Braces and $$$

sarah2954
sarah2954 Posts: 291 Member
I would like some feedback, please tell me if you think this is fair or not :)

My son is getting braces put on in two weeks. He is covered under my husband's insurance (his stepdad). My ex-husband is ordered to pay 100% of uninsured medical costs, but we do better than him financially, and get along well, so to be fair, I've been splitting costs 50/50. (Actually, I pay the copays and don't bother asking for reimbursement from him).

Soooo...braces are $5100. That's $2550 each. My husband's insurance covers $2200. I'm panning to take that off my half, so I owe $350 and the ex owes his half, $2250, rather than splitting the $2900 balance after insurance in half (which I'm sure he would prefer!) My reasoning is that my husband works hard and pays for our insurance. My ex-husband is self-employed and does not have insurance.

I'm planning to pay my $350 up front as the down payment, then my ex can pay his balance over the next 24 months, no interest.

Replies

• BigDaddyRonnie
    BigDaddyRonnie Posts: 506 Member
    From a man who was in a similar position, split the $2900. Your husband would still need to pay for health insurance without your son included. To me that is not a factor. Be thankful you have it as you mention your ex does not.

For the sanctity of the relationship going forward, split the $2900. You've already admitted that you are in a better financial situation.

Do a reversal to help with your decision. What if it was you and your husband that did not have the insurance, and your ex did. You still get along like you say. What would you think would be right for him to do? What would you appreciate the most?

Split the $2900.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,646 Member
    nm
  • Some_Watery_Tart
    Some_Watery_Tart Posts: 2,250 Member
    I think you could do it either way and be well within reason. If the order is for him to pay 100%, then you're working within the parameters of your agreement. If you ask me what I would do--I would offer to split it.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Based on your agreement, it would be perfectly fair for you to pay nothing. With that said, if you can afford it, I'd say split the $2900. It's not really about your husband working hard and paying for insurance, etc. It's about all of the adults in your child's life working together to give him the best that they can. If you can far more easily afford this expense than your ex, the one who will really benefit is your son, since your ex won't have to cut back in other things he might be able to do for him.