HRM suggestions?

inskydiamonds
inskydiamonds Posts: 2,519 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
I'm considering getting a HRM. Which do you guys use and would recommend?

Replies

• jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Polar FT7, that is all you need to know.
  • balfonso
    balfonso Posts: 370 Member
    I've got the Polar F11. Fairly easy to use, but not Mac friendly. This is much better for people with PCs if you want to transfer your data online onto the polar website. Other than that, it's great! My other half has the Garmin FR60 with foot peg which is Mac friendly, so you can easily transfer your data and monitors the distance you've made as well as the calories you've burnt. Just a little bit more pricey.
  • I know everyone says Polar F7, but I just got me the Garmin Forerunner 305, and it is awesome! I love it. So that's the one I recommend. It's a little pricey, but works great!
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    I just got a Polar FT7 not too long ago. I had previously had a different brand from Wal-mart, but I had to keep replacing it, because it would crap out. I love the FT7. I can wear it swimming and it's pretty easy to set up. Whatever you get, make sure it has a chest strap.
  • MacMadame
    MacMadame Posts: 1,893 Member
    It depends on what features you want and what your goals are.

Garmin does the best with the GPS-related features. That's their strength. Polar is the best at the HR related stuff. That's their strength.

Also, it depends on what sports you do. Garmin 305 and 310 are tops for multisport (i.e., swimming, biking & running). Other models are better if you just run or just cycle.

If you mostly workout in a gym, GPS is useless to you and there are certain models that are made for that.

There are also models that work if you wear them 24/7 -- most HRM aren't accurate when you aren't actually working out.
  • polar - whether it be an f7, ft7, f11 - whatever. just get something with a chest strap, to echo another poster here...

also, don't try to get out for cheap. plan on spending some cash on your HRM. if you try to buy one of those crappy $25-$45 HRMs, you're gonna seriously short yourself, waste time, and money.

HRMs are so great to have - i tell everyone this, but they seriously make you push yourself!! : )
  • Kath15
    Kath15 Posts: 165 Member
    Love my Polar FT7!! It's around $100 depending on where you go. I would honestly say that it was one of the best purchases I have ever made. Happy HRM hunting!
  • bpayne78
    bpayne78 Posts: 249 Member
    I agree with others.....go with Polar. I have the F6 (googled recently and found it for about $89-$109). I've had it for several years, am just now replacing the batteries in the watch part. It's encrypted so you don't get interference from workout equipment or other people's HRMs (thus giving more accurate readings) and tracks the basic heart rate and calories burned. It doesn't have GPS or any other extras. You just input your age, weight, height, gender and off you go.
This discussion has been closed.