What do you do when your family brings delicious food?

Options
I checked my diary for the past week. I noticed that I sometimes overeat dinner because my family brings food to eat. When that happens, I forgot that I have to refrain from eating too many. Because of that, I somehow lose my routine. What should I do? If you are also experiencing the same thing, what do you do?

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Work it into your calorie goal, stop eating when goal is reached. Only you can control what goes in your mouth.
  • SweeDecadence92
    SweeDecadence92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Control what you put in your mouth. Exercise restraint.
  • Ciniharts
    Options
    Well I usually know if my family is going to make delicious things and its usually for dinner. So I will make a point to have a very light breakfast & lunch to compensate. I will also workout if its Thanksgiving or something to give myself more calories to work with.

Once eating I will make sure to pay attention to the serving sizes so I don't over indulge. They know I am trying to be healthy so they don't mind if I ask what's been put into the meal also.

Another good trick is to log the items before you eat them so you can see which things are most harmful to your diet and then limit those and indulge in the less harmful ones instead.

There is also the option of just saying a flat out no to some items if you know they will wreck your diet, all you have to say is that you're not very hungry or had a late lunch.

Hope that helps!
  • veredit
    veredit Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Work it into your calorie goal, stop eating when goal is reached. Only you can control what goes in your mouth.
    This. That's the best part of MFP...you can eat anything until you fit it in your calorie goal.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I eat it but keep it to a reasonable portion size.
  • ironclaw79
    ironclaw79 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I guess discipline is really the key
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    you forget? set a reminder lol ;)
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    I usually have notice if someone is coming over and bringing food, so I plan my day to account for it. Then I enjoy all the delicious food, in smaller portions than I used to.. well usually, I'm not perfect and sometimes that food is really delicious and I eat too much, so I come back log the added calories, and start over the next day. I will be doing this for the rest of my life, so will there be days I eat way too much, of course. One delicious meal isn't what made me fat.
  • mtikky
    mtikky Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I had a fairly hefty family dinner last night and went over my calorie count... so I went for a walk.

Result: exercise that I wasn't expecting and excess calories burned off, so I ended the day within my net calorie count.

Yes, everyone's other ideas also work; I know too well how best laid plans can be thwarted by a family meal.
  • NiikouruDesu
    Options
    Eat it. You are very lucky to have family who cooks you meals.
  • joehempel
    joehempel Posts: 1,761 Member
    Options
    I eat it!!!! If they bring food over and it's delicious and it's only a couple times a week....DOWN THE HATCH!
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    What you intend to eat...you will eat.

You can either set this intention unconsciously or consciously. If your unconscious habits are ones of over consumption then this is what will happen.

So, here's what you do.

Serve out on your plate the amount of food you consciously determine it is appropriate to eat before the meal. Keep the portion size reasonable but have whatever you like. It's counter intuitive but don't make the portion size to small. Why? Because that makes it more likely that you will go back for seconds and eat more than you would have done if the portion size had been reasonable to begin with.

As you think so shall you become...