Slim fast

Options
Hi everyone, I'm thinking of trying out the slim fast diet, has anyone tried it before? Any reviews? Thx

Replies

• codyjash
    codyjash Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've used the Slim Fast shakes and bars in the past as meal supplements/replacements. I can't say that I actually ever had much luck with them. Could just be my body though. Best of luck to you!
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    If any diet requires you to skip normal food in preference for shakes or branded cereal bars then it's not a long term solution for weight loss. Even the name of it is concerning, because sustainable weight loss shouldn't be fast.
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    If any diet requires you to skip normal food in preference for shakes or branded cereal bars then it's not a long term solution for weight loss. Even the name of it is concerning, because sustainable weight loss shouldn't be fast.

Thoroughly check out the ingredients and then make a decision; your answer will be there. Many products have ingredients that will prevent you from losing weight and sometimes cause gain.

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity Group
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

all of this!!!
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options

Thoroughly check out the ingredients and then make a decision; your answer will be there. Many products have ingredients that will prevent you from losing weight and sometimes cause gain.

Joanne Moniz
    The Skinny on Obesity Group

^^ THAT ^^
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    I dont recommend any diets, especially liquid ones. Eat what you like, just in smaller portions to allow you to lose weight and carry out some exercise.
  • KristinaB83
    KristinaB83 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I've tried using their shakes in the past and didn't have any luck.

The only thing that seems to work for me is smaller portions and exercise.

Good luck!
  • lmd_1979
    lmd_1979 Posts: 130
    Options
    I would stay away from that kind of stuff.
  • LuvonLuv
    Options
    I've done the slim fast diet (two shakes and normal balanced meal, with two snacks) years ago, and it has actually helped me to lose weight back then. However, I have found that I can eat anything I want in controlled portions, while counting calories, sugars, carbs, etc. and still lose weight at the same rate. My husband has slim fast regularly but I do not because I know "how" to eat everything I want and yet lose weight.

I would also recommend reducing your portions and regular exercise as the best way to lose weight in a healthy way, rather than to use these shakes.
  • angdpowers
    angdpowers Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I too tried Slim Fast a long while ago ... it actually made me crave sweets MORE! Weird I thought but for me, the more sweets I ate (or in this case drank), the more I wanted. You'd think with all the sugar content in it, that I wouldn't want MORE, but I did. I actually had better luck doing whole or 2% milk and a chocolate protein/whey powder ... and easier on my wallet.

I still drink a protein shake here and there as a meal replacement but only when I want it and not a "twice-a-day" type thing. Took me a while, but I learned that altho I lost weight, it simply did not stay off.

Like suggested, read the ingredients, see how many calories and macros your getting, and see if you can't get something similar (or better) than what that can offers.

Good luck! :)
  • lisahulsizer
    lisahulsizer Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I have tried them and was not successful. The bottle claims to curb hunger for several hours, but I found that I was starving again after an hour of drinking one. I make my own high-protein smoothies now that are so much better than the Slim Fast shakes and keep me full for hours, and I have one once a day for lunch.

I am still new on this journey, but I have had much more success so far this time around eating more healthy (but not depriving myself), and moving a little more.

Good luck! :)
  • kellyblauw
    Options
    I've tried slim fast before.. I didn't do it long enough to find out if it worked because I immediately started noticing my body taking way longer to heal from my workouts. I switched back to real food and I was fine.. So, personally, I wouldn't recommend it, but everyone is different.