercise.
    4. Set macros to 40p/30f/30c
    5. You can do three day a week total body workout…or three day a week split like chest/arms on monday; legs - wens; shoulders/back friday …or upper/lower split four days a week
    6. repeat until you have desired success…a little cardio once a week will not hurt either…
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    FitnFeistyLyness Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    thanks Hawkeye, but there is always more to learn and grow.
  • HawkeyeTy
    Options
    not sure about you RA..but here is what i will suggest..

1. get a copy of starting strength and new rules of lifting for woman and read them.
    2. Once you have read these, familiar yourself with the form of compound movements - barbell squats, deadlifts, overhead press, rows, pull ups/chin ups, bench press.
    3 . Develop a program around these moves where you are lifting heavy, probably in the 6-10 rep range, about four sets each exercise.
    4. Set macros to 40p/30f/30c
    5. You can do three day a week total body workout…or three day a week split like chest/arms on monday; legs - wens; shoulders/back friday …or upper/lower split four days a week
    6. repeat until you have desired success…a little cardio once a week will not hurt either…

Solid advice, for someone who doesn't have RA.

I have RA, and it can make even gripping onto a bar almost impossible.
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    Options
    thanks nd love this advice, but the RA makes lifting heavy impossible.. i will take the rest of the advice though . proper form is key i know.

hawkeye your right on.. someday i will find a way to heal it with nutrition and sups im just not there yet. i did put my uc in remission..

im hoping to get some advice on moves i can do that wont irritate it and make it flare
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to make this work with RA, but all you really need (for upper body specific stuff) is to find a way to perform a resisted PUSHING movement (this will work the chest, shoulders, and triceps) and a resisted PULLING movement (this will work the rest of the upper body). I wish I could be more specific, but I can't given your condition. However, if there is a way, all you need to know is that the basics of it--the upper body portion--is to generate pushing force from the upper body, and pulling force pulling in toward the body. Does that help at all?

EDIT: OOOH OOOH HOW ABOUT THIS! Resistance band systems that are hooked up to wrist cuffs rather than having you grip the handles!
  • Ciniharts
    Options
    Well it's not weights, but have you considered doing a Pilates DVD for toning? Mari Winsor does one that has a 20 min workout that includes modification options for those who are unable to perform all of the moves yet.

Also, awesome job with all your progress so far!
  • bgrocholski
    bgrocholski Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I too have colitis, and I had a year long bout with RA about 9 years ago. I can remember the days of not being able to tie my shoes as I could not stand back up.

I think that the advice ndj is solid, and it is a matter of using lighter weights for the moves that really stress your sore joints.

For the moves that hurt, I don't think you can go wrong with power-bands. And if worse comes to worse, stick with body-weight moves.

The RA should go away, as I said, it hit me hard for one year, and I haven't had any major issues since.

Keep pushing.
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    May I suggest a session or two with a good trainer (ask around for one who *listens* to clients really well). Have that trainer help you figure out the best combination of (blasphemy, I know) machines so that you can get an optimal workout for your situation.

For example, I understand why the bench press would be excruciating, but there are many kinds of pec-dec machines that might work really well for you. One in particular reminded me of hugging a tree - no elbow strain or gripping involved.

My gut feeling is that with a little creative help, you'll be able to put together a nice solid routine to help you be your best, despite the RA challenge.

OH! If you are in the US, and are seeing a trainer for a documented medical condition like RA, that can often be either deducted on your taxes or you can use pre-tax health dollars. --not tax advice, just food for thought.
  • ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    RA sucks, my mom has it (diagnosed about 25 years ago) and I have seen what it does to your body over the years.

Keep moving and keep trying, the adage is especially true with some with RA, "Use it or lose it".

A friend of my mom's does tai chi, I just started doing it as well and its wonderful for keeping your joints moving and active. Another person I know with RA suggested cycling.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,396 Member
    Options
    I have a good friend with RA and she works out with a trainer and does TRX suspension training and it doesn't hurt her. Don't know if that's financially an option but maybe you could look into it and see if it would work. Good luck and great job on your progress so far!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    One of my best friends has RA. She was born with it. She swims and she's water weights
  • snowbear1005
    snowbear1005 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm in a similar position. I was initially diagnosed with RA two years ago and placed on prednisone for 10 months, but my diagnosis has since been changed to Lupus. In addition to joint pain, I have myositis (inflammation of the muscle), mainly in my mid-back.

I feel better during and immediately after a strenuous workout, but the pain and swelling flare up within a few hours. I have to be careful with my wrists - do planks on my elbows, hold dumbbells for push-ups to keep my wrists straight, but I don't many push-ups yet. I have to be careful with yoga - prolonged poses will aggravate my hands and wrists.

My back cannot handle any weight bearing exercises. I can do bicep curls and tricep work with dumbbells, rows with light weights. I do chest/overhead presses, deadlifts, lat pull-downs, lateral/front raises, and flys with no weights just to get my body used to the movement. It's only been a few weeks, but it seems to be helping. I'm having less pain in my back. My shoulders and upper back are not getting as fatigued. I couldn't even do a lateral raise with weight when I first started back at the gym.

My knees are damaged from the inflammatory arthritis, but since losing some of the steroid weight, they don't hurt as much. Going down stairs and low squats are uncomfortable, but not exceptionally painful anymore.

Yoga and pilates are both good and gentler, but you won't get the dramatic results you will with weight training. Or as fast. But, it might be a good place to start. Or try mimicking the weight moves without weights for a few weeks and see if that helps.
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    Options
    wow.. thanks for all the great advice. i use weights but lighter ones.. the elbow is what kills me not being able to bend..
    i do have body elastics i will try them

when it warms up im going to hit the pool more.
    when i start working.. unemployed now.. i will look into getting a trainer

i have used the machines before..i just have to be careful

i never give up. i keep trying and pushing..

i have a goal to make.. but my overall goal is being healthy and fit, for those with obstacles like this.. dont let it hold you back.. there are always ways to get past them.. i will find my loophole.

thanks everyone!
  • kimby303
    kimby303 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I also have RA, although not nearly as bad as you, it sounds. :( I'm still pretty functional 6yrs after diagnosis...there's really not much I can't do. However, I do notice that if I eat sugar (I'm a sugar-aholic), I feel miserable....swollen, achy, stiff, etc., in almost every joint. Based on the amount of weight you've lost, I'm assuming you really don't eat much sugar, but I just thought I'd throw that out there for anyone else who may not realize how much sugar affects RA. I didn't really believe it until I completely cut out refined sugar, and I went from hurting (at least a little bit) almost every day of the week to hurting maybe once or twice every 3mos. Also, I have not had a flare in over a year, when I used to get bad flares 3-4x a year (and I only take 1mg of prednisone each day). I don't have any suggestions on exercises, except to keep trying things until you find something that doesn't hurt (or doesn't hurt as bad as the others). Another suggestion (in case you haven't already) is to ask your rheumatologist or do a Google search. Good luck, and congrats on the excellent job!
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I just read the RA section in the book "The Complete Book of Personal Training' by Douglas Brooks.

Here are the main points:
    - strength training is important because due to pain it is easy to inadvertently let muscles waste
    - isometric exercises are good during a flare up and to prevent pain, yoga would be good for this
    - balance work is important, once again yoga would be good for this
    - Low reps/heavy loads are not recommended, neither is high impact movements
    - Use a variety of equipment - resistance bands, machines, free weights; 8-20 rep range
    - "It is never too late for strength gains, and because chronic inflammation and associated inactivity target muscles for breakdown, strength training is paramount."
    - Use the "Two Hour Rule" - "If a client's pain level is greater than it was before exercising and the pain persists more than two hours after the session, the client has done too much"

Hope this helps!
  • HawkeyeTy
    Options
    The RA should go away, as I said, it hit me hard for one year, and I haven't had any major issues since.

Yea, for most people it doesn't just "go away" and working through it going to make it worse.

I have been through this for years with my doctor.
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    Options
    sj.. thank you so much! that was very helpful. does it give any specific moves i could do.. thank you!

hawk.. its funny i have had mine for years and have still worked out. when i don't workout it seems to be worse.. when im working out and pushing through i feel im strengthening the muscles and not letting them get weak. than again it could my latina mix stubbornness . i don't like to let things hold me down im a fighter.
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    Options
    ash.. you reminded me i should start doing qui again.. that energy that i get from doing that within my body is good
  • karryann2008
    Options
    I suggest you see a PT and /or get a good strength training book.( cant get to my books to recommend one right now) There are a vast amount of variations to most exercises, it is possibility that you will be able to get a good program together that doesn't hurt you.
    I am a bodybuilder(natural) I will be 50 next year and have SPD(unstable pelvis), OA in my pelvis, right hand and wrist. and nerve damage in both hands from Raynauds syndrome. I have found ways to work with my issues not against them. I use versa gripps, takes the pressure out of my hands.
    I would start with a full body workout 2-3 times a week until you get used to the movements. Just work within your bodies natural range of movements- if straightening your arms hurts , don't fully straighten your arms.
    Please ask if you want anything more specific and I'll do my best to answer

eta- alot of good advice in previous posts