Squats nearly killed me - what can I do instead?

Options
2»

Replies

• Samuraiko
    Samuraiko Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    yeah it's why the bigger you are the harder it is to do pull ups- there is a tangible real connection to how over weight you are and how much extra weight you are carrying around- it'd be like me walking around with another person on me ALL the time. (i'm same height as you)

seriously-You are literally carrying a 2nd person strapped to you ALL the time. Do NOT underestimate how that will impact you and your ability to do things.

And I'm not saying that to be rude- it's just a wildly overlooked point. people don't realize often that one of the reasons they are so uncomfortable isn't because they are over weight and it' makes them self conscious or whatever- it's the fact that all that fat WEIGHS something. It's literally like carrying DB's everywhere you go. And that affects your body way more than you realize.

Keep at it- you'll get better I promise!!!
    Oh I know!

Best way I ever found to keep my weight loss in perspective - I've lost just over 30lbs so far. So I picked up four gallon-jugs of water - 2 in each hand - when I was at the store the other day (which is a little over 32 lbs, 8lbs each) and stood there for a couple of minutes. Then I put them down and smiled knowing that I don't carry that much anymore.

I'm looking forward to losing the remaining 12 gallons. I will be half the woman I was when I started! :D
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    yeah it's why the bigger you are the harder it is to do pull ups- there is a tangible real connection to how over weight you are and how much extra weight you are carrying around- it'd be like me walking around with another person on me ALL the time. (i'm same height as you)

seriously-You are literally carrying a 2nd person strapped to you ALL the time. Do NOT underestimate how that will impact you and your ability to do things.

And I'm not saying that to be rude- it's just a wildly overlooked point. people don't realize often that one of the reasons they are so uncomfortable isn't because they are over weight and it' makes them self conscious or whatever- it's the fact that all that fat WEIGHS something. It's literally like carrying DB's everywhere you go. And that affects your body way more than you realize.

Keep at it- you'll get better I promise!!!
    Oh I know!

Best way I ever found to keep my weight loss in perspective - I've lost just over 30lbs so far. So I picked up four gallon-jugs of water - 2 in each hand - when I was at the store the other day (which is a little over 32 lbs, 8lbs each) and stood there for a couple of minutes. Then I put them down and smiled knowing that I don't carry that much anymore.

I'm looking forward to losing the remaining 12 gallons. I will be half the woman I was when I started! :D
    That's super-duper awesome! I know of a woman at my gym that has been going for many years, and she's still large, but it makes me smile to think that she keeps on coming. I think about all the things I've been successful at that were the most satisfying, and they're all things, not that I was naturally good at, but things I've struggled at, but just refused to ever stop or give up, even if there were delays or detours or even switchbacks.

And it makes me inspired that you are willing to get out of your comfort zone and keep doing what you're doing and working toward your goals! :happy:
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Oh I know!

I agree- super awesome. - half the woman you were- but twice as awesome for being so successful??

I like it- go for it. :) those gallons of water really put it in perspective for you!! I think that's a great reminder. Keep trucking my friend!
  • rbear713
    rbear713 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    LUNGES!
  • Kathryn41057
    Kathryn41057 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    You should be letting your knee glide past your toes. It's also okay to lean forward when doing squats without weight - you have to keep your balance. Your weight should be in the middle of your foot, heel on the ground. Stick your arms out in front of you and just squat down. Think about your hips going up and down, and just let the rest of your body do what it does naturally.

This advice is so different from everything that I have read about doing squats.

When I first started learning to do squats...since I have bad knees...I read many articles...what each of them had in common...

1. Do not let knees pass the toes
    2. Weight in heels
    3. Move butt as if you are going to sit in a chair
    4. Keep back straight...no slumping

From what I read...Sumo Squats are the easiest on the knees...they are the ones that I do and so far they have not caused me any pain as long as I don't do to many.

I am like OP...I work hard to make sure that my knees stay behind my toes.

Just curious...
  • Annie_01
    Options
    LUNGES!

I hate those things...I struggle with them...I am determined to be able to do them.

Lunges...above everything else...is the hardest on my knees.
  • Samuraiko
    Samuraiko Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    You should be letting your knee glide past your toes. It's also okay to lean forward when doing squats without weight - you have to keep your balance. Your weight should be in the middle of your foot, heel on the ground. Stick your arms out in front of you and just squat down. Think about your hips going up and down, and just let the rest of your body do what it does naturally.

This advice is so different from everything that I have read about doing squats.

When I first started learning to do squats...since I have bad knees...I read many articles...what each of them had in common...

2. Weight in heels

From what I read...Sumo Squats are the easiest on the knees...they are the ones that I do and so far they have not caused me any pain as long as I don't do to many.

Just curious...
    Never heard of Sumo Squats... I'll have to look those up...
    LUNGES!

I hate those things...I struggle with them...I am determined to be able to do them.

Haven't tried doing lunges yet... I am a wuss. :)
  • cordianet
    cordianet Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I have 2 suggestions:

One, try chair squats. This is a movement you're already familiar with and is good for teaching form. It has the added benefit of having a built in safety mechanism in that if you have issues, just stay seated.

Two, try something called a goblet squat. You can do this with a gallon of milk or water if you don't have anything else and it will work fine. It may sound counter-intuitive to do an exercise with weight if you're struggling doing the exercise without weight, but I think you'll find it will be easier on you becasue it's almost impossible to do front squats/goblet squats with bad form. The very act of balancing that weight out in front of you will correct many form issues.
  • ME0172
    ME0172 Posts: 200
    Options
    My husband has knee problems and can't do lunges or squats without pain. He does steps. Get the 2-3 foot height step and use it to step up and down. You can add dumbbells or a bar for added weight. Go to a higher step if it doesn't bother your knee.
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Maybe consider doing wall squats - these would let easily modify how low you go and would limit the knee joint movement.

I do body pump (bar & weights) and my knees hurt at the beginning but when I do wall squats with an exercise ball behind my back my knees don't hurt near as much
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Informative and entertaining piece about the "third-world" squat.
    http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1856085
  • Annie_01
    Options

2. Weight in heels

Just curious...
    Never heard of Sumo Squats... I'll have to look those up...
    LUNGES!

Haven't tried doing lunges yet... I am a wuss. :)

LOL I understand. As your weight goes does that will help. I can do so much more now than I could 50lbs ago.

I started squats will using my resistance bands for support and stabilization. I would load 3 of them in to the door anchor and just hold them as I went down and came back up. That helped tremendously. Someone suggested holding on to a counter and that too helps.

Someone else mentioned doing chair squats...those are helpful too.

Lunges...I don't know...I did 2x6 today...but they weren't pretty! I also am working on side lunges...I got a ways to go on those too!

Just keep trying...you will be amazed at what your body is able to do as you lose weight and gain some flexibility.

Look for knee strengthening exercises. I found a lot by searching for exercises geared for obese and elderly. They have helped my joints a lot.

Good luck with those squats!
  • EricRazorbacks
    EricRazorbacks Posts: 42 Member
    Options

2. Weight in heels

Just curious...

I've read that the knees not going past the toes argument goes back to a 1970s study that found that the forces to the knee are increased when one does it. While that may be true, that doesn't mean it is to a dangerous level for the average person. I'm not saying this applies to you, but the below linked study talks about the knees going past the toes when squatting issue.

"Although restricting forward movement of the knees may minimize stress on the knees, it is likely that forces are inappropriately transferred to the hips and low-back region. Thus, appropriate joint loading during this exercise may require the knees to move slightly past the toes."

http://www.luciano.si/images/blog015_raziskava.pdf

Some people's body proportions make it much easier for them to keep their knees behind their toes when squatting. For me to do it with my body proportions, I'd probably sacrifice my lower back to the weightlifting gods.
  • creativerick
    creativerick Posts: 270 Member
    Options

2. Weight in heels

Just curious...

1. Olympic lifters let their knees go forward... It shouldn't be excessive, but you don't want to push your hips back... So it's either knees forward or hips back...

2. She is doing air squats. Weight should be over mid foot. Squatting with weight is different.

3. If you sit back without weight, you're going to be unbalanced. Think of your hips going straight down.

4. Leaning forward doesn't equate to slumping. It means bending at the hips. Your back should be natural straight position.
  • Annie_01
    Options
    Thanks guys for the info on proper squat form. Maybe I have worried too much about it in order to protect my knees.

When you have joint problems and are trying to exercise it just doesn't take much to cause you problems. I try to research the best way to avoid that but there is so much conflicting info out there...drives me insane.

I actually enjoy squats and have worked to find a way that my knees allow me to do them. The sumo squats that I do are the only ones that I have tried that don't bother me.

Thanks again...
  • creativerick
    creativerick Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys for the info on proper squat form. Maybe I have worried too much about it in order to protect my knees.

When you have joint problems and are trying to exercise it just doesn't take much to cause you problems. I try to research the best way to avoid that but there is so much conflicting info out there...drives me insane.

I actually enjoy squats and have worked to find a way that my knees allow me to do them. The sumo squats that I do are the only ones that I have tried that don't bother me.

Thanks again...

As great as squats are, they aren't for everyone. It's a compound movement and is hard to learn without proper instruction. Glad you found something that works for you.
  • abellkl
    abellkl Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My trainer had me do a lot of leg extensions to help strengthen my knee since I was having trouble doing squats. I also did the squats down to a stool so that i could take a little pressure off before I came back up. I know how discouraging this can be. I have been and am still there some days. Don't let it get you down. You are making positive changes. Maybe take a little break from stuff that hurts your knee and focus on other exercises. I know squats are great, but not if you can't exercise for days because of them.