Beginner ab workout?????

Options
2»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Not sure of how much weight in the stomach you are talking, but if it's all fat you need to do some cardio to cut that down. Ab workouts will help build muscle but you can have plenty of that hidden under fat.

No.....

Cardio isn't required to lose fat.

Ab workouts don't build muscle. They can build strength in the core, but muscle building (outside noob gains and the morbidly obese) require a caloric surplus along with progression.

I agree, but from a beginner standpoint don't you think it is a good idea to do cardio to increase calorie burns and aid in the process? I would think after about three months OP could back off to like one cardio session a week, if that...

Sure, but they don't "need" to do cardio to lose fat. Also, OP is trying to do cardio DVD's already.

I agree do not need to ...I started off working out full body three times a week and cardio three times a week...when I got down to 15% body fat, I started lifting heavier and backed off all cardio to where now I do one HIIT session and maybe an additional mile or two if I feel like jogging to my gym and back on Sunday...

I just think for beginners it is beneficial and then back off later when they get to lower body fat %
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Not sure of how much weight in the stomach you are talking, but if it's all fat you need to do some cardio to cut that down. Ab workouts will help build muscle but you can have plenty of that hidden under fat.

No.....

Cardio isn't required to lose fat.

Ab workouts don't build muscle. They can build strength in the core, but muscle building (outside noob gains and the morbidly obese) require a caloric surplus along with progression.

I agree, but from a beginner standpoint don't you think it is a good idea to do cardio to increase calorie burns and aid in the process? I would think after about three months OP could back off to like one cardio session a week, if that...

Sure, but they don't "need" to do cardio to lose fat. Also, OP is trying to do cardio DVD's already.

I agree do not need to ...I started off working out full body three times a week and cardio three times a week...when I got down to 15% body fat, I started lifting heavier and backed off all cardio to where now I do one HIIT session and maybe an additional mile or two if I feel like jogging to my gym and back on Sunday...

I just think for beginners it is beneficial and then back off later when they get to lower body fat %

That's fine, but here's the statement. I stated that you don't NEED cardio to lose fat.
    need to do some cardio to cut that down.