OA/FA Meetings Anyone?

xTattooedDollx
xTattooedDollx Posts: 426 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Has anyone been to a Overeaters Aonymous or a Food Addiction meeting? Its based of the 12 step program (which is too religous for me) but a friend asked if I'd go, I'm game. Just wondering if they have been helpful to anyone.

Replies

• grlaurie
    grlaurie Posts: 77 Member
    I have never been to a OA meeting but regulary attend Alanon and I will say 12 step programs are not religious (spelling) but are spritual in nature. I have really found that applying what I have learned in Alanon is really helping me in the weight loss battle...Good luck and keep an open mind. :)
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    The 12 step programs are really NOT religious, if this is your worry. :flowerforyou: It is a wonderful free program to make you look at yourself, not others.

I was in a program (not allowed to say cuz of the anonymity of the other person). I thought going in it would be religious and putting others down but it was anythign but.

We do refer to a higher power.......for my friend that is the Universe, for me Christ, for my other friend it is the energy that comes from a gem.........each of us need SOMEthing to believe in and it does help.

This being said the first step "Admitting we have a problem" put me in the right frame of mind to move forward.

Try it, free couseling is hard to find and you may find it helps a lot. If not, nothing ventured nothing gained!:drinker:
  • xTattooedDollx
    Just finished my first meeting. Horribly religous.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Just finished my first meeting. Horribly religous.
    [/quote/]

I think it depends on who is leading your meetings. There may be several in your area with different leaders. Try different ones.
  • xTattooedDollx
    I think I am going to try another meeting with another leader. I really like the 12 step idea for food addiction. I have a lot of friends that it has helped with alcohol and drug problems. They also have online meetings.
This discussion has been closed.