Distance Runners who have had WLS- Help in fueling

Options
I had the gastric sleeve in May 2012 and have lost 118 pounds. I was walking and doing yoga for exercise but it was taking too much of my time (over an hour a day) so I thought I'd take up running thinking I could do 30 minutes of running instead of 60 of walking. Little did I know I would get hooked on running and have just completed my first marathon.

I run about 35-40 miles a week and usually do a 16-18 mile run on the weekend.

The problem (and who'd have thunk this when I had WLS!?) is refueling after the run. 18 miles burns about 3000 calories and I try to eat back at least 1/2 of that in addition to my usual 2000 calories a day. This is almost impossible.

When I have a long run planned, I eat extra the day before and try to eat high cal, high nutrient foods after the run (peanut butter, nuts, protein shakes, cheese, avocados, etc). And extra again the day after.

I'm interested to know how any other long distance runners who've had WLS manage fueling to run.

Thanks!

Replies

• eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I had the gastric sleeve in May 2012 and have lost 118 pounds. I was walking and doing yoga for exercise but it was taking too much of my time (over an hour a day) so I thought I'd take up running thinking I could do 30 minutes of running instead of 60 of walking. Little did I know I would get hooked on running and have just completed my first marathon.

I run about 35-40 miles a week and usually do a 16-18 mile run on the weekend.

The problem (and who'd have thunk this when I had WLS!?) is refueling after the run. 18 miles burns about 3000 calories and I try to eat back at least 1/2 of that in addition to my usual 2000 calories a day. This is almost impossible.

When I have a long run planned, I eat extra the day before and try to eat high cal, high nutrient foods after the run (peanut butter, nuts, protein shakes, cheese, avocados, etc). And extra again the day after.

I'm interested to know how any other long distance runners who've had WLS manage fueling to run.

Thanks!

Continue to over eat before. So say you need to make up 3,000 calories, over eat by around 1,500-2,000 over the week. Try and get lots of carbs - i like chicken, pasta, pizza, wraps, bread. Good fuel for the race itself.

Afterwards, you could try a recovery milkshake, but you will probably need time to rest and then just eat quite big again.... anything really.
  • twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    Are you sure your calorie burn is correct? Judging by your picture I would guess it would be closer to 100 cals/mile.

I agree to eat your calories weekly. Plan out the weekly exercise calories and spread them across all the days of the week. As long as you are net zero for the week you should be able to maintain your weight.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Are you sure your calorie burn is correct? Judging by your picture I would guess it would be closer to 100 cals/mile.

I agree to eat your calories weekly. Plan out the weekly exercise calories and spread them across all the days of the week. As long as you are net zero for the week you should be able to maintain your weight.

I would agree that 3000 seems quite high for 18 miles. I use an HRM and for my half marathon I think I burned around 1450ish after subtracting out my BMR. You would certainly burn more if you're faster than I am so perhaps you're quite speedy :-)
  • oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Sorry- should have been a 2 not a 3. 2000 according to HRM.

(Could be the same burn if you run fast or slow. If you run 18 quickly, you may burn 2000 because of exertion level, but if you are slow, you still might burn 2000 because of duration)

Thanks for the responses. I do try to eat extra to build up and store, but it's the massive hunger after that doesn't seem to me managed by eating extra in the days before.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Is it solely that you can only eat so much volume at one time? In that case, I would suggest a super high-calorie protein shake after your run. Blend with a banana, ice cream, peanut butter or other favorite treats.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    Sorry- should have been a 2 not a 3. 2000 according to HRM.

(Could be the same burn if you run fast or slow. If you run 18 quickly, you may burn 2000 because of exertion level, but if you are slow, you still might burn 2000 because of duration)

Thanks for the responses. I do try to eat extra to build up and store, but it's the massive hunger after that doesn't seem to me managed by eating extra in the days before.

2000 is perfectly reasonable for that distance. Good luck! Would liquids help much? Like maybe they would move through faster so you could take in more calories? I love chocolate milk after my runs (though you're likely supposed to be low sugar, right?)