Runners - blisters and toenails - help

Options
TRD66
TRD66 Posts: 310 Member
Upped my running this week for a number of reasons, but I have, now, a problem.

3rd and 4th toes on my right foot have developed what looks to be blisters under the toenails. One had blood in it. I took a bath yesterday to try and soak them and the bllod disappeared, as did one of the blisters (and the other partly). However one of my toenails has now separated at the base.

It's not overly painful, but there is a constant dull throb from the two.

My shoes are newish, but not brand new (Asics) and are not too tight. Perhaps a small bit loose on the sore foot, but that's unavoidable as my feet as slightly different sized.

Anyone experienced this? Any other suggetions?

Thanks

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Depending what's causing this is look at your socks also petroleum jelly around your feet will help also taking your toes. Though from your initial description it sounds like you're shoes don't fit properly.
  • BMD_DOG
    BMD_DOG Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Make sure your toenails are extremely short. I trim mine as short as possible and then file them down further, at least once a week.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    It's nothing unusual I think....
  • MissB46
    MissB46 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I had this once and I lost my big toenail - (I believe its called 'toestrike) and it was the shoes - since I changed my make of running shoes I have no more issues

The shoes I had at the time were made by adidas...
  • roseee311
    Options
    I haven't gotten blisters on my toes from running, but plenty on the rest of my feet. I swear by Wright socks. You can find them at a running store or online. I trained for and ran my first marathon this year in those socks and didn't have a single blister or lose any toe nails. Also, be sure you get fitted by a pro for shoes at a running store. It makes running so much more enjoyable. Happy running!!!
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Small shoes will do this but shoes that are too big can also cause injuries if your foot is able to move around too much. You could be ramming your toes as you land.
  • RyanSolomon
    Options
    I blame the shoe, like the saying goes " if the shoe fits, wear it"
    The same applies if it doesnt fit, i too used to get blisters and damaged toe nails till i changed to a shoe for wider feet, Merrells are the only shoe i will wear these days, i do trail marathons with no socks for 3 days in a row and all i get is smooth feet,
    Basically get your shoe fitted, test your foot strike and buy a shoe accordingly,
    If thats out the question build your mileage slowly and let your feet toughen up
  • pixtotts
    pixtotts Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    As others have said it probably from your shoes not fitting correctly if it's a new thing, too big /too small only you can judge that.
    Obvious suggestion would be to get properly fitted, cheap skate answer (I know I wouldn't be able to afford new trainers) would be try insoles if too big, try different types of socks...

However if you've always had a little bit of it could just be your feet... I'm not saying you have weird feet ...um well I am... but I do, I haven't gotten blisters, but shoes like trainers, pumps, converse , even if I'm just wearing them to do the shopping or something, make it feel like my nails are being pushed into my toes and make them really sore, always have probably always will. Just one of those things... I have weird toes..
  • wolfgate
    wolfgate Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    How far are you running?

No matter what I do, during the peak weeks of marathon training I will get a black toenail or two just from the repetitive stress. Both of the 50 mile races I did resulted in the same thing.

If this is happening with a long run under 10 (and not a large quick increase in LR distance) or with weekly mileage that has gradually increased and is reasonable, then I would look at shoe sizing - despite the fact they seem to fit.

It is no big deal. Little if any pain, they fall off, then grow back.
  • RunnerElizabeth
    RunnerElizabeth Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I get it from long miles in socks with seams. Logic would suggest that i don't wear socks with seams, but I have a problem with a front loading washer that eats socks, so I just wear whatever socks I can find.

Could be the shoes too. And you aren't wearing cotton socks for running are you? Moisture in your socks could be another possible cause.
  • arwenmakin
    arwenmakin Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me that your shoes may not be big enough - your feet will swell during long runs - but I agree socks are also important and worth investing in, (maybe also a net bag to wash them in?!) but falling off toenails are also a hazard of running sometimes too!
  • Irishsquid62
    Irishsquid62 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert but I'm a veteran of four marathons and I've had some experience in this area.

How many miles are you running? Losing toenails is not unusual for distance runners but it typically happens after marathons or other long distance races, not training runs.

Don't underestimate the importance of socks. Cotton socks are horrible and are notorious for causing blisters. Invest in some decent running socks. They make a world of difference. If you're still bothered with blisters, apply a thin coat of petroleum jelly to the problem area before lacing up. When I run marathons, I apply a thin coat over my entire foot.

Lastly...

Next time you're shopping for running shoes, go to running store and get properly fitted. A good running store will have you run on a treadmill, evaluate your running mechanics and recommend the proper type of shoe. We sometimes THINK we know which type of shoe we should be wearing and be completely wrong (I speak from experience).

Some stores can also set you up with custom fitted insoles (i.e. FootBalance). I won a drawing at my local Road Runner Sports a few years ago and they set me up with a free pair of FootBalance insoles. I was so impressed with them that I no longer run without them. Whenever I buy a new pair of shoes, I get new insoles to go with them. They ARE a bit pricey but I swear by them. Something like that might help stabilize your smaller foot.
  • TRD66
    TRD66 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    Guys - thanks all for your comments.

This week has been significantly different because the bike is out. 5 miles in to work on Monday and then the same home again. Another 5 on Tuesday and then both ways again on Wednesday, which is when the problem appeared.

The shoes were not professionally fitted, but I did do a tread test that I took off the website (and was recommended by a couple of experienced runners in the office as well). Easy to say but I think next time I will get a professional fit, just to make sure.

I do like the comments about the socks and the seams as that would fit with where the blisters are. I don't normally do anything longer than 4 1/2 miles, so I've been putting off new socks. I simply wasn't having any problems with cotton ones, but the combo of extra miles, slightly swollen feet and rubbing seams does seem like a sensible explanation.

I'm going to give it a a couple of days and may visit the GP, but we'll see if it's necessary. Socks are a necessity and thankfully the bike should be fixed for next week, and my running can get back to normal levels.

Thanks again everyone.
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I get this during my half marathons. I get tired at the end and start clenching my toes which causes blisters on the tips and nice black snaggle toes. I have tried different socks, body glide, mole skin and I am currently trying a shoe with a wider toe box. Bottom line though is that I need to up my mileage more to support the effort of the race so that my form doesn't break down. I am guessing that the increase in mileage means your form suffered which led to snaggle toe.