Coffee

Options
Does drinking black coffee help with weight loss? It seems when I drink my coffee, it somewhat masks my appetite and helps prevent me from snacking and eating "just to eat." I also drink 14+ cups of water a day so hydration is not an issue.

Anyone else experience this? Is coffee a good solution for long term weight loss? I'm just talking about black coffee....

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    Caffeine is considered a weight loss drug. It can suppress appetite and increases lipolysis (fat burning) among a few other things. However, I would not consider it to be a solution of any sort - especially long term.

For one, people tend to get used to the caffeine over time, so the effect decreases over time. Also, the benefits I described above are pretty insignificant. I drink quite a bit of black coffee most days, but I drink it because I like it - sometimes even decaf! :-0

You would be much better served to just set up a reasonable diet and exercise plan than to spend time worrying about coffee & caffeine.
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    Coffee can be part of a long term weight loss solution for sure but like above poster mentioned it isn't a magic bullet or anything.

I think the main benefits would be energy from the caffeine and it could potentially curb cravings.

I don't eat until noon (personal choice - again not a "magic bullet") and I find that having coffee in the morning helps me sustain that.

Also a sidenote - the actual water in coffee outweighs the dehydrating effects of the caffeine.
  • bgar1585
    Options
    Oh trust me... I am on a diet and do cardio 5 times a week.

Currently on a plan where my calorie limit is 2300 (my TDEE is 2900).

I'm not talking about coffee being the end all be all, but just to help in terms of overeating.
  • otillie03103
    otillie03103 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I am currently on a detox and am not allowed to have coffee. Was told it can cause inflammation in the body. I used to pass out around 7:30pm-8pm on the couch every night and now am up past 11pm. The first week or so is tough without it, but once you do you will feel more awake then when you were drinking it. I drink herbal tea and natural energy vitamin supplements in water now.
  • rdeysher
    Options
    Coffee does the same thing to me! I don't get nearly as hungry as normal when I drink it. I always drink about 2-3 cups of coffee in the morning before I eat anything. It makes me not be hungry until between 9-10am on the weekdays even though I get up a little before 6am. I try not drink more than 6 cups a day. More than that makes me very jittery!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,234 Member
    Options
    Yes, coffee is an appetite suppressant.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I gained weight when I drank black coffee every morning. I lost weight still drinking black coffee every morning, but started eating at a calorie deficit and moving more. :tongue:

But yes, it can be an appetite suppressant, and I find that if I have a cup in the afternoon, it may keep me from snacking before dinner.
  • chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    Options
    It's a stimulant, so yeah, it can suppress hunger. But a big cup of water is a lot healthier. Ginseng is a healthy alternative to caffeine.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,234 Member
    Options
    It's a stimulant, so yeah, it can suppress hunger. But a big cup of water is a lot healthier. Ginseng is a healthy alternative to caffeine.

Nothing healthier or less healthy with coffee or water. If anything coffee has the advantage of having a lot of antioxidants.
  • XTSH
    XTSH Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I need to have sugar / creamer in my coffee so it's not really aiding me in weight loss. I just have one cup every morning.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    I drink black coffee everyday, but I haven't noticed an increase in weight loss. I wish!