Does this seem curious to you?

Options
I joined MFP in late May and have lost 35 lbs. I'm delighted and can definitely see a difference in my clothes. Oddly enough, no one has mentioned a change in me. And to add to the conundrum, I've only lost 2 inches from my waist and 4 inches from my hips.

Now first and foremost, I don't care a whit about whether someone notices my weight loss or not (truthfully!), but I am wondering where the 35-pounds-lost originated from if I can't see it in inches? Perhaps another measurement would tell the tale?? Between my ears ???

All I can say is that MFP WORKS by letting me easily and conveniently hold myself accountable for every bite I take. I admit exercise is the big hurdle for me and always has been, but I'll keep pushing for better daily workouts and even greater health success.

Replies

• FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    ONLY 2" & 4"? What were you expecting?

35 lbs is about right for those measurement reductions.

Depending on what kind of exercises you were doing, and how much you were eating, you no doubt loss some lean muscle mass also. It's inevitable in a calories reduced diet. But the slower you do the weight reduction, the less muscle mass you'll lose, especially with a decent weight training regime, and not just cardio.
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I have so been there! I lost danged near 50 pounds and no one noticed. Granted I lost the weight very gradually, but still, right? Here's what I think happened:
    #1 I know I carry my weight very evenly, so I "look" about the same shape whether I am 200 or 160

#2 Because I carry my weight evenly I didn't really lose any inches until VERY recently, when all of a sudden *magic presto* I started dropping sizes like mad

#3 My hubby didn't utter one word of notice until I started doing significant weight training, then he was all "hey, you're looking fit!"

FYI...the body on my weight ticker is me, and there's only 12 pounds difference between the shot on the left and the end shot on the right...this is when the inches just started to go (finally!)
  • KerryB1977
    KerryB1977 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like you are right on track. I too carry my weight evenly all over my body.True I have only lost 14lbs but in the past no body really noticed a difference in my body until around 45lbs. Just keep motivated and continue doing what your doing and soon enough the comments will come flying! Good luck on your goals sweetie! :bigsmile:
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I carry all my weight around my waist. If you took a picture of me from the thighs down or the chest up, you would never guess I was overweight. But even at that, I would guess I wouldn't lose much more in inches than that with a 35-pound loss.
  • starstealing
    Options
    I have so been there! I lost danged near 50 pounds and no one noticed. Granted I lost the weight very gradually, but still, right? Here's what I think happened:
    #1 I know I carry my weight very evenly, so I "look" about the same shape whether I am 200 or 160

#2 Because I carry my weight evenly I didn't really lose any inches until VERY recently, when all of a sudden *magic presto* I started dropping sizes like mad

#3 My hubby didn't utter one word of notice until I started doing significant weight training, then he was all "hey, you're looking fit!"

FYI...the body on my weight ticker is me, and there's only 12 pounds difference between the shot on the left and the end shot on the right...this is when the inches just started to go (finally!)

wow, only 12 lbs difference?? looks like @ LEAST 20 lbs! :) you must have done a good amount of weight training. that gives me hope!! :)
  • vkpmusic
    vkpmusic Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    It depends on where you carry weight. I gain and drop weight first in my face.,.so 5 lbs shows a BIG difference in photos. After that 5 lbs however, not so much. I have had people ask if I'd lost weight when I hadn't dropped a pound but had firmed up from strength training. My advice is to keep up the great work with the lbs for your health and go with strength training for definition.

2nd question...how do you dress? I mean that literally. Are you buying close that fit and flatter your new shape or are you still shopping for someone 35lbs heavier?

Congrats! I hope I do as well as you!
  • khk2010
    khk2010 Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I have lost 35 pounds since the beginning of May also. 30 lbs. more to go to my main goal. No one noticed for the longest time. Finally a few people have started to notice. But even yesterday my sister-in-law came by and didn't notice. Come on! I lost 35 pounds! Please say something! I guess people are not very observant or are not sure what to say.

I have found the inches have really started to come off one I got to 35. But not much until I hit this point. Clothes size is really changing too.

I know we don't really care what others think but I think we all need to be acknowledged for the work we've done. It's not easy.

Hang in there - 35 pounds is a huge accomplishment!!! You will begin to see the changes.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    People can be cautious about mentioning weight loss. They aren't sure what to say so they say nothing.
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options

wow, only 12 lbs difference?? looks like @ LEAST 20 lbs! :) you must have done a good amount of weight training. that gives me hope!! :)

I know, crazy, huh? Total convert to weight training.
  • beccabeccac
    beccabeccac Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I know when my weight fluctuates the first place I notice it is in my boobs. They just deflate! And no one's going to comment on shrinking boobs. Congrats though on your hard work. 35 lbs. is a great accomplishment.
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    We also have to remember that even though you have lost 35 lbs.....and cannot see inches drop.....we carry fat INSIDE our bodies too. Anotherwords..some people believe the fat is just under our skin hanging out (in my case "hangin") but sometimes it is way more dangerous than that and it lives around our organs....tummy, liver etc...inside our body. This fat is less likely to cause a inch loss.

Just a thought :)
  • BernieMBurke
    BernieMBurke Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Just be patient. After all, you are doing this for yourself, right? Also, I hate exercising too, but am walking 5 - 9 miles 6 days a week. I have even started a little jogging. Be proud of what you have accomplished. :happy:
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    I think weight loss is more noticable if you're weight training. Toned muscles tend to hang fat better! :laugh:

I'm also pretty sure if you're not doing ANY kind of toning, you're probably losing muscle mass as well as fat.

I would definitly try and incorporate some strength/resistance exercises into your weight loss. Doesn't have to be lots, just a couple days per week for 10 - 15 minutes will do it. You'll be amazed how much better you look and feel. And you dont need weights, you can just use your body weight - push ups, planks, squats - that's a full body muscle workout just there :bigsmile:

Congratulations on losing 35lbs, 2 and 4 inches. That is AWESOME!!

Just try and do some toning for your next 30lbs :wink: And people WILL notice! :love:

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I joined MFP in late May and have lost 35 lbs. I'm delighted and can definitely see a difference in my clothes. Oddly enough, no one has mentioned a change in me. And to add to the conundrum, I've only lost 2 inches from my waist and 4 inches from my hips.

Now first and foremost, I don't care a whit about whether someone notices my weight loss or not (truthfully!), but I am wondering where the 35-pounds-lost originated from if I can't see it in inches? Perhaps another measurement would tell the tale?? Between my ears ???

All I can say is that MFP WORKS by letting me easily and conveniently hold myself accountable for every bite I take. I admit exercise is the big hurdle for me and always has been, but I'll keep pushing for better daily workouts and even greater health success.

Four inches off your hips is a massive amount, don't belittle it.

People may not say anything, but I bet they will very shortly. Just continue doing what you are doing, do not give up.

Congratulations on the excellent measurement decrease on your waist and hips, because you deserve it! :flowerforyou:
  • kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options

• kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    First let me say...I might have just reposted your OP when I was trying to reply to it...

Have you purchased new clothes? Are you wearing clothes that are too big and are not showing your figure? A neighbor of mine used to dress in big flowy clothes because she didn't like what was under those clothes. One day...before she had even lost a pound she wore a figure flattering outfit...not tight...it was just actually her size. She looked like she lost 15 pounds with one outfit. After losing 40 lbs she had to get a whole new wardrobe. It was hard to see the 40 pounds in her super oversized tshirts etc. With the new wardrobe she looked fantastic.