Half Marathon

Options
So, my friends convinced me to sign up for a half-marathon in May. I am terrified but think this will be a good way to finally motivate myself to get back in shape. I have about 20-25 pounds I'd like to lose and am in generally good health (Thank God). I am looking for friends who are training or have trained...and also, is it realistic to be half-marathon ready in about 4 months?
Thank you!

Replies

• twinmom_112002
    twinmom_112002 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    What is your running routine looking like at the moment? I am training for Mountains to Beach which is a May half. I started this week because I wanted a couple of weeks to ease my mileage back up before I hit my training plan.

I recommend finding a good training plan, posting it somewhere visible (mine is on my white board in my classroom) and crossing off the runs as you go. My students get on my case if I miss a run. Accountability is key.

Make sure you track you calories carefully. A lot of people gain weight during training because you become super hungry. Don't overestimate the burn. At my current weight I burn about 98 cals/mile.
  • just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    Do you currently run?

4 months is do-able, even if you aren't a runner. When I did my first half marathon in 2009, although I was running at the time I did a 16 week training program which had me running M/W/Thurs/Sun. Sunday was my long run, Monday was an easy run, Wednesday was either tempo or speed work with an easy run thrown in every 4 weeks, Thursday was a recovery run. I still lifted during the training that I was doing and on my non running days I did the elliptical.

As long as you have a good program you shouldn't have a problem with it.

I'm thinking of doing another one in October. I haven't pulled the trigger on signing up for it yet.
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    A couple of questions... what is your current fitness level?

Do you do any running at this point, or are you starting from the couch?

I went from nothing (as far as endurance sports) to half marathon in just over 6 months... losing about 60 pounds along the way.

The biggest thing I would say is to not expect too much. In that short a time frame I believe you can train to finish, but if you try to set unrealistic time goals and you push too hard you are setting yourself up for injury, IMO.

If you are currently comfortable with running 5K at a time a couple of times a week, then I think you can comfortably get to HM distance in 4 months.
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much running you are doing now. If you are not doing any running at all, that's probably not realistic. Most C25K programs take 9 weeks to get a new runner to 5K. That would leave another 9 weeks to get from 3 miles up to 13. Can be done, but will take a lot of focus and dedication, and some luck. That's a lot of mileage to add on, injury is a possibility. On the other hand, if you are doing any running at all right now, then four months is plenty of time for a half marathon.

Good luck.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    How ready you'll be depends on your fitness level right now and how much train over the next 12 - 16 weeks. There are couch to half marathon plans, Hal Higdon has half marathon plans for beginners. The half I'm doing in June had a training plan and list of tips for success on its site.
  • earmuff111
    earmuff111 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I do run a couple of times a week and can do a 5k comfortably. I am not a fast runner but time isn't as important for me. I just want to be able to finish :)
  • earmuff111
    earmuff111 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    But I haven't ran in a few weeks... i think the Higdon program looks manageable.
  • wombat94
    wombat94 Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    If you can already run 5K a couple of times a week, then I think the Higdon Novice plans will do well for you.

I'd recommend plotting back on the calendar from the HM date and marking off when you will start the formal training plan... then spend the time between now and that date adding running back into your routine.

Try to at least be at the point where you can run 5K 3 times a week by then... and I think you will do fine.

Good luck!
  • MissySpring
    MissySpring Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    My friend also talked me into signing up for a half marathon...luckily, I have until June to prepare. I am working through a 14 week 10k program which will segue nicely into the Hal Higdon half training.

Good luck to you!