Frame size ladies??

Options
Does any one else feel like they will never be "small" like all the fitspo pictures? Because their frame is too big?

I know once I lose enough weight I will look and feel great... But I also want to be small. /:

Any thoughts or input??

Also - feel free to add me if you want more MFP friends for motivation!

Replies

• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Hmmm.. it says you are a neuroscience student and you don't understand this? Please sit and think for a while.
  • ElizaB84
    ElizaB84 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I think you'll be amazed at how your body can change. If you look at the pictures people post in the Success Stories forum, you will see a lot of women that went from looking like they had "large frames", to really fit anfd trim. Its pretty inspiring!
  • gigglesinthesun
    gigglesinthesun Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    someone once told me that you use your wrist size when estimating your frame ... however my wrists have gotten progressively smaller as I lost weight. Also it is hard to judge your frame if you have been overweight for a long time, though your face in your picture doesn't look overweight at all.
  • Alyssawinter1221
    Options
    Hmmm.. it says you are a neuroscience student and you don't understand this? Please sit and think for a while.

That's kind of rude. I am only a sophomore, I'm still finishing my basics /: but thanks anyway I guess.
  • Alyssawinter1221
    Options
    Thanks for all of the inspiring answers! I wish the best for everyone. :)
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    It's true that people have different frame sizes. Don't try to be like a fitspo picture. Those are just photos anyway. Just be fit and healthy for you and appreciate the body you have. Frame size is not determined by wrist size alone. It's more your rib cage, shoulders, and other body measurements.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Oh, I'm big. My frame, that is :) My dad even feels comfortable saying it and compares me to my uncle's sort of body. I'm very womanly with boobs and all, so that doesn't bother me.

I've been as teeny as you can get without needing to be in a hospital (had a disease that needed a diagnosis, so I lost so much weight). That's when it was startlingly apparent just how wide my bones are, lol. It really looked terrible. My ribcage looked enormous that thin.

But my wrists and ankles are small. It's the elbow measurement for determining frame size that shows mine. In real life, you can just look at my shoulders (bones) and ribcage (visible still) to see that I'm big like that, though. No, I will never look like narrow girls. And that's cool :) I'm a Viking! I have seen athletic girls who look like me, so I don't feel weird about it or anything. I'm just kind of stocky for my height. No big deal :)
  • Alyssawinter1221
    Options
    Oh, I'm big. My frame, that is :) My dad even feels comfortable saying it and compares me to my uncle's sort of body. I'm very womanly with boobs and all, so that doesn't bother me.

I've been as teeny as you can get without needing to be in a hospital (had a disease that needed a diagnosis, so I lost so much weight). That's when it was startlingly apparent just how wide my bones are, lol. It really looked terrible. My ribcage looked enormous that thin.

But my wrists and ankles are small. It's the elbow measurement for determining frame size that shows mine. In real life, you can just look at my shoulders (bones) and ribcage (visible still) to see that I'm big like that, though. No, I will never look like narrow girls. And that's cool :) I'm a Viking! I have seen athletic girls who look like me, so I don't feel weird about it or anything. I'm just kind of stocky for my height. No big deal :)

I'm inspired by how comfortable you are with this! I really want to know what my frame size is. My wrist and elbow say "medium"... But what does that really mean? Can I ever be a size 2? Size 4? It's so confusing. I'm sorry I'm ranting.. I've just been thinking about it a lot. :/
  • ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options
    All my life I've thought I've had a big frame (was convinced if I got smaller than a US8/UK12 I'd look gaunt) until I finally cut back on my calories and all of a sudden find myself small (size US6/UK10) and looking better than ever. Ok, not I'm not tiny, I'm 5'8", but certainly now slender.

I'm now convinced the frame size excuse is exactly that: an excuse.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Frame size will influence your clothing size. I am a dancer. All the professional dancers I know are very fit with no extra fat, and we all have different frame sizes. We don't care or worry about clothing size, only to get a good fit.

Also, for people saying it's an excuse, that's not correct. I am not making excuses. I have a small frame, just like people on here have a medium or large frame,
  • becmarkwick
    becmarkwick Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have some truly tiny friends so i undertand. But you now what i think looks gorgeous? I fit healthy person who is confident and happy! Compare catwalk models to fitness magazine models... I know which one i would rather be!

Ooh i have a roundish ribcage too - tiny skinny ribcaged peoples hearts sit very upright, bigger ribcaged peoples hearts sit a bit less upright :0)
  • cafeaulait7
    Options

I'm inspired by how comfortable you are with this! I really want to know what my frame size is. My wrist and elbow say "medium"... But what does that really mean? Can I ever be a size 2? Size 4? It's so confusing. I'm sorry I'm ranting.. I've just been thinking about it a lot. :/

I couldn't, depending on what the measurements are nowadays. I weighed in the mid-80 lbs at 5'6" (when sick) and my hips were 36". My ribcage is 36" around, too. My boob measurement varies, but obviously the ribcage measurement limits certain shirts, and same for the pelvis. No 2's here :D
  • Alyssawinter1221
    Options
    I'm glad you feel that way! And that all you want is a good fit. I just want to fit well into a size 4. :( I want what I want and I can't help it /: I just wanna know if it's even possible with my frame.

I don't agree that it's an excuse.. I mean it is if you say "I'm not gonna work out because I'm big framed and I'll look fat no matter what" but it definitely effects clothing size, I mean, less than 10% of women can be a size 0 bc they are just not built that way.

And of course I'd rather be a fitness mag model than a runway model, but those fitness girls are pretty small too if you look! They are just toned! :)
  • Alyssawinter1221
    Options

I couldn't, depending on what the measurements are nowadays. I weighed in the mid-80 lbs at 5'6" (when sick) and my hips were 36". My ribcage is 36" around, too. My boob measurement varies, but obviously the ribcage measurement limits certain shirts, and same for the pelvis. No 2's here :D

I'm so sorry you were sick. :( I hope you are better!

Hmm.. I've never measured my rib cage. And haven't measured my hips in a while either. Maybe I will. :) except everytime after I measure I feel like a giant monster and feel horrible the rest of the day. /: haha
  • cafeaulait7
    Options
    Oh, better for decades, thanks :D And it's nothing dangerous at all any more :) It freaks me out how skinny I was! But I do know more about my body type at different weights now, lol.
  • starrylioness
    starrylioness Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    I've just learned to accept that I'm tall and have a large frame. We're not all made the same. Everyone is different. Ignore the media and whatever pictures out there you're looking at (thinspo, or whatever) and just focus on getting healthy and loving yourself.
  • Wilhellmina
    Wilhellmina Posts: 757 Member
    Options

Same here! I am massively boned, when I get small I look like a anorexic, so I don't want to get small and am happy with my frame and curves.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I have a small frame according to the wrist size thing, and I don't think I could ever be a size zero because of my shape (hips 10" bigger than waist). All bodies are different.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I have a small frame according to the wrist size thing, and I don't think I could ever be a size zero because of my shape (hips 10" bigger than waist). All bodies are different.

Frame size refers to the overall frame not the ratio. I have a very small frame, but my hips/booty is at least 11 inches bigger than my waist. I just have a very small waist and small rib cage.
  • emboslice94
    Options
    I always thought I had a big frame, but as I've lost weight and begun to see how bony my shoulders, knees and elbows are, I've realized I'm not. Will I ever be fitspo sized? Who knows, check back in a few months ;). I'm comfortable either way.