Picking A Range

Options
Hi everyone!

I am getting closer and closer to my goal (Sadly I HAVE been there in the past, but need to get BACK) and was wondering how people decided their maintenance range. I commonly see people saying 5lbs... Is this simply (for example) 152-157 or say 147-157?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Wow, congratulations on your weight loss! I am so impressed.

I got to within 5 pounds of my goal and felt I was 'thin enough'. That had originally been my 'goal range' and I felt satisfied at that point. Then I got there, stayed the course and did hit my original goal (plus a pound or two).

However, since my normally weight fluctuations are 3 pounds I would actually say that is my current 'range'. If I am out of that I know something is wrong.
  • arrseegee
    arrseegee Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Basically, yes. Some people fluctuate a lot more than others so in that case a wider range is probably sensible, whereas I fluctuate only 2lb or so over a month. Bear in mind that if you have been on a fairly restrictive diet when you increase your calories to TDEE you will almost instantly see an increase of 3-4 lb on the scale, which is 'water weight', e.g. water that attaches to your glycogen stores in your muscle and liver. There isn't really any way to avoid this unless you intend to eat at a deficit for the rest of your life, so aiming a couple of lb lower than your goal will override this. e.g. when your glycogen stores are replenished you will be at your actual goal weight.
  • sillyli234
    sillyli234 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Why thank you for the compliment. I suppose someone's range is just very specific to the individual. Thank you for your thoughts!