3rd shift makes my exercise difficult.

Options
I have been working a desk job for over a year now. I work by myself on third shift. My fiancee and I share a car and work together. So I go in at 11pm and I leave at 7am. He needs to be at work at 3pm. I'm having the hardest time keeping up with workouts because all I want to do is sleep. Its the lamest excuse every but its all that I do these days. I'm overly tired.

The last women who did this job before me gained like 50 lbs because of this shift. You eat at weird hours. You never want to be awake during the day. Being cold out doesn't help either. I just was wondering what had helped some of you guys who had worked strange hours before? I feel very pathetic and I want to be optimistic but at this rate im doomed to over sleep and over eat.

Replies

• bheathfit
    bheathfit Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I work 13hrs; 5pm-6am. Below is your recipe for success:

-Be Patient with yourself!
    -Find a good beginner lifting program. (Muscle burns calories faster)
    -Join Eat, Train, Progress group and read what SideSteel and Sara teach people.
    -Set positive goals and revisit them when you feel down.
    -Track your food. (Every bite)
    -Make certain you eat enough to give you energy and give your body a chance. Don't starve yourself.
    -Pack your lunches in a large cooler.
    -Prepare food for 3 days at a time. (Saves a lot of time!)
    -Always have cold water with you in an insulated container. (Gives energy, hydrates you, saves $$ not buying bottled water)
    -Pack your cooler in the car on days off too. (Have plenty of healthy snacks. Never an excuse to go to McDonalds...)
    -Do a bit of cardio on your lunch. (Stairs, walking, etc...)
    -Workout the same time every day so you have a routine. When you don't feel like going to the gym, go ahead and argue with yourself until you get to the gym. Once you're there, there is no argument left.

You're going to win. Believe in yourself because you are your Best ally in this fight!
  • sewright84
    Options
    bhealthfit has some great tips, but as the wife of a fellow third shifter, here's some things my husband does:

Get on a regular sleep schedule. And get at least 7 hours, any more or less than that for an adult will leave you feeling tired.
    Get dark blinds for your room, the day light might be throwing off your sleep rhythm.
    Start a workout at a specific time everyday! Example: 4pm is YOUR time, and your time alone to exercise, everything else can wait until your done.
    Take a multi vitiamin or at least your vitamin B's... or eat foods that are rich in B's, it's a natural energy source.
    Avoid caffeine! Even decaf has caffeine! Water is your friend!
  • ILoveGingerNut
    ILoveGingerNut Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Don't eat junk. Plan your meals. Keep an eye on calories. Train before work or on your days off.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I work the same shift as you do, 11pm-7am. desk job in IT. I tried many different things and found sleep is my #1 priority. I found I had energy to exercise when I slept well. When I lacked sleep, I would over eat going over my calories and didn't bother exercising because I was too tired.I get off work and go workout in the mornings.
  • charleyreedto175
    charleyreedto175 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Stick with a timed eating schedule. If you get off of work do you go right to bed? Do you unwind? Do you eat. For years I worked all kinds of odd hours. You have to think in your body clock and get a better ebb and flow. Never eat an hour or two before you sleep. You pack on Cal's that way. Watch what you eat and the times you eat. People pack on weight when they feel cheated or over tired. Also it is about what you eat. You know that. I you have questions ask? If you need a friend just click the button. I am here every day and night. lol.
  • AmelieMustLoseWeight
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I do agree that Sleep is the key to functioning successfully. It would be nice to have dark blinds to block out the sun. I have been back to the gym lately with an accountability partner and im hopeful.