Dinner Recipes

MissAnjy
MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
edited September 21 in Recipes
Any of you fellow MFP'ers have any spectacular dinner recipes you can share with me & the rest of us?? I'm just getting started here really. I find that breakfast and lunch are easy for me to follow diet wise, but when it comes to supper, i STRUGGLE to say the least. I find that most recipes I find online for healthy eating = ingredients that need to be bought specifically for that recipe and it's $$$ if you know what I mean. I'm looking for recipes that are not extravagant but that taste good & are easy to make with ingredients that aren't so off the wall that you have to spend a fortune to buy it for one recipe alone. I have the worst time counting calories for dinner because I really don't keep track of what I'm putting in spice wise, ingredient wise etc.....

I NEED YOUR HELP!! Dinner is what is pretty much ruining my diet on a regular basis and i get entirely frustrated by it. I work on my diet all day and I'm so proud & then when supper hits, I always somehow overeat (proved by the scale). It's frustrating. Does anybody have recipes that they can share with me? I'm a wife and a mother so (as easy as it would be) I can't just have soup for supper like I would for lunch (or something generally as light as that). I'm cooking for my 2 kids & also my husband so it needs to be more substantial if you know what I mean.

Any help would be very much appreciated :)

Thank you in advance to anyone who takes the time out to post recipes in here that could potentially help me win the battle with my food addiction.

Replies

• pandalady8
    pandalady8 Posts: 34 Member
    I can TOTALLY relate to your plight - I'm the same way. I have the same stuff pretty much for breakfast and lunch, but dinner is so variable that I need to be very careful. I'm also a graduate student, so I have NO time to cook meals anymore. I've been trying to find some quick and easy recipes that share ingredients so that I don't have to run to the store daily. Here's two recent favorites that I found and have made a lot. The only "special" ingredient is Hoisin sauce, which is relatively cheap and is used is most Asian-style dishes. Hope you and your family enjoy!

http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1622507
    http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1906380
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,064 Member
    I find the best thing to do is to plan out meals in advance and start with the biggest meal of the day - if you`re allowed 1200 calories, 500 for the biggest, 400 for the mid-sized meal and 300 for the smallest are good numbers to work with. If you start with the biggest, in your case dinner: 500 calories in a meal is amazing - almost enough to go to some restaurants (I think Applebees has a menu of items with under 500 calories)

My favourite dinners are:
    Honey Mustard Chicken Burgers with Fresh Fruit Salad (368 calories) - Make a fruit salad with cantaloupe, grapes, strawberries & kiwi. Use vanilla yogurt as a dipping sauce. For the burger sauce mix together mustard & honey and mrs. dash and toss chicken breasts in it until all the pieces are glossy. Grill them and add fresh toppings. Serve with multigrain buns.

BBQ Style Beef with Corn Salad and Grilled Potatoes (428 calories) - Dredge Stewing beef with flour and peppercorn seasoning and add to slow cooker. Cut up and onion and green pepper. Add 1/4 cup of ketchup and BBQ sauce and some minced garlic to the slow cooker first thing in the morning on low. When you're almost ready for dinner. Take large potatoes and cut them lengthwise and spray the cut sides with cooking spray. Sprinkle with garlic powder and paprika. Wrap in tin foil and put on BBQ for 20-25 minutes. Chop tomatoes & green pepper up. Add to canned corn. Dressing is red wine vinegar, evoo, paprika, mustard, cumin, black pepper and salt.

Hope those get you going. As you can tell, I love the BBQ.
  • ComfortFoodAddict
    ComfortFoodAddict Posts: 278 Member
    Panda- I copied your links. Gonna check them out :D

Fitterpam-Honey Mustard Chicken sounds good... might just use honey mustard instead of honey and mustard lol... I do have a hard time eating a whole lot for breakfast though.

The only meal I get to eat with my boyfriend is dinner. I just won't sacrafice that time we have together. I do make healthier meals though... plus I have smaller portions than him. I love slow cooker meals! I have just started finding them in the past month. Makes things so much easier! Soups are a favorite that I am excited to get back to as soon as the colder weather gets here.
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    i also cook for two kiddos and a hubby. it is important to plan out your meals so suppertime isn't a shock. i try to plan a week in advance, but if that is too difficult for you right now just plan tomorrow nights supper today. i blog my weekly menu at http://www.everythingisbetterwithcheese.blogspot.com and occassionally include a recipe or two. i'd love to have you stop by and you can send me a message if you want a recipe for something. i'm happy to share.
    dawn
This discussion has been closed.