Help me with my Carb/Protein/Fat ratio

Options
Hey guys,

Let me tell you a little bit about myself. I'm male, 38 years old, 6'1", 217 lbs. I've lost 18 lbs in the past 2 months, but I wasn't following a certain macro ratio. I was just eating less. I do Power 90 exercises and today I'm on day 46. I workout 6 days a week from home (3 days cardio and 3 days weights). So far so good. I see that my body is changing and I'm getting stronger. My goal is to get down to around 185 lbs. Most of my weight is in my gut. I want to lose my belly fat and have a better body definition all over. So basically, I want to transform myself. I want to go from a tall fat guy to a tall fit guy. My BF% is 22.5%.

I've been sticking to around 1,500 calories a day and I'm more than full. I know I should probably eat more, but I hate forcing myself with food. I'm very comfortable with 1,500 calories per day. My question is. If I want to reduce my body fat % and gain more muscle, should I be eating more proteins than carbs? Should I be eating more carbs than proteins? I'm not clear on the ratio.

The past week, was my first time using MFP. My ratios were around 45% carbs, 30% proteins and 25% fat. This week, I decided to try 30% carbs, 50% proteins and 20% fat. Honestly, I like last week's ratio better. I had more veggies and fruits and that kept me more regular (if you know what I mean), because I had more fiber in my diet.

The bottom line is, if I want to lose fat and gain muscle, what should my macro ratio be?

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    To lose fat, eat more fruits and veggies. There is no one perfect ratio, but do whatever ratio it takes to keep fruits and veggies as a regular part of your diet.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Good job so far. Well, for protein I recommend 1g-1.2g's for every lb of lean body mass considering your trying to lose weight. Generally .3-.4g's for fat and the rest in carbs but those 2 you can play around with, I consume more fats, so my carbs are a little lower. As far as deficit is concerned it's really about how much the body can support that deficit. You have about 47lbs of fat and at around 31 calories for every lb of body fat that can be utilized as energy and for you that's around 1450 calories of deficit, keep in mind this is optimally expressed and the body may not actually get to that number. Considering your height and weight your at the maximum if I use 3000 cals as maintenance. In other words your body may start to liberate amino acids from your existing muscle mass for any short fall. I would recommend that you up your calorie intake a little, just to be on the safe side, maybe 1800, 2000 is better imo.
  • russellvolk
    russellvolk Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your help guys. So let me get this clear. You're suggesting that I increase my caloric intake to about 1,800 calories. Consume about 1g of protein per lb of LBM. Consume about 0.3 g of fat per lb of LBM and the rest is carbs, correct? If that's the case, let me know if these numbers are correct.

LBM = 168 lbs (since my bf% is 22.5% and my weight is 217 lbs, I use the following formula: 217 * .775 = 168)
    Proteins = 168 g (1 g of protein per lb of LBM)
    Fats = 65 g (0.3 g of fats per lb of LBM)
    Carbs = 140 g

Based on an 1,800 calorie diet, my ratio comes out to 31% carbs, 37% protein, 32% fat.

Does that sound about right? I used this calculator: http://macronutrientcalculator.com
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    If you are in a deficit, then you will most likely not gain muscle. You really need to be doing a progressive strength training program and eating a calorie surplus with enough protein for that.

If your primary goal is to shed fat and preserve the muscle, eat at a modest deficit with sufficient protein and some sort of resistance training. Eating at too high of a deficit will, as neanderthin said, lead to your body getting required nutrients from existing muscle. You can get stronger by doing some weights, but not gain much muscle in a deficit.

Putting your numbers into http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ suggests your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is 2953 calories per day. That is how much you would eat to maintain. Your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is 1960, and you shouldn't be eating under this. Using TDEE - 10% (as you don't have that much to lose), that'd put you at around 2600 per day.

So yes, you should eat more!

Have you been tracking to know you are really only consuming 1500 a day? At that much of a deficit, you should have been losing 16 lb a week, which seems extremely high (especially since you said you lost 18 lb in 2 months). I'd bet you eat more than you think.

So keep the protein at 168 g as a minimum, as more certainly won't hurt. Fat looks fine (again, as a minimum). Fill up with some carbs! (I suggest beer and ice cream ;-) )

ETA: Read this! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • russellvolk
    Options
    If you are in a deficit, then you will most likely not gain muscle. You really need to be doing a progressive strength training program and eating a calorie surplus with enough protein for that.

If your primary goal is to shed fat and preserve the muscle, eat at a modest deficit with sufficient protein and some sort of resistance training. Eating at too high of a deficit will, as neanderthin said, lead to your body getting required nutrients from existing muscle. You can get stronger by doing some weights, but not gain much muscle in a deficit.

Putting your numbers into http://iifym.com/tdee-calculator/ suggests your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is 2953 calories per day. That is how much you would eat to maintain. Your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) is 1960, and you shouldn't be eating under this. Using TDEE - 10% (as you don't have that much to lose), that'd put you at around 2600 per day.

So yes, you should eat more!

Have you been tracking to know you are really only consuming 1500 a day? At that much of a deficit, you should have been losing 16 lb a week, which seems extremely high (especially since you said you lost 18 lb in 2 months). I'd bet you eat more than you think.

So keep the protein at 168 g as a minimum, as more certainly won't hurt. Fat looks fine (again, as a minimum). Fill up with some carbs! (I suggest beer and ice cream ;-) )

ETA: Read this! http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Thanks Richardheath. Wow, I can't imagine eating 2,600 calories. I've been tracking my caloric intake for the past 2 weeks using MFP. So yes, I'm eating 1,500 calories per day. Last week, I lost a little over 5 lbs. After changing my ratio to 50% protein and 30% carbs this week, so far I haven't lost anything.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,925 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your help guys. So let me get this clear. You're suggesting that I increase my caloric intake to about 1,800 calories. Consume about 1g of protein per lb of LBM. Consume about 0.3 g of fat per lb of LBM and the rest is carbs, correct? If that's the case, let me know if these numbers are correct.

LBM = 168 lbs (since my bf% is 22.5% and my weight is 217 lbs, I use the following formula: 217 * .775 = 168)
    Proteins = 168 g (1 g of protein per lb of LBM)
    Fats = 65 g (0.3 g of fats per lb of LBM)
    Carbs = 140 g

Based on an 1,800 calorie diet, my ratio comes out to 31% carbs, 37% protein, 32% fat.

Does that sound about right? I used this calculator: http://macronutrientcalculator.com
    Your success in retaining muscle mass and losing fat mass is the right macro ratio for you...... so in that regard, the correct macro ratio only reflects your success and not the other way around.
  • richardheath
    Options
    Thanks Richardheath. Wow, I can't imagine eating 2,600 calories. I've been tracking my caloric intake for the past 2 weeks using MFP. So yes, I'm eating 1,500 calories per day. Last week, I lost a little over 5 lbs. After changing my ratio to 50% protein and 30% carbs this week, so far I haven't lost anything.

Well, weight loss isn't linear, but that is a big deficit!

But what are you planning on doing once you hit your goal weight? Keep on losing 5 lb a week?
  • russellvolk
    Options

Well, weight loss isn't linear, but that is a big deficit!

But what are you planning on doing once you hit your goal weight? Keep on losing 5 lb a week?

I don't think a certain weight is my goal. I think I should be around 185 lbs. My goal is to completely reshape my body. I really don't like my belly now. It's very soft and jiggly. Everywhere else I seem to be ok, but my belly is the problem for me. I want to get rid of my belly, so I can start seeing my abs. They're there, but they're very hard to see. I want to have a better muscle definition. I'm not muscular, which is why I'm doing Power 90 now. Once I finish with Power 90, I will probably move on to either Power 90 Master Series or T25. Not sure yet.

Again, it's not a certain weight that's my goal, it's a certain shape that I'm after.
  • richardheath
    Options
    That's a sensible attitude.

BUT... (and you knew there would be a but) too big of a calorie deficit now, and you lose muscle as well as fat.

And a continued deficit when you hit whatever maintenance turns out to be, and well, you are going to keep on losing weight. But now, since you have virtually no fat, it will be mainly lean body mass.

The goal, as I see it, should be to lose FAT now, not muscle. Then you will have the definition you are after when you get down to a low enough body fat % (about 12-15% is usually when males can start to see good ab definition). AND to have a plan to transition into a maintenance mode when you get there, which means eating at your TDEE.

You also need to be eating enough to actually fuel your workouts.

There is nothing wrong with losing weight fast if you have a lot to lose. But don't plan on 5 lb per week forever: at some point you are going to have to eat closer to your TDEE. Maybe look to add some calorie dense foods as snacks throughout the day? Nuts, peanut butter, avocado...
  • russellvolk
    Options
    One more question. Power 90 is a 90 day program. It consists of working out for 6 days and taking one day off. So I do cardio on Monday, Wednesday and Friday. I do weights on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Sunday is my day off. Each workout lasts about 35 minutes for me. I'm ok with cardio. I do the entire routine without any issues. I'm struggling a little with weights. Seems like I'm out of breath during certain sets. I have to take a little break just to catch my breath.

Do you think increasing my calories will help with my weights routine? Will I be less tired and sluggish? I'm just curious.

I apologize if any of my questions sound silly. I have never workout or watched my nutrition in my life. This is all new for me and I'm trying to learn as much as I can. I really want to do it right this time. I'm fully committed and fully open to any suggestions.
  • richardheath
    Options
    To be honest, I do think you'd do better with some more food in you, yes. Food is fuel. No fuel, no energy. Your glycogen stores (short term energy store in your muscles) are probably depleted as you are not giving your body enough to refill them. Especially if you are consistent with your 1,500 and not having a "refuel" day like some people do (essentially a "cheat day" cram as many carbs in as possible to allow your body to re-stock).

You may have enough energy now for 30 minutes of cardio; possibly you'd be able to go 60 with more food. Or 30, but harder. And lifting will be easier with more energy. You might find yourself breaking through plateaus and lifting more. Of course, there is nothing wrong with taking a break if you get tired - we all do it. It's more of a question of are you operating at maximum efficiency?

I understand the need/want/desire to see the scale moving as quickly as possible, and to get to your 6-pack by summer. But you also have to think more long-term. Is this sustainable? Is it healthy? Is it actually helping you reach your goals or is it hindering?
  • russellvolk
    Options
    Thanks for your feedback. I'm just really worried about consuming so much calories. I have a very sedentary lifestyle. I work from a home office, so I spend most of my day behind a desk.
  • richardheath
    Options
    Even totally sedentary, your TDEE is about 2352. Exercise doesn't actually add *that* much over what you need to live, breathe, move etc.

Thing is, you are losing. Which is good. I get that. But are you losing in the best way possible? And what are you going to do when you get where you want to be?

I am almost your height (5" 11"), and I've maintained for a year and a half at about 2500 cal per day, exercising about 5 times per week. I don't log anymore, but I'm still staying at about 170 lb plus/minus 2 lb. I started out at about 210 at my heaviest.
  • russellvolk
    Options
    Thank you for your help Richard. What you're explaining makes sense. Starting next week, I will shoot for 2,400 calorie diet with 40%(c), 30%(p) and 30%(f) ratio. I'll try that for a week and see how that goes. I guess I have nothing to lose. I will report a week later.
  • LadyBoss_1989
    LadyBoss_1989 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'am having diffculty with the carb/protein/fat ratio as well
  • RyanG2106
    RyanG2106 Posts: 29
    Options
    Hi,

I would seriously suggest increasing your calorific intake, at 1500 your in danger of actually slowing your metabolism (I made the same initial mistake).

Your taller than me and I'm currently going through a maintenance cycle of 2800 calories a day (I lift 4 times a week and do 90 mins cardio a week).

In terms of Macro break down you should aim for 1g protein per lb of body weight, Fat at 0.45g per lb and the rest of the calories made up in carbs.

So for me on 2800 calories I have 195g of protein, 79g of fat and 330g of carbs everyday.

Your protein and fats remain constant (unless you do a total reset which is only needed about every 3 months), you just adjust the carb levels.

I recommend increasing you calorie intake by 100 calories a week (more than this will shock your body into store mode) and as you increase it increase the carbs by 25g (1g of carbs is 4 calories). Keep increasing the calories and the carbs until you hit maintenance and then keep it there for about 3 weeks (it gives your body's hormone levels time to reset), and then you can decrease your intake for weight loss (again lower it by 100 cals a week in the same way you raised your cals).

This method is extremely helpful for knowing your levels for if you ever decide to bulk (put muscle on).
  • RyanG2106
    RyanG2106 Posts: 29
    Options
    So based on you weight at 217Ib I'd suggest the following breakdown for a 2000 calorie intake

Protein 217 g = 868 caloies (1g = 4 calories)
    Fat 97g = 873 caloroes (1g = 9 calories)
    Total Calories between the 2 is 1741 calories (you now see why 1500 is far to low)

2000 - 1741 = 259 calories left for carbs (1g = 4 calories)

259 divided by 4 is 65g of carbs on an initial 2000 calorie diet.

As you increase your callories by 100 a week your carbs also go up by 25 g.

So 2100 will have 90g of carbs
    2200 - 115 carbs etc
  • LadyBoss_1989
    LadyBoss_1989 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11 and currently weight 135lbs.....