Vegan "Chocolate"

Options
ok any vegans, Iv read a few recipes to make things like "chocolate" shakes and they use dates and banana with cacao powder ? For caramel the recipe was a cup of dates 2 tbsp cashew nut butter and a pinch of salt !! I just cant see how this could taste like caramel ?? Have any of you tried this? Does it taste like chocolate / caramel? Im not a fan of dates either so is there a big taste of them still ??

Replies

• tiddles_yeah
    tiddles_yeah Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    You can buy vegan chocolate and most dark chocolates are vegan

Plus, if you want a chocolate shake/cake/baked good just add cocoa powder and some form of natural sweetener :)

For 'caramel' things ive only ever done a caramelised upside down cake and that was basically just melted brown sugar. I didnt eat it as i was allergic to other ingredients but everyone else loved it
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You can buy vegan chocolate and most dark chocolates are vegan
    Actually most dark chocolate is not vegan. The majority still contains milk so check the individual ingredients . They are plenty of good vegan chocolate brands out there.
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Thanks I will have a look about. Just seen the DIY one and wondered did anyone think it actually tasted like what its ment to lol
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Chocolate itself is vegan. Just look for chocolate products that don't contain milk, honey, gelatin, or eggs. Those will be vegan.
  • The_Raspberry
    The_Raspberry Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I sometimes make an awesome chocolate mousse using avocado, cooca and agave. It taste so good, and yes, it tastes like chocolate. You can also mix avocado, banana and cocoa for a chocolate treat!

So I have not tried the recipes above, but similar, and they are great! I think you should give it a go! If it's good, please get back to me so I can do it :D
  • sarahmoo12
    sarahmoo12 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I know I can buy vegan chocolate but I was wondering about recipes that are ment to taste like it ...
    Thanks Raspberry ! Il give it a wee go and see :) I like cooking and trying new recipes
  • waytobeduck
    Options
    bump
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, if you go in expecting a replica, you'll be disappointed. If you go in expecting a new dessert, you might be satisfied. When I want chocolate or caramel, I leave it to the experts, the folks that include masses of brown rice syrup in each and every pre-packaged bite.
  • abrahamsitososa
    abrahamsitososa Posts: 716 Member
    Options
    You can purchase 100% cacao frm rawforbeaty dot com